Eagles dock Pattersons pay due to pneumonia

NoSaint

The league doesn't care about players. Players to the league are just a product. If they can't or don't produce they search until they find a new product. Disgusting

It's not "the league". It's "the Eagles".

"The League" is taking grief for busting up a bounty system where players take extra pleasure, and cash, by delivering injuries to opposing players.

There has to be more to it than this. I'm pretty sure that docking pay for illness would be disallowed under the players' CBA. If not, than the players have no one to complain to than their Union rep. Even so, it's stupid for a team to do that. I just cannot believe a team would do that. Has to be more to it than that. But then again, it is the Eagles.

Edited by RyanC883

There has to be more to it than this. I'm pretty sure that docking pay for illness would be disallowed under the players' CBA. If not, than the players have no one to complain to than their Union rep. Even so, it's stupid for a team to do that. I just cannot believe a team would do that. Has to be more to it than that. But then again, it is the Eagles.

Its totally legal. They docked Peters pay IIRC correctly when he tore his achilles before they "stole" Bell from us

Its totally legal. They docked Peters pay IIRC correctly when he tore his achilles before they "stole" Bell from us

With anything non-football you can. Peters was not a football injury. I bet illness could get messy if he got sick playing for instance. Couldn't that be a football injury, essentially (playing and/or practicing in the elements)

With anything non-football you can. Peters was not a football injury. I bet illness could get messy if he got sick playing for instance. Couldn't that be a football injury, essentially (playing and/or practicing in the elements)

I agree, it is almost impossible to prove that Patterson didn't get ill in some part from the elements of the job, and the stress on the body of being an athlete. What the Eagles did is almost on par with factories in the 1800's and early 1900's firing people for being sick from the toxic fumes and substances or losing fingers and limbs in machinery. The Eagles showed to be a classless organization (just like their fans) and I hope karma bitchslaps them like the redhead stepchild of the NFC Least that they are.

Agent weighs in - sounds like it'll be ugly for the eagles

“I told Howie this morning that if he could prove to be that Mike didn’t get pneumonia at practice I wouldn’t file a grievance,” Schaffer said. “He said he couldn’t. . . . I love Howie, but this is wrong and petty. To do this to one of your leaders and to a guy that fought back from brain surgery is just wrong.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/12/patterson-will-file-grievance-against-eagles/

Edited by NoSaint

It's not "the league". It's "the Eagles".

"The League" is taking grief for busting up a bounty system where players take extra pleasure, and cash, by delivering injuries to opposing players.

Please. The league is taking grief because Goodell went on an egotistical witch hunt on ONE team and ignored the fact that there were numerous teams doing the exact same thing. If the NFL cared about player safety, they'd have gone after everyone. I bet your bf Billy Belicheat has, or had, a bounty program just like it. I mean, the guy loves taping practices.

I agree, it is almost impossible to prove that Patterson didn't get ill in some part from the elements of the job, and the stress on the body of being an athlete. What the Eagles did is almost on par with factories in the 1800's and early 1900's firing people for being sick from the toxic fumes and substances or losing fingers and limbs in machinery. The Eagles showed to be a classless organization (just like their fans) and I hope karma bitchslaps them like the redhead stepchild of the NFC Least that they are.

Jeez, in another post, someone equated playing football with soldiers going off to war. Now they are "on par" with maimed workers during the industrial revolution.

Some messed up posters 'round here.

Please. The league is taking grief because Goodell went on an egotistical witch hunt on ONE team and ignored the fact that there were numerous teams doing the exact same thing. If the NFL cared about player safety, they'd have gone after everyone. I bet your bf Billy Belicheat has, or had, a bounty program just like it. I mean, the guy loves taping practices.

Before NE was busted by a disgruntled former employer, the league had mailed out a memo to ALL teams reminding them not to illegally tape opposing defensive signals. They ignored the memo (obviously all teams were aware it was going on at that point anyway) and continued to tape. They (alone) were busted.

The League was aware of the Saints bounty system 2 years ago and told them to end it. They ignored the warning and continued the program and were busted (aided by a disgruntled former employee and by a journalist recording a locker room pep talk by Williams).

Anyway.....can you name the other teams that were running a cash bounty system for "cart offs" and "Knockouts"?

they in fact wrote in tags final ruling that the pats were punished for running a similar program. 25k fine was all that came of it

Jeez, in another post, someone equated playing football with soldiers going off to war. Now they are "on par" with maimed workers during the industrial revolution.

Some messed up posters 'round here.

Before NE was busted by a disgruntled former employer, the league had mailed out a memo to ALL teams reminding them not to illegally tape opposing defensive signals. They ignored the memo (obviously all teams were aware it was going on at that point anyway) and continued to tape. They (alone) were busted.

The League was aware of the Saints bounty system 2 years ago and told them to end it. They ignored the warning and continued the program and were busted (aided by a disgruntled former employee and by a journalist recording a locker room pep talk by Williams).

Anyway.....can you name the other teams that were running a cash bounty system for "cart offs" and "Knockouts"?

they were primarily punished for an event that occurred BEFORE they were told to knock it off. And yes, several players around the league have said "big deal, weve done this everywhere ive played."

pats were fined for similar, green bay, baltimore let it slip in player interviews that they have similar, gregg and vitt both say they have used similar in their coaching history, its been let out we were doing similar when gregg was here. darren sharper said he did the same in green bay and minnesota. reggie whites smash for cash. its not unique.

they were punished primarily because they lied about it.

which is not a real thing in the nfl. as tags said in his ruling, especially while discussing hargrove - no one has ever been punished like this in the nfl for lying. nearly every case he heard has lying in it. its just not how the system has ever worked prior to an angry goodell going postal on them.

they in fact wrote in tags final ruling that the pats were punished for running a similar program. 25k fine was all that came of it

they were primarily punished for an event that occurred BEFORE they were told to knock it off. And yes, several players around the league have said "big deal, weve done this everywhere ive played."

pats were fined for similar, green bay, baltimore let it slip in player interviews that they have similar, gregg and vitt both say they have used similar in their coaching history, its been let out we were doing similar when gregg was here. darren sharper said he did the same in green bay and minnesota. reggie whites smash for cash. its not unique.

We're not talking about paying guys for sacks and ints...

which is not a real thing in the nfl. as tags said in his ruling, especially while discussing hargrove - no one has ever been punished like this in the nfl for lying. nearly every case he heard has lying in it. its just not how the system has ever worked prior to an angry goodell going postal on them.

So if there is an investigation into conduct unbecoming or some other illegal issue, if a player lies to the league there should or can be no penalty? How is it different from perjuring oneself under oath?

Edited by Mr. WEO

We're not talking about paying guys for sacks and ints...

So if there is an investigation into conduct unbecoming or some other illegal issue, if a player lies to the league there should or can be no penalty?

Most of those guys acknowledged the big hit pools explicitly. mike golic and schlereth had a big talk yesterday morning about how it was commonplace. and what did you think smash for cash was getting at?

That has been the process for 40 years, with plenty of precedent for not laying the hammer for lying. just saying. if you want to change that, cool, but you should probably have some sort of transition between "no penalty" and "stiffest penalty in the history of the game." you know, atleast a memo.

Edited by NoSaint

Most of those guys acknowledged the big hit pools explicitly. mike golic and schlereth had a big talk yesterday morning about how it was commonplace. and what did you think smash for cash was getting at?

That has been the process for 40 years, with plenty of precedent for not laying the hammer for lying. just saying. if you want to change that, cool, but you should probably have some sort of transition between "no penalty" and "stiffest penalty in the history of the game." you know, atleast a memo.

Not when there's lawsuits involved.