Chan NOT the man for the job going forward.

Still no answer or even suggestion as to who moves into our HC spot...

Not trying to be a dick, but we cant just say "FIRE HIM!" without a real replacement in mind. Im not defending Gailey in any way. Just dont want to see us taking 2 steps backwards just to make a change.

Yes we can say Fire Him. Like Haze said do the intern thing until the offseason. Let Wanny run it. He has experience with a head set on.

Do what you gotta do to change right now. Players have to be questioning more now than ever.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no answer or even suggestion as to who moves into our HC spot...

Not trying to be a dick, but we cant just say "FIRE HIM!" without a real replacement in mind. Im not defending Gailey in any way. Just dont want to see us taking 2 steps backwards just to make a change.

Buffalo Rising@BuffaloRising

OH: I'd rather have the Ikea monkey as head coach than Chan Gailey.

At this point doctor D, I say put anyone there. Hell I say put Modkins there and move Lee to OC. Let Wanny stay as asst HC and DC. I don't care what they do but at least show the players that there is hope. Chan has lost this team, Stevie looks disinterested, CJ can't be happy and Lindell doesn't seem happy either.... And these are just the ones we can speculate on. I can't imagine the locker room is still behind this guy. Anyone with a set of eyes can see this team would be better off with another HC

Yes we can say Fire Him. Like Haze said do the intern thing until the offseason. Let Wanny run it. He has experience with a head set on.

Do what you gotta do to change right now. Players have to be questioning more now than ever.

I believe you are both mistaken that just "any" type of change will be looked at as positive. With the players already jumping ship, and the fact that some of our players and leaders have already been through that type of change (some more than once), you are back to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Plugging in an interim isnt a real answer to my question. And plugging in an interim sends only the message that "we've given up on this season, so should you".

The issue with finding a replacement Head Coach isnt that Buddy isnt good at it. The issue is that no coach worth a damn wants to come to this franchise given it's ownership instability. Whether Whaley is involved, or how much, isnt going to change the guy signing the checks, and the way the team is looked at by coaching candidates. There is no plan for the team once the ailing 94 year old owner passes. No top candidate is going to sign onto that kind of organization.

Im as frustrated with Chan as all of you and would like him replaced, but I need to find a viable candidate (one that is a good prospect, AND willing to come to the Bills) before I get on the "Fire Him!" bandwagon.

It's much easier when talking about QB replacements, because we can draft one and they have no choice. Coaches dont work like that.

I’m surprised none of you have brought up the fact that Chan should have gone for 2 after our TD to try and make it 14-7. That one baffled me. I really thought that Chan would have learned from losing by 1 to the Titans after electing to not go for 2. Ticked me off even more that we then don’t even get the 1. For a coach who calls an aggressive game plan with all the passing, he sure wusses out when it comes to putting points on the board.

I totally agree w you on that one. Going for 2 was the thing to do there. Changes the whole complexion of the 4th qtr. The Bills knew if they gave up a TD late, they were done. I think their DB's play tight knowing there is no margin for error. If they are up by 7, instead of 5 or 6, they know a TD does not beat you. And I think they play a little looser, and take more chances to make plays. Because Gilmore and Brooks looked absolutely out of their league trying to cover the Rams receivers on the last drive. Amazing that we are left with two rookies as our starting DB's in week 14 with a journeyman, who many did not even want on the team anymore as our nickelback (Mckelvin) and a scrub 7th round pick as our dime back. (Rogers) Yea, Buddy has really upgraded the roster. Certainly not in the defensive backfield. But getting back to your original point, we should have definitely gone for 2 after the TD pass. But Gailey ALWAYS makes the wrong move!!

There is one play alone that shows that Chan should no longer be our coach...that is not even trying a 52 yard FG at home with a good kicker who is more than capable of making that kick.

Then you throw in the fact that we 5-0 in games where we feature the run and 0-8 in games where we feature the pass with an inept QB capable of handling that...and its a done deal.

Then you throw in his tendency to throw deep on 3rd and 1 and throw short on 3rd and long...and its a further done deal.

Then you throw in his game management, or lack there of, at crucial parts of the game...and its a certainty.

Then you throw in his lack of adjustments and letting the opponents (and admitting this much in post game interviews) dictate how he plays...and its over folks.

Then you throw in his refusal to utilize his best weapons..RB's, especially Spiller...and its even further sealed.

Then you throw in players not being active for games that could help us win (Easley, TJ, Morrisson) week in and week out...and its all but over.

