Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read, seems the complaint in Chicago is that things just seemed stale or "old". No thanks. If that's the feeling he left everyone with in Chicago, I'm sure he'd bring that to Buffalo with him. No thank you.

thats any coach after long enough

From what I've read, seems the complaint in Chicago is that things just seemed stale or "old". No thanks. If that's the feeling he left everyone with in Chicago, I'm sure he'd bring that to Buffalo with him. No thank you.

But the "stale and old complaint" wouldn't have anything to do with him coaching there for 9 years?

You have to be sarcastic, right?

After last year's off season, I think anything is possible in regards to attracting high profile coaching candidates and players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lovie Smith or Gruden sign on.

Lovie and Rod Marinelli would have a blast with our defense while Gruden would automatically give credibility to the Bills and would send a major statement to the league that the Bills are serious once again about winning.

I believe a lot of you are undervaluing Lovie Smith.

The guy is an excellent coach and leader who generally has his teams over-achieving IMO.

They consistently play hard.

The guy took a team to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as the QB for God's sake.

Smith would be a good hire. Defense would be aggressive and effective.

Would need to hire a good OC though.

After last year's off season, I think anything is possible in regards to attracting high profile coaching candidates and players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lovie Smith or Gruden sign on.

Lovie and Rod Marinelli would have a blast with our defense while Gruden would automatically give credibility to the Bills and would send a major statement to the league that the Bills are serious once again about winning.

I'd be thrilled to have either one of them as Bills HC.

By your logic we should hire Norv Turner then.

I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion from what he said. Norv Turner is nowhere near as accomplished

a head coach as Lovie Smith. Not even close.

9 years with one organization

81-63. Average of 9 wins per season.

Playoff appearances. Two NFC championship games. One Super Bowl.

Teams were consistently competitive.

Defenses amongst the best in the league year in and year out.

I'm not saying he should be hired. But he wouldn't be a bad one by far.

Edited by purple haze

Okay, we know what you're against. What's your idea for the next Bills HC and why?

Progressive offensive mind that can adapt to roster (whether it's a college coach or young assitant)

Agressive in game coaching mentality, attention to detail in game

Somebody with a strong personality that can install a culture change and add a swagger.

Progressive offensive mind that can adapt to roster (whether it's a college coach or young assitant)

Agressive in game coaching mentality, attention to detail in game

Somebody with a strong personality that can install a culture change and add a swagger.

All excellent traits/philosophies. So who fits the bill?

But the "stale and old complaint" wouldn't have anything to do with him coaching there for 9 years?

You have to be sarcastic, right?

Well, I wasn't actually being sarcastic, but point taken -- there is certainly an excuse for that feeling in Chicago. I just think a good head coach kind of had to re-invent himself periodically to stay fresh. How one does that, I don't know.

Well, I wasn't actually being sarcastic, but point taken -- there is certainly an excuse for that feeling in Chicago. I just think a good head coach kind of had to re-invent himself periodically to stay fresh. How one does that, I don't know.

Maybe they could ask Lindy Ruff (and do the opposite)?

Can the fans try and break out of retread losers as coaches? Maybe as a defensive line coach though.

Those players look like some coaching is needed.

How is Lovie Smith a reject loser? And what realistic option would you prefer?

Uh.. no.. Norv Turner ruined the Chargers..

I don't want him here, but Norv didn't destroy the Chargers. They don't have the talent they did when he got there. That's on the GM.

Maybe they could ask Lindy Ruff (and do the opposite)?

Good one!

I also thought using Belichick as an example, but then realized that Belichick gets to re-invent himself every time that spy/eavesdropping equipment undergoes technological improvement, so unfair to compare Lovie to Belichick.

honest answer - you win a superbowl. after 3 years you have to get to the playoffs, at a decade you either win a super bowl, or as soon as you miss the playoffs things can go bad quickly (see lovie, andy reid, etc...)

Why not Lovie? Barbarian and Bills Forever seem to think its a terrible idea. I suspect they would prefer Jon Gruden who's record in the league is comparable to Lovie. I like the idea of Lovie Smith as the Bills next head coach and just the thought of Rusty Jones possibly being part of his staff really intrigue me.