Elementary school shootings in CT: Principal, multiple students killed

From what I have read, this incident, like several others, has a link to a person using psychiatric drugs. Congress has refused to have a study done to look for a link in these drugs and acts of violence. I smell special interest money.........

I have read elsewhere to... The nanny with the knife (shutter) in NYC comes to mind. BUT these children were locked away from trouble... & trouble STILL found them: Why?

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read elsewhere to... The nanny with the knife (shutter) in NYC comes to mind. BUT these children were locked away from trouble... & trouble STILL found them: Why?

All I can say is we live in a screwed up world. Look at those Westboro scumbags who made the trip out there to further traumatize those poor people. Their so-called church is getting theirs, though.

The big problem I have w/Azalin's argument is that it forgets one critical element. The guy was suicidal. No way he takes out so many children and kills himself w/out a suicide bomb vest.... BUT, the sicko has to get into the building first. I simply don't see it happening unless he is high on something like drugs or religion!

wasn't it reported that he was wearing a vest or some type of body armor? how suicidal is a person that would take steps for self-preservation?

Or was it short term preservation in order to kill more people?

yea - i would take that as a control factor (ie die on his terms). and probably a tiny bit of wanting to be a cool soldier walking around for a few minutes. i think from the get go he had to be planning to die though.

I agree- I have seen a lot of mental problems. What if some of those drugs are causing adverse violent reactions? We don't know that they are, but we know nothing until some kind of study is done.

i also agree - it was just a lazy/half hearted way of keeping the conversation on point that this guy, and several others may have done as bad, or possibly worse without medicine too. part of whats hard with treating people like this is separating out the crazy from the side-effect-crazy. its certainly worth knowing more about, but on a case by case basis (such as this one individual)... sometimes its hard to say whats related to what. not to discount your point at all there, it should still be looked at.

Edited by NoSaint

you very well may be right. the obvious difficulty in trying to make sense of any of this is in trying to find logic or reason in such a hideously warped mind.

you very well may be right. the obvious difficulty in trying to make sense of any of this is in trying to find logic or reason in such a hideously warped mind.

Exactly. I see nothing but pseudo psychology from everyone in the press. Sometimes, people are just bad and they do bad things.

Watching CNN yesterday, at one point they showed pictures of some of the victims. I couldn't bear to look.

Watching CNN yesterday, at one point they showed pictures of some of the victims. I couldn't bear to look.

it's one thing to hear that 20 children were slain, but it really drives the point home when you see a photograph of each one. putting a name and a face to the victim adds back an essential element of humanity that is too often missed, imo.

Exactly. I see nothing but pseudo psychology from everyone in the press. Sometimes, people are just bad and they do bad things.

I'm a parent of three. If this were to happen to my child, God forbid, I wouldn't want my kid's face on TV.

wasn't it reported that he was wearing a vest or some type of body armor? how suicidal is a person that would take steps for self-preservation?

Totally wrong... He wanted to die by his own hand. Why are we failing to miss that point?O bviously, he had a very sick "mission" to carry out first.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Totally wrong... He wanted to die by his own hand. Why are we failing to miss that point?O bviously, he had a very sick "mission" to carry out first.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess at what was going through that lunatic's head

Exactly. Wow... Did we just agree... ;-) ;-)

I wouldn't even hazard a guess at what was going through that lunatic's head

I will get it out of the way so everybody on the board can carry on... Takes a lunatic (me) to know a lunatic. ;-) :-P

But in all serious... This is pretty obvious and you don't have to be lunatic to figure out what he intended. Not a guess @ all.

yea - i would take that as a control factor (ie die on his terms). and probably a tiny bit of wanting to be a cool soldier walking around for a few minutes. i think from the get go he had to be planning to die though.

i also agree - it was just a lazy/half hearted way of keeping the conversation on point that this guy, and several others may have done as bad, or possibly worse without medicine too. part of whats hard with treating people like this is separating out the crazy from the side-effect-crazy. its certainly worth knowing more about, but on a case by case basis (such as this one individual)... sometimes its hard to say whats related to what. not to discount your point at all there, it should still be looked at.

Then mix in stories coming in about his mother and her state of mind. Does this story have Ed Gein written all over it?

And that is the point Azalin. We have rational minds trying to find a rational cause. It is never going to happen... All we can do is our best to find some kind of closure.

I'm a parent of three. If this were to happen to my child, God forbid, I wouldn't want my kid's face on TV.

And there were a few that did not release a picture... Just a pic of a candle... If I recall, about 3 or 4?

Do you EVER respond in a way even remotely relevant to what you are responding to? You have nothing but goofball posts.

Not goofball at all. The CT perps mother was killed by her own guns. Now Texas wants to follow suit. How long before a teacher dies at the hands of their own guns too?

Same old story, maybe mama in CT should have done a better job locking her weapons up? I sure Texas has a plan to make sure teachers don't act equally as lax.

Sorry Jim if this is lost on you. I don't speak retard, so I can't translate it for you.

Really these parents of the twenty kids will never have their children open up their presents on Christmas not just this year but forever! As this idiot shooter had to take it out on innocent kids. They did nothing at all. But they were just kids and innocent. :(

Not goofball at all. The CT perps mother was killed by her own guns. Now Texas wants to follow suit. How long before a teacher dies at the hands of their own guns too?

Same old story, maybe mama in CT should have done a better job locking her weapons up? I sure Texas has a plan to make sure teachers don't act equally as lax.

Sorry Jim if this is lost on you. I don't speak retard, so I can't translate it for you.

From this post, it seems like you're still under the impression that the shooter's mother was a teacher. She was not. Who's the one 'speaking retard'?! This is the pot calling the Dove soap black.

But to the other point, the thing about this town in Texas is that the nearest police presence is 20 minutes away from the school. In a scenario like Newtown/Columbine, everyone in the school could be dead by the time police car's rubber even enters the parking lot.

Shootings where the intent is to kill as many as possible and then the killer shoots himself/is shot by police are done within and dependant on the margins of police response time. Now, they've learned some things --- in Columbine, police waited outside in an expectation of negotiation and as it turned out, the shooters used that time to keep killing. Since then, as in Newtown, police go in right away. But we're still left with the age-old problem that transportation of resources takes valuable time. We have not yet invented the teleportation device from Star Trek.

I know all you liberals would like to think that dialing 911 and police are you need. People who live in the real world, tho, realize the truth to the adage that "when EVERY SECOND counts, police are just MINUTES away." And so, in many instances of violent crime, personal security is self-help. Police show up after the factto collect evidence to see if they can catch the perp and file reports for the insurance companies to use.

And so, in this Texas school, since police physically cannot show up until it's all over, someone with an ounce of sense decided to try something that could handle a situation in a much more timely manner. These teachers receive extensive training and their weapons are secured. would be able to do more than shield and cower and wait. Perfect solution? Dunno. But it's a better option than simply shielding students with your body (an act that is THE most truly heroic, as reports of what Vicki Soto did, don't get me wrong) or cowering and waiting. And response times, even in developed parts of the country, can be on par to this 20 minutes and give those intent on destruction a lot of free, unopposed operating time.