Roster better now than it was 3 yrs ago?

Maddog69

So many people here say without question that the roster is much better now than it was 3 years ago. But I honestly don't believe it is. If at all, I think it is marginally better at best and it seems that the rest of the league agrees. The Bills have nobody going to the probowl while 2 players (Whitner and Lynch) who were here 3 years ago are going. I think our O-line is clearly better than 3yrs ago. Almost every other position is either the same or worse.

So many people here say without question that the roster is much better now than it was 3 years ago. But I honestly don't believe it is. If at all, I think it is marginally better at best and it seems that the rest of the league agrees. The Bills have nobody going to the probowl while 2 players (Whitner and Lynch) who were here 3 years ago are going. I think our O-line is clearly better than 3yrs ago. Almost every other position is either the same or worse.

Pro Bowl voting is directly correlated to a winning record. Jairus Byrd is playing at a Pro Bowl level, as are others...but with our record there is no way they're getting voted in.

If you don't see the improvements on the Oline and Dline, then I don't know what to tell you.

Pro Bowl voting is directly correlated to a winning record. Jairus Byrd is playing at a Pro Bowl level, as are others...but with our record there is no way they're getting voted in.

If you don't see the improvements on the Oline and Dline, then I don't know what to tell you.

The Kansas City Chiefs have 5 pro bowl players

Talent -- better now than three years ago at almost every position

Coaching -- worse now than three years ago, particularly at the most important positions (HC, OC/playcaller, DC)

That explains a lot with respect to the W/L record.

Talent -- better now than three years ago at almost every position

Coaching -- worse now than three years ago, particularly at the most important positions (HC, OC/playcaller, DC)

That explains a lot with respect to the W/L record.

Agree 1 million percent. Our playcalling and game planning is horrendous.

A better coach could get a lot more out of the current roster.

I know FItz has limitations but I think he takes too much blame for our problems. I think Chan put him in position to fail way to often rather than building a gameplan to cover his weaknesses and take advantage of his strengths and the strengths of our roster (Spiller/Freddy).

I would be fine with Fitz staying as long as Chan is GONE and legit competition is brought in at the QB position either in the draft or FA

Agree 1 million percent. Our playcalling and game planning is horrendous.

A better coach could get a lot more out of the current roster.

I know FItz has limitations but I think he takes too much blame for our problems. I think Chan put him in position to fail way to often rather than building a gameplan to cover his weaknesses and take advantage of his strengths and the strengths of our roster (Spiller/Freddy).

I would be fine with Fitz staying as long as Chan is GONE and legit competition is brought in at the QB position either in the draft or FA

I agree with this assessment. Chan continually shoots from the hip on game day with this offense. The most important pieces to this puzzle are shaky at best HC, DC and QB but IMO Fitz could benefit from a playaction approach and ditch the spread/ empty backfield set.

IMO the roster is better.....but not by much.

QB = chop

2009: Fitz

2012: Fitz

RBs = 2012(slight edge)

2009: FJ & Lynch

2012: FJ & CJ

WRs = 2009

2009: SJ, Evans, Reed, Owens

2012: SJ, Jones, Graham, Smith

OL = 2012

2009: Wood(rookie), Levitre(rookie), Kirk Chambers, Jonathon Scott, Hangartner

2012: Wood, Levitre, Cordy Glenn, Erik Pears(Hairston), Urbik

TE = 2012

2009: Nelson

2012: Chandler

DL = 2012

2009: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Kyle Williams, Marcus Stroud, Spencer Johnson

2012: Mario Williams, Anderson, Moore, Kyle Williams, Marcel Darius, Carrington

LBs = chop

2009: Posluszny & a bunch of other scrubs

2012: Bradham, Sheppard, Barnett

DBs = 2009

2009: Florence, McGee, Corner, Whitner, Byrd(rookie), Wilson

2012: Gilmore, Williams, Rogers, Byrd, Wilson, Searcy

Whats your logic that KC has 5 guys heading to the Pro Bowl...5!!!!

Even if the talent is marginally better now than in 2009...........it's still not good enough to have a winning record or make the playoffs. Would Dead Jauron have won with this team? Probably not. W/L record is pretty much an indication of your talent compared to the rest of the league in a given year. 2009 or whatever year has nothing to do with this year and this year has nothing to do with next year. Such an irrelevant arguement as to whether or not this team is more talented than the team three years ago. They both had losing records, they both missed the playoffs and they were both miles away from the top of the NFL.

the only thing better is the O-line, other than that every thing else has regressed besides RBs which we always seem to have.

I think without a doubt the talent is better on the roster. I think if you gave Jauron's coaching staff this roster he would have had the team in the playoffs.

Man thats a sad statement, but probably true :bag:

Thats with JP Losman & Trent Edwards, and Turk Schonert calling plays...wow just wow. Gailey sucks. I knew the players loved Jauron, and played their hearts out for him. Jauron'

the only thing better is the O-line, other than that every thing else has regressed besides RBs which we always seem to have.

D line is better now IMO

The O line in 2007-2008 was better save the center position. Then Jauron scuttled the O line in 2009 cutting Dockery, Walker, and trading away Peters

s failings were the schemes he ran and lack of an experienced OC.

QB = chop

RBs = 2012(slight edge)

WRs = 2009

OL = 2012

TE = 2012

DL = 2012

LBs = chop

DBs = 2009

At this point, I think you can call the DL a chop too. I expected them to be a ton better, but they did not play like it this year.

The depth is much better now on both sides of the ball than it was three years ago.

The injuries to starters are about the same, unfortunately, and that accounts for a lot.

The backups are better, but having to play them all the time reflects in the W/L columns too.

QB = chop

RBs = 2012(slight edge)

WRs = 2009

OL = 2012

TE = 2012

DL = 2012

LBs = chop

DBs = 2009

Well thought out and put together.

I disagree only regarding RB (I'd give the slight edge to 2009, but imagine what a Lynch/Spiller pair might have done), and DL (shouldn't be with the $$$ they spent but again, a slight advantage to 2009).