Life of Pi

Metal Man

I am curious for what anyone who has seen this movie thought of it.

I think it was mentioned a couple of times in Vadar's November film thread but I didn't want to hijack it with discussion on this particular movie especially seeing there seems to be a lot that could be talked about.

I didn't read the book so I can't compare it to that. However a couple of weeks ago my gf really wanted to go see it for whatever reason so I went along not really knowing what to expect.

I came out of the theater really impressed by it and enjoyed the ride quite a bit, even the 3D which is saying a lot because I usually am pretty against this 3D movement in films today.

Another mark of a good movie for me is how long after I think about it and this one has really stuck in my head and I find myself contemplating meaning even a couple weeks later.

There are tons of metaphors in it, and I'm sure many different ways to interpret them, so I'd like to hear what other people got out of the movie and maybe be able to generate some discussion on what some of the content may have meant to them.

Definitely recommend it to anyone who likes thought provoking films.

Havent seen the movie yet, but it has been a favorite book of mine and I'm looking forward to the film. Glad to hear you liked it. Read the book, it's very good. If you think the movie sticks with you, the book might just change your life.

I definitely plan on reading the book.

I always found movies to be a poorly organized cliff notes version of the book most of the time, especially for something like this, so I look forward to the additional detail.

Ok, for you guys who read the book I have a question....

I'll spoiler it just in case:

What do you believe the significance of the island was?

I realize it is all open to interpretation but I'm curious to hear some well thought out ideas.

Just got back. Also saw it with no idea what it was about I just have a theater nearby that has a really big screen and does 3d movies awesome (which I love despite the fact most do not)...and like you I thought this movie was absolutely amazing. Extremely good tale, probably one of the stronger deliveries of "the message" it carries I have ever seen, and absolutely STUNNING visuals. Those scenes where the ocean lights up, and everything is like space above and below...beautiful. And the boat crash was truly terrifying (and that scene where he sees the boat from underwater was breathtaking). Anyway, loved the movie had no idea what to expect and this is by far the best picture I have seen this year. No contest.

Ok, for you guys who read the book I have a question....

I'll spoiler it just in case:

What do you believe the significance of the island was?

I realize it is all open to interpretation but I'm curious to hear some well thought out ideas.

I thought about that also...since everything else matches up pretty well. There's the obvious take on it that he did find some island for a while but took off b/c he had to get back to society and felt he would be devoured by island life living alone if he didn't keep trying to get rescued.

Also there's a little garden of eden type metaphor....but finding that island and the tooth...regardless of how extraordinary the rest of the film was up to that point...took it to the next level and really makes you doubt the truth of the story. One would say as a viewer...that scene provoked my (the viewers) rejection of the miraculous story sort of an expression of struggling to accept faith. Which sort of makes it more powerful I suppose when the end comes and you get the general message of the movie hammered home.

Edited by TheNewBills

I insisted on reading the book first. After a few starts and stops over the lastyear I finally finished the book last week. The first forty or so chapters are slow on action but offer valued background.

J. R.: the early part of the book is uneventful. I had to keep coming back and I am glad that I did.

Read the book first as it helps you understand some of the details. I got the book out of my public library.

As for the film, I saw it in 3D. I don't usually care for CGI as it is usually coupled with a weak story. Life of Pi was different. They stayed with the book which pleased me. The animals were incredible. This movie is a sleeper. People are saying "C'mon a boy on a raft with a tiger?". Give it a chance. It is a great film for adults and kids but I would be careful about showing this one to very young kids. Go see this one and spill the extra cash for 3D.