Then you throw in his cowardly decisions like not kicking FG's to win games that are within our range and instead punts...and he is a goner.

Then you throw in a stubborn GM and Incoherent Owner and his job is safe and he will be back next year too...and this is why we lose and will continue to lose.

As for bringing in a new head coach, here is a name that is worth considering. Jim Tressel. And I hate Ohio State being a Michigan man. But the man can flat out coach..He will bring a basic no frills game plan of running the ball, playing good defense, and don't beat yourself football. He would get the absolute most out of every man on the roster.

I believe you are both mistaken that just "any" type of change will be looked at as positive. With the players already jumping ship, and the fact that some of our players and leaders have already been through that type of change (some more than once), you are back to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Plugging in an interim isnt a real answer to my question. And plugging in an interim sends only the message that "we've given up on this season, so should you".

The issue with finding a replacement Head Coach isnt that Buddy isnt good at it. The issue is that no coach worth a damn wants to come to this franchise given it's ownership instability. Whether Whaley is involved, or how much, isnt going to change the guy signing the checks, and the way the team is looked at by coaching candidates. There is no plan for the team once the ailing 94 year old owner passes. No top candidate is going to sign onto that kind of organization.

Im as frustrated with Chan as all of you and would like him replaced, but I need to find a viable candidate (one that is a good prospect, AND willing to come to the Bills) before I get on the "Fire Him!" bandwagon.

It's much easier when talking about QB replacements, because we can draft one and they have no choice. Coaches dont work like that.

As you say players are already jumping ship. As Captain of the ship (GM) you have to not let your players jump ship. So you have to do something to bring them back and give them hope. Who cares the seasons over, 8-8 is not going to get you there.

Do something to wake the team up. Let them know bad coaching that loses games for you will not be accepted. Because after the coach takes the fall the players will be next. And thats motivation.

As you say players are already jumping ship. As Captain of the ship (GM) you have to not let your players jump ship. So you have to do something to bring them back and give them hope. Who cares the seasons over, 8-8 is not going to get you there.

Do something to wake the team up. Let them know bad coaching that loses games for you will not be accepted. Because after the coach takes the fall the players will be next. And thats motivation.

Fair enough argument, cant disagree with it. But I still fear who the "upgrade" will be. We've been trying to upgrade the head coach spot since 2001 and it has less to do with GMs making bad decisions and more to do with the fact that good coaches know to go elsewhere.

The tone of each franchise is set from the top down, and right now (and for most of the history of the franchise) our tone is "Hey, I own a football team, isnt that neat? What flavor pudding do I get today?"

Fair enough argument, cant disagree with it. But I still fear who the "upgrade" will be. We've been trying to upgrade the head coach spot since 2001 and it has less to do with GMs making bad decisions and more to do with the fact that good coaches know to go elsewhere.

The tone of each franchise is set from the top down, and right now (and for most of the history of the franchise) our tone is "Hey, I own a football team, isnt that neat? What flavor pudding do I get today?"

That's true, but by the same token I don't think replacing Gailey will result in a meaningful negative impact. Maybe you end up with Rich Kotite, but I'd rather cycle through a string of subpar coaches instead of keeping on one we know won't get the job done. Who knows, maybe you get lucky with an actual competent young coach ready to grab an opportunity. So I think at this point the issue is not a question of who you get to replace Gailey, but whether he has done anything to justify staying, and IMO he has shown that it's time for him to go.

That's true, but by the same token I don't think replacing Gailey will result in a meaningful negative impact. Maybe you end up with Rich Kotite, but I'd rather cycle through a string of subpar coaches instead of keeping on one we know won't get the job done. Who knows, maybe you get lucky with an actual competent young coach ready to grab an opportunity. So I think at this point the issue is not a question of who you get to replace Gailey, but whether he has done anything to justify staying, and IMO he has shown that it's time for him to go.

Yeeeeeeeahh but, when we are poised to bring in a rookie QB, that is one way to quickly "break" them. We've already spent most of the 2000s proving that.

Im not against replacing the head coach, I just would like to have a good candidate to stand behind before I can back creating another hole to dig out of.

Brain Billick was interested in the job. Did not get an interview.

We had Perry Fewel as intern. Did get an interview but to me it was a token one.

There are good coaches out there. Do there want to come to Buffalo? I bet there are a few that would want to take a team with plenty of talent all ready here.

We know that Chan isnt the one. He hurting the team more than helping. So we have to make a change.

Yeeeeeeeahh but, when we are poised to bring in a rookie QB, that is one way to quickly "break" them. We've already spent most of the 2000s proving that.

