Obama signs Warrantless FISA bill

/dev/null

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to do this to an American they need to get a warrant. So what's the big problem?

and where the f$#@ was that comment from you when Bush did it??? Obama comes in, EXPANDS the warrantless search, and your good with it now???

A22 h01es do vex me!!!!!

crawl back in a hole somewhere with this crap....

Edited by Cinga

and where the f$#@ was that comment from you when Bush did it??? Obama comes in, EXPANDS the warrantless search, and your good with it now???

A22 h01es do vex me!!!!!

crawl back in a hole somewhere with this crap....

And you're still frothing at the mouth like you were on "the other board".

If you recall correctly, Bush was wiretapping American citizens without a warrant. I believe I was told by you and others that I have nothing to fear unless I have been consorting with known terrorists.

My answer was that if I have been consorting with known terrorists the government should have no problem getting a warrant.

This concerns wiretapping people that are not American citizens outside of the US. See the difference?

Not to mention you were frothing at the mouth back then about how we were taking away the presidents tools to fight terrorism. Now a dem holds the office, and is using a system that is not outright illegal as wiretapping American citizens without a warrant, and it's an affront to everything that is American right?

Crawl back in a hole with this crap...

If you recall correctly, Bush was wiretapping American citizens without a warrant. I believe I was told by you and others that I have nothing to fear unless I have been consorting with known terrorists.

My answer was that if I have been consorting with known terrorists the government should have no problem getting a warrant.

This concerns wiretapping people that are not American citizens outside of the US. See the difference?

Not to mention you were frothing at the mouth back then about how we were taking away the presidents tools to fight terrorism. Now a dem holds the office, and is using a system that is not outright illegal as wiretapping American citizens without a warrant, and it's an affront to everything that is American right?

It's an extension of same law. Get a clue.

Really? Evidence? Link?

let me repeat so maybe you understand this time....

Obama came in, and EXPANDED the Patriot Act!!! BEYOND anything Booooosh imagined, but obviously, not what you imagined Booosh was doing....

But now, since it's Obama doing it, you, and all your ilk, are fine with it... I get it.... He has a D after his name for A22hole...

And for the record, I NEVER defended this crap over at the other board. And in fact voiced my opposition BECAUSE I felt it would open the door for a future POTUS (Obama it appears already) to expand on or never get rid of. Government never gets rid of a temporary law, or tax that grants them more power...

Now, it's too bad that all the crap over at the other board is archived, but there are enough refugees here to verify all this. Believe me, I would love to pull up how you hated Boooosh because of the Patriot crap, only now to find your ok with it....

let me repeat so maybe you understand this time....

Obama came in, and EXPANDED the Patriot Act!!! BEYOND anything Booooosh imagined, but obviously, not what you imagined Booosh was doing....

But now, since it's Obama doing it, you, and all your ilk, are fine with it... I get it.... He has a D after his name for A22hole...

And for the record, I NEVER defended this crap over at the other board. And in fact voiced my opposition BECAUSE I felt it would open the door for a future POTUS (Obama it appears already) to expand on or never get rid of. Government never gets rid of a temporary law, or tax that grants them more power...

Now, it's too bad that all the crap over at the other board is archived, but there are enough refugees here to verify all this. Believe me, I would love to pull up how you hated Boooosh because of the Patriot crap, only now to find your ok with it....

As I recall, I defended this crap on the other board, and actually argued my support against your non-support. Meh, we right wingers are all the same.

If anyone blames this mess on Presidents Bush and Obama, go buy a clue. The bills don't just show up on their desk, by themselves. They have to make it through Congress. Wait till the National Defense Authorization Act gets sign, which allows for indefinite dention of citizens, since the language banning that has been removed by Congress.

• 5 months later...

http://usnews.nbcnew...zon-report?lite

The Obama administration is defending the policy of gathering phone records from American citizens while neither confirming nor denying a report that the National Security Agency is collecting information regarding communications by Verizon customers.

Such information has been “a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats,” a senior Obama administration official said.

“On its face, the order reprinted in the article does not allow the government to listen in on anyone’s telephone calls,” the official said.

The practice was first revealed by the British newspaper The Guardian on Wednesday, which obtained and published a highly classified court order that requires the production of “telephony metadata” by the telecommunications giant.

The order, marked "Top Secret" and issued by the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court instructs Verizon Business Network Services, a subsidiary that provides internet and telecommunications provider for corporations, to hand over data including all calling records on an "ongoing, daily basis.”

Signed by Judge Roger Vinson of the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court in April, the order requires the “production of certain call detail records,” and is set to expire on the evening of July 19, 2013. The order pertains to information including the phone numbers making and receiving the call, as well as the time the call was made and how long it lasts. It does not include the “name, address, or financial information of a subscriber or customer,” according to the order.

The order “does not require Verizon to produce telephony metadata for communications wholly originating and terminating in foreign countries,” according to the document.

News of the order, which has not been independently verified by NBC News, comes after the Obama administration has taken fire for a Justice Department subpoena of Associated Press phone records.

Edited by 3rdnlng

For those lost souls who only believe the NYT;

U.S. Is Secretly Collecting Records of Verizon Calls

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is secretly carrying out a domestic surveillance program under which it is collecting business communications records involving Americans under a hotly debated section of the Patriot Act, according to a highly classified court order disclosed on Wednesday night.

The order, signed by Judge Roger Vinson of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court in April, directs a Verizon Communications subsidiary, Verizon Business Network Services, to turn over “on an ongoing daily basis” to the National Security Agency all call logs “between the United States and abroad” or “wholly within the United States, including local telephone calls.”

The order does not apply to the content of the communications.

http://www.nytimes.c...s.html?hp&_r=1

A.P.;

Secret court order requires VERIZON to hand over 'telephony metadata'...

Forbes;

Specifically targeted Americans, not foreigners...

The "Right Wing" is upset.............must be racism............................sarcastic joke alert

ALGORE: 'Obscenely outrageous?' ...............................

I was paying attention throughout the Bush years and liberals collectively **** a brick over FISA. The fact that some of them are not only OK with this but actually defend it, proves beyond all doubt that these people have no objective position on these issues & will passionately and unquestioningly follow whatever their political heroes tell them to think. They fully embody the role of useful idiot. This is why I have more respect for outright Marxists than your average big D Democrat.

right or wrong...tragic or not...most people don't care simply b/c it is still impossible for anyone to imagine being personally violated

Sad but true. Erwin Chemerinsky is fond of saying that any time the justices can conceive of something actually happening to them they're likely to find a 4th amendment violation.

I was paying attention throughout the Bush years and liberals collectively **** a brick over FISA.

Don't worry, all the "progressives" that were here daily during the Bush Admin will be here any minute to decry this 'shredding of the Constitution.' Right nozzlenut? PastaJoe? Coli? TPS?

I was paying attention throughout the Bush years and liberals collectively **** a brick over FISA. The fact that some of them are not only OK with this but actually defend it, proves beyond all doubt that these people have no objective position on these issues & will passionately and unquestioningly follow whatever their political heroes tell them to think. They fully embody the role of useful idiot. This is why I have more respect for outright Marxists than your average big D Democrat.

Sad but true. Erwin Chemerinsky is fond of saying that any time the justices can conceive of something actually happening to them they're likely to find a 4th amendment violation.

I like the ones that are arguing "It's Bush's fault."

Yeah, even if this were a Bush administration program...where's your "Change" now, fools?