If Nix is able to resign Byrd and Levitre???

Dragonborn10

Is that enough to let him have one more draft?

I hope to hell he fires the enitre coaching staff. I am ok with Nix/Whaley having one more off-season and one more draft and then NIx handing over the reigns to Whaley before training camp.

The team simply can not go into the draft having to arguably replace all three LB's, draft a QB at some point, and then have to replace an All-Pro safety and Guard.

Yes maybe A. Williams can move to safety but would much rather let Wilson walk, start Searcy and let Williams be the third safety.

The key to 2103 is resigning Byrd and Levitre before FA or signing one and taggint the other.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's going to retire and fade away likely will be here till May as that's when contracts of GM's and front office run out. If he gets fired, that could happen year end

I'd assume he has a longer contract than Chans, meaning that Chans runs one more year so nix likely has minimum a year and a few months.... Unless he's forced early.

Edited by NoSaint

Pretty sure it's 100% his. The money must be spent, so he gets to choose how. Whether they take what he sees as fair is the real issue

Levitre is the top guard and Byrd is the top safety in free agency. That will be a lot of coin for two players, and there's no way that Nix has full control of the change purse. Chances are both are signed, but it will also mean purging the roster of Kelsay, Barnett, McGee & Smith. Not big losses, but at this point, this is Overdorf's show.

I think Byrd might be one of those Nate Clements type situations where he will command a far higher price than is reasonable for us to pay.

Levitre will be retained without being tagged I think.

As far as coaching goes, as long as Nix is here, so is Chan. He's said it publicly, there will be no change. He wasn't kidding when he said it so I'm not sure why so many posters here think Chan will be gone. Buddy is an old school man of his word, he's shown that since he's been here.

Frankly I'm not sure the worlds best NFL head coach of all time (whoever that may be) could break .500 with Fitz at the helm. (oops, didn't mean to start that convo. where's the ignore button....?)

Is that enough to let him have one more draft?

I hope to hell he fires the enitre coaching staff. I am ok with Nix/Whaley having one more off-season and one more draft and then NIx handing over the reigns to Whaley before training camp.

The team simply can not go into the draft having to arguably replace all three LB's, draft a QB at some point, and then have to replace an All-Pro safety and Guard.

Yes maybe A. Williams can move to safety but would much rather let Wilson walk, start Searcy and let Williams be the third safety.

The key to 2103 is resigning Byrd and Levitre before FA or signing one and taggint the other.

How does signing these 2 relate to Nix picking another draft?

My answer is "no"--no more drafts for Buddy. If Whaley is going to be the guy--start him in 2013. Why exposed another draft to Nix?

Levitre is the top guard and Byrd is the top safety in free agency. That will be a lot of coin for two players, and there's no way that Nix has full control of the change purse. Chances are both are signed, but it will also mean purging the roster of Kelsay, Barnett, McGee & Smith. Not big losses, but at this point, this is Overdorf's show.

I think Byrd might be one of those Nate Clements type situations where he will command a far higher price than is reasonable for us to pay.

IIRC, the tag price for Byrd would be in the $6.5mil range. Consider Byrd a Bill next year, no matter what. Obviously a long term deal would need to be worked out, but even the top Safeties make only "Kelsay-money". No $100mil contract in site for him.

The key to signing players drafted in the 2nd or later rounds who have 4 year deals and should be re-signed is getting them locked up before their final season. Why are the Bills only now talking to Byrd and apparently not even opening talks up with Levitre? Both players were out-performing their deals last season.

Maybe Overdorf is being paid by the hour, necessitating the negotiation of only 1 contract at a time. Who knows with these clowns at OBD.

The dollars must be spent. Teams may no longer be cheap. There's no avoiding that.

The key to signing players drafted in the 2nd or later rounds who have 4 year deals and should be re-signed is getting them locked up before their final season. Why are the Bills only now talking to Byrd and apparently not even opening talks up with Levitre? Both players were out-performing their deals last season.

Maybe Overdorf is being paid by the hour, necessitating the negotiation of only 1 contract at a time. Who knows with these clowns at OBD.

Has nix signed anyone that early? Fitz was mid-final season. Anyone before that? Kyle was his last year, no?

talks started with Levitre prior to the season: http://wgr550.com/pages/13418873.php?contentType=4&contentId=10825611

Curious what hes asking for, last years top G free agents got 5 years $47.5M (nicks) and 5 years $36M (Grubbs).

As far as coaching goes, as long as Nix is here, so is Chan. He's said it publicly, there will be no change. He wasn't kidding when he said it so I'm not sure why so many posters here think Chan will be gone. Buddy is an old school man of his word, he's shown that since he's been here.

Frankly I'm not sure the worlds best NFL head coach of all time (whoever that may be) could break .500 with Fitz at the helm. (oops, didn't mean to start that convo. where's the ignore button....?)

He has promised nothing on fitz or chan. His most ringing endorsement for either has been that he won't make a change just for the sake of making a change - sometimes it comes out a little above, sometimes a little below but pretty roundly centered around that.

talks started with Levitre prior to the season: http://wgr550.com/pages/13418873.php?contentType=4&contentId=10825611

Curious what hes asking for, last years top G free agents got 5 years $47.5M (nicks) and 5 years $36M (Grubbs).

He's no Evans, nicks, or mankins.... I've been saying Grubbs as the ballpark starting point (closest comparable)

Yes, the dollars must be spent, but Nix is not in charge of the dollars. Are you new to the site?

My point is, overdorf can't save money here. The cap must be spent. Overdorf can save money many other places but not dollars in and out on salary, ultimately. It seems widely logical at that point nix would be free to allocate how he chooses between players within that budget. This concept is new to the nfl, and therefore new to our front office. Before, overdorf may have had a seperate internal cap. That's no longer possible. Really simple unless you think someone else is actually in charge of talent.

Edited by NoSaint

talks started with Levitre prior to the season: http://wgr550.com/pa...tentId=10825611

Wow, 6 months ago. I trust that there was some dialogue, but it apparently went nowhere. Byrd, meanwhile is represented by Eugene Parker, Jason Peters' agent who forced a trade and subsequent extension with the Eagles.

It's a huge if, but if the Bills lose one of the two, I wonder what the opinion of Nix becomes. Aside from the much maligned Posluszny, Nix hasn't really lost anyone that Bills fans really liked and that includes Whitner.

I have no doubt whatsoever that both Levitre and Byrd will be resigned. One thing about Nix: he's straightforward. He said the key to success in the NFL is to draft well and keep your good ones. He hasn't drafted well. But he will keep Levitre and Byrd.

I will lick my elbow if he let's either walk.

My point is, overdorf can't save money here. The cap must be spent. Overdorf can save money many other places but not dollars in and out on salary, ultimately. It seems widely logical at that point nix would be free to allocate how he chooses between players within that budget. This concept is new to the nfl, and therefore new to our front office. Before, overdorf may have had a seperate internal cap. That's no longer possible. Really simple unless you think someone else is actually in charge of talent.

This new NFL cap concept is basically what Bills have been running for years - cash to cap - so there's not that much change in the way Bills have allocated payments to players over the last 5 years. And that decision is still up to Littman & Overdorf.