Gil Brandt on Romo

mcnabb, cassel?

McNabb who was a far superior QB in terms of accomplishments (4 NFC title games, 1 Super Bowl) was traded for a second and third. That didn't work out too well for the skins.

Matt Cassel was also traded for a second round pick. Also worked out very badly.

Drew Bledsoe, ironically, was traded for a first and that worked out terribly.

Once again, you're insane.

If he gets traded it wont be for less than two 2nd rounders.

Thank goodness you're not calling the shots at OBD.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Zona giving Dallas a first for him. Think about it. Fitzgerald is not getting any younger. They just spent their last first rounder on Floyd. They have a good D. They need a couple tackles on the online. But other than that a Romo would make them an instant contender. This is also the same ownership i believe which saw Kurt Warner come in and make them a SB team. Ownership may consider this a similar move?

What's with people wanting him? Everyone here would be calling for his head if he threw three pics in the teams shot at a playoff spot. If we could get him cheap enough he would be a good stopgap player while we develop a rookie QB either from this draft or next but nothing more than that.

What's with people wanting him? Everyone here would be calling for his head if he threw three pics in the teams shot at a playoff spot. If we could get him cheap enough he would be a good stopgap player while we develop a rookie QB either from this draft or next but nothing more than that.

Despite his failures in big games, his still some kind of gigantic upgrade over anything we've had since Kelly. He's got a career QB rating of 95 and interceptions aren't as crazy as you'd think. I can't see him ever winning a SB, but he definitely wins. He's 55-38 as a starter. Looking at available options at QB, I just don't know that there's a better one if we need someone ready to go for next season. Perhaps Alex Smith, but he's an even bigger question mark.

In terms of value, Romo is worth a first rounder - probably just in the second half of it. I think the extreme success of 1st and 2nd year quarterbacks the last two years are part of the reason. If you're holding onto a top 10 pick and need a QB, why trade for a 33 year old guy when young QBs are excelling? The Carson Palmer trade was some kind of miracle for the Bengals, that kind of nonsense isn't happening again.

If we could trade our 1st rounder of next year I'd do it. In theory Romo + a Lovie Smith caliber coach could put us at *at least* 7-9 making a 2013 first rounder in the teen range or worse. I guess I'd probably do it for this year's first rounder, but just not clear yet on who might target at 8.

In the end, I simply don't see the Cowboys letting go of him. Where's their upgrade at QB if they do? I could have seen it if they wanted to jump in the Peyton chase last year, or if perhaps Brees was still an option. As it stands, the reason I'd want him is the same reason the Cowboys wouldn't want to let him go - no bigger QB name available this offseason.

Edited by disco

he is a royal choker--thats not gonna change at his age. a big reason Dallas hasnt advanced is his consistent choking. That said--of course he is better than what we have now. But it would be a waste of years if we brought him in. Lets get a guy who is not proven to be a habitual choker. Thats better than getting a guy who will imporve us from 6-10 to 8-8.

I can understand why people don't want him. He chokes. I feel as I do because I want to see a good QB in buffalo. I'm tired of these absolute bums. Romo is not a bum. He's good. He's not great. He likely won't win us a SB, but he's got a good chance of getting us to the playoffs. I'm tired of watching games that don't matter. I don't view it as a waste of years either. We need to turn the losing culture around. If we draft a QB this year and start him day 1, there's a good chance we lose this season. I think we can win games and make the playoffs with romo. Let the rookie sit and learn and take over in a couple years. I'm tired of losing and there aren't many qbs available this year that, IMO, can lead us to the playoffs next year.

he is a royal choker--thats not gonna change at his age. a big reason Dallas hasnt advanced is his consistent choking. That said--of course he is better than what we have now. But it would be a waste of years if we brought him in. Lets get a guy who is not proven to be a habitual choker. Thats better than getting a guy who will imporve us from 6-10 to 8-8.

I can understand why people don't want him. He chokes. I feel as I do because I want to see a good QB in buffalo. I'm tired of these absolute bums. Romo is not a bum. He's good. He's not great. He likely won't win us a SB, but he's got a good chance of getting us to the playoffs. I'm tired of watching games that don't matter. I don't view it as a waste of years either. We need to turn the losing culture around. If we draft a QB this year and start him day 1, there's a good chance we lose this season. I think we can win games and make the playoffs with romo. Let the rookie sit and learn and take over in a couple years. I'm tired of losing and there aren't many qbs available this year that, IMO, can lead us to the playoffs next year.