Im not against replacing the head coach, I just would like to have a good candidate to stand behind before I can back creating another hole to dig out of.

I would agree with you if we were talking about Chan as of the end of last year. But what I've seen out of him this year has convinced me that he is not the guy to take the team forward, and he is losing his players. To me, that's a more dangerous situation to throw a young QB into than rolling the dice on a new coach. The bottom line is I do not trust him to put players in position to succeed.

The Bills tried this in the early 2000s. First with Gregg Williams who was a hot up and coming assistant. Then they went Mike Mularkey. Neither of these worked out. It's not the age of the coach, it's just which young, innovative assistant and which recycled, old codger we're talking about here.

Here's my point: The proven coaches (Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden, etc.) don't want to come here. We all know why... A handful of the hottest college coaches and top assistants don't either. But there are a few up and coming assistants, college coaches (possibly) who would take the chance. This is the best way for a small market team like Buffalo with some obvious issues to catch lightning in a bottle. Just because it didn't work for Donahoe doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried again. Donahoe also interviewed top assistants like John Fox and Marvin Lewis and passed them over. Many former assistants have gone on to win Super Bowls as HCs. Former assistants like Mike Smith and Jason Garrett among others are doing just fine as HCs...

To me, its the most realistic way for a franchise like this to find the right guy. If a top option, like a Bill Cowher or whoever had a change of heart and wanted to come here, great! But that's not being realistic now is it?

It doesn't matter anyway right now. Because I believe Gailey gets at least one more year.

Agreed that Chan makes some of the dumbest game day decisions I've ever seen since I been watching football. Even dumber than Dick Jauron and that's saying a lot, but if Chan had a QB that made any type of play for his team his decision making would be a moot point! So before we run Chan out of town make sure Fitzpatrick is on the earlier train!

I wouldn't be so disgusted with his job this season if he did 2 things. Run CJ and let Lindell try FGs....Then accept the results..Then if needed have his press conference and simply tell the media " well we tried to go up two scores with the long FG attempt". "I have a QB that cannot make plays in crutch time so we have to try to score whenever we have a chance because asking Fitz to drive the team 40 yds or so is simply asking to much if we need him to"...I'm fine with that...

Hazed, Bufcomments, MRW....

Ok, after having another night to think about it I'm starting to move into your corner. I like Chan, and I think he has been better than Jauron in general, BUT what we saw last game (and too many times this season) is a regression to Jauron-ball.

The non-FG attempt, the punting in your opponents territory, the weekly guessing game on whether he is going to remember to use Spiller...

If we had an owner who gave a damn, they would have fired Chan shortly after the game Sunday. Watching your coach lay down and roll over is unacceptable. Jauron's defining moment came in the game against the Saints, when we still had it close, and he gave it away by punting. This last game may have been the same kind of moment for Gailey.

I agree that, given the recent events, it's very likely Gailey has completely lost this team. If I were Buddy I'd have a serious sit down with Chan and tell him that the culture of this team should be "Attack, attack, attack, and if you're down, go down swinging".

The guys in the FO, the players, and most importantly the FANS, all deserve better than the coaching efforts we've seen so far.

Ok, after having another night to think about it I'm starting to move into your corner. I like Chan, and I think he has been better than Jauron in general, BUT what we saw last game (and too many times this season) is a regression to Jauron-ball.

The non-FG attempt, the punting in your opponents territory, the weekly guessing game on whether he is going to remember to use Spiller...

If we had an owner who gave a damn, they would have fired Chan shortly after the game Sunday. Watching your coach lay down and roll over is unacceptable. Jauron's defining moment came in the game against the Saints, when we still had it close, and he gave it away by punting. This last game may have been the same kind of moment for Gailey.

I agree that, given the recent events, it's very likely Gailey has completely lost this team. If I were Buddy I'd have a serious sit down with Chan and tell him that the culture of this team should be "Attack, attack, attack, and if you're down, go down swinging".

The guys in the FO, the players, and most importantly the FANS, all deserve better than the coaching efforts we've seen so far.

Welcome to the dark side, Doc, we've saved a seat for you. I like what you say about attacking....what have you got to lose? What drives me crazy, amongst many things Chan does, is that he NEVER shows emotion on the sideline. He never gets on a ref about a call. He just stands there and stares at his gameplan sheet which, I might add, is about 8 times smaller than every other one I have seen in the NFL.

If your head coach doesn't give a schitt enough to care, the players will carry the same attitude.

Chan should have been fired after the AZ game. Even though they won!