Video: Huge-A$$ Eagle snatches kid from park

DrDawkinstein

I don't think the kid was too heavy. Golden eagles pick up animals that are much heavier (I'm talking sheep and goats in some instances) and their method of predation is to carry the animal to a hundred feet and then drop it.

I think what saved the kid was the material on his winter jacket. The eagle probably got confused by the balance of the weight and the feel of non-flesh. And then the people started screaming and waving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7FFlFy8eM

Geeze Louise! You had to show that to us!

Anyway... That is what I was thinking when I posted earlier... Take the prey high enough and then drop it... Less of a fight! Heck, no fight. Like going to the supermarket for your steak!

I don't think the kid was too heavy. Golden eagles pick up animals that are much heavier (I'm talking sheep and goats in some instances) and their method of predation is to carry the animal to a hundred feet and then drop it.

I think what saved the kid was the material on his winter jacket. The eagle probably got confused by the balance of the weight and the feel of non-flesh. And then the people started screaming and waving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7FFlFy8eM

Can they actually lift stuff that size? The ones in that video were in very convenient locations for the eagles, where they could drag them off the side of the cliff and then glide out to a good dropping spot. Either way, that's a very impressive bird right there. I'd love to get a close up view of one at a zoo or something just to see that wingspan.

Geeze Louise! You had to show that to us!

Anyway... That is what I was thinking when I posted earlier... Take the prey high enough and then drop it... Less of a fight! Heck, no fight. Like going to the supermarket for your steak!

Already tenderized!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/12/19/montreal-golden-eagle-viral-video.html

Three students in 3D animation are sure to get a perfect grade after a video depicting an eagle snatching a toddler in a Montreal park went viral and generated discussions around the world.

Normand Archambault, Loïc Mireault and Félix Marquis-Poulin, students at Centre NAD, have come forward to claim responsibility for the overnight sensation.

The video "Golden Eagle Snatches Kid in Montreal" shows a large bird swooping down from the sky above Mont Royal Park and pick up a child with its talons. The bird travels several metres before dropping the toddler and flying away.

The camera then zooms in on the child, who is crying but seems to be uninjured.

The video garnered over five million views in one day.

Archambault said his team came up with the perfect equation to get people to talk about their work.

"We brainstormed some ideas of what is viral online," said Archambault. "Everything that is animal related and baby related are super popular so we tried to bring both together and make something extraordinary that wouldn't happen every day."

The video took the students 400 hours to create.

The school grades the project according to the amount of views each video receives. Videos that exceed 100,000 views get a perfect score.