Incoherent? Look, tell me you don't like my firm, you don't like my idea, or you don't like my necktie, but for gods sake don't tell me you'd trade a first round draft pick for tony romo.

It's probably a moot point, but if he does get traded its wont be for more than a third round draft pick. I can promise you that.

This isn't fantasy football were talking about. Sure, romo has great stats, but he just doesn't get the job done when it counts.

Yes, I would.

I second that. While I'd try and get it done with a 2nd or combination of non-1st rd picks, if it came down to it, I'd give up the 8th pick for him. There aren't many options out there. Behind a better Oline and a great running game, I think Romo would work out just fine for a few years. Draft a QB to groom and I'd be happy. Sure, he chokes a lot in big games, but he's always in big games. And he's in big games because he's good. The bills on the other hand, have only had one big game in the last 12 years. Mainly because our QBs aren't good enough to lead the team to one.

very well said

he is a royal choker.

i honestly think that chocker/big game player is pretty overrated. guys do what they have to do in a game and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt. which way it goes depend dice rolls as much as anything else and defines how fans look at that player

examples:

brett favre was viewed as mr clutch bc he made some big plays in big moments early in his career. that label stuck to him LOOOONG after he had demonstrated that he was just as capable of the big choke as the big play. it wasnt until he single handedly lost a playoff game by throwing a ridiculously stupid pass that people started to realize maybe he wasnt so magic after all

eli manning has had similar regular season production as romo, actually less, and yet hes viewed as a big game player bc he made a few key plays that helped them win superbowls. but think about the nature of those plays - he was in desperation mode and was basically chucking the ball all over the place. frankly, it was hugely lucky for him to not end in disaster. he did what he had to do and it worked out, now hes a hero

both those guys are good but they are not vastly superior to romo or any other qb with terrific regular season results that dont happen to translate into playoff glory. with that much experience, i dont think the size of the game has any bearing on their performance. when you have that kind of sustained statistical success over a long period the results in a very small handful of games is really just the rolls of the dice lining up for some guys and not others

if the girls are dumb enough to let him go now id love to have him here

Comparing Romo, a guy who's never been past the divisional round in the playoffs to a future HoF'er and likely HoF'er who's won one and two Super Bowls, respectively, is a huge leap.

Romo on the Bills as a cheap stop gap is not a bad idea. Trading the 8th pick in the draft for a perennial loser only sets us back further.

Cutler?

Cutler is a good example. I think it's been mixed results but you can make the argument that the Broncos are much better off than the Bears.

Generally speaking, when a team is willing to trade it's starting QB, it's because he's got some serious flaw. No thanks on Romo

http://www.nfl.com/n...ter-latest-loss

How do you value a guy like this (Top 5 arm, big numbers, Into his 30's, big game track record)? Keep in mind what the asinine Raiders paid for Carson Palmer.

Would this be a suitable guy to have as we develop the next QB underneath?

I think you have a nice 3-4 years with Romo. New spot, smaller market, less pressure.

I think we're a 10 win team with Romo this minute.

Big arm, mobility, throwing on the run. Paired with our backs and OL.

Do you give up our 1 this year straight up for Romo?

Romo doesn't play defense.

Ummm...don't we already have a QB that throws INT's at crucial points in games?

No thanks. :thumbdown:

Very true but it would be nice to have a QB on the roster that could actually complete a pass once in awhile over 10 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ter-latest-loss

How do you value a guy like this (Top 5 arm, big numbers, Into his 30's, big game track record)? Keep in mind what the asinine Raiders paid for Carson Palmer.

Would this be a suitable guy to have as we develop the next QB underneath?

I think you have a nice 3-4 years with Romo. New spot, smaller market, less pressure.

I think we're a 10 win team with Romo this minute.

Big arm, mobility, throwing on the run. Paired with our backs and OL.

Do you give up our 1 this year straight up for Romo?

NO NO & NO Romo is a lot better than what we have but to give up a #1 that's just foolish . My opinion which ain't worth a bunch but you asked !!

Edited by T master

Comparing Romo, a guy who's never been past the divisional round in the playoffs to a future HoF'er and likely HoF'er who's won one and two Super Bowls, respectively, is a huge leap.

Romo on the Bills as a cheap stop gap is not a bad idea. Trading the 8th pick in the draft for a perennial loser only sets us back further.

55-38 and hes a loser? just quit it. newsflash bro thats triple the W's buffalo has had.............just cut it out.