Falcons

Living in Atlanta i have adopted the Falcons as a second team. And over the past 12 years more times in December i am focusing on Falcons games then Bills games.

I think back to 2007. The Falcons had just hired Bobby Petrino as HC, Rich McKay was GM and Mike Vick was suppose to be the QB.

In August of that year Vick was found guilty of Dog Fighting and suspended indefinetly. The Falcons had to use Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich at QB.

Falcons Start the season 3-10. 24 hours after Vick is sentenced to almost two years Federal Prision and an emberassing lose to N.O on Monday night football, Petrino takes off.

Petrino does not even address his team. The entire franchise is in shambles. Think about it. Things can not get too much worse then that.

Now what they had and have is a strong determined Owner. Who after years of trying too hard and being involved to much decided to hire a good young talent evaluater from a proven franchise as his GM.

Arthur Blank realized owning a football team is the same as owning Home Depot. You must find succesful people to fill positions and then get out of their way and let them succeed.

Thomas Dimitroff then was given full reigns of personel decisions. He brought in Mike Smith a tough defensive cord from the Jags. Dimitroff then went and drafted the best qb available in 2008. He also signed Mike Turner from S.D who was backing up Tomlinson.

In 2008 the Falcons went out and where 11-5 and a wild card. They went from 4-12 in 2007. The Falcons enetered the offseason with no coach, no qb, and the laughing stock of the league. Since the change at GM, HC, and QB the Falcons are 44-22. They have never had a losing season since the new regime was brought in. This is a stark contrast to the franchise of old. In 40+ years the franchise had never had back to back winning seasons. The Falcons only missed the playoffs in 2009 after finishing 9-7.

Now the Falcons are not perfect, they still have to win a playoff game under Smith and Ryan. This could be their year. Ryan has suffered much of the same scrutiny Peyton Manning did until he won it all.

Personally i think until the Bills do what the Falcons did, we are in the same boat year after year. If you want a drastic change from the norm you must make drastic changes.

Like i said, i am and always will be a Bills fan. I grew up going into the locker room with my grandfather who worked for the team in the 70's and 80's. I had the privledge of meeting many of the players, coaches, and Mr Wilson. I wish like so many of you that the Bills could win just one Super Bowl. Like so many of you i would cry with joy and think about my grandfather and father who are no longer here.

Just my two cents and worth less then that.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Good points. It's particularly frustrating watching teams like the Falcons, Colts, etc. turn things around in such quick order, and watching the Bills spin their wheels. Wilson must find a GM who will hold people accountable. If Chanpatrick is back next year that is a signal that Nix is fine with being mediocre

Good points. It's particularly frustrating watching teams like the Falcons, Colts, etc. turn things around in such quick order, and watching the Bills spin their wheels. Wilson must find a GM who will hold people accountable. If Chanpatrick is back next year that is a signal that Nix is fine with being mediocre

Top 3 picks where there is an elite Qb available sure helps unless you consider Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert franchise guys.

A big part in draft success is dumb luck. Indy has had dumb luck twice in 20 years.

Hes just expressing his feelings....i understand where hes coming from!

Thanks guys.

I get tired of watching teams like Atlanta, Indy, New Orleans, Tampa Bay... figure it out.

Top 3 picks where there is an elite Qb available sure helps unless you consider Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert franchise guys.

A big part in draft success is dumb luck. Indy has had dumb luck twice in 20 years.

I don't agree. Nix started here in 2010.

Since then he has passed on Dalton, Ponder, and R. Wilson just to name a few. All of those guys have been playing well, and are better than the players we took instead of them.

So, is Buddy, A) Not seriously looking to draft ANY QB, or B) a bad GM that can't identify a good QB when one is available.

Unfortunately if the answer is A, then that makes him a bad GM too.

I don't agree. Nix started here in 2010.

Since then he has passed on Dalton, Ponder, and R. Wilson just to name a few. All of those guys have been playing well, and are better than the players we took instead of them.

So, is Buddy, A) Not seriously looking to draft ANY QB, or B) a bad GM that can't identify a good QB when one is available.

Unfortunately if the answer is A, then that makes him a bad GM too.

Did you just compare Dalton, Ponder, and R. Wilson to guys like Newton, Luck, and RG3? Yes, you did.

Which also means, in your opinion, Ponder has played to the value of the #3 overall pick (which is what we would have needed to use to get him).

I know "some posters" liked Wilson, but there are examples of posters liking any and every QB. Most are wrong, a couple that make it in the league turn out to be "correct". But it's more luck than brains.

Thomas Dimitroff then was given full reigns of personel decisions. He brought in Mike Smith a tough defensive cord from the Jags. Dimitroff then went and drafted the best qb available in 2008.

I agree with a lot of what you have to say, especially the ownership part. But you make it sound like Dimitroff actively did something to secure the "best available QB", when in reality, he lucked out that Miami acted like Miami and took Jake Long #1 overall instead of Matt Ryan. All Dimitroff did was sit there at #3 and pick the FIRST QB off the board.

Had the 2011 draft played out like that for us, it wouldve meant the Panthers picking Tyron Smith, the Broncos picking Von Miller, and Cam Newton falling into Buddy's lap.

So is it really that Dimitroff is so smart? Or is it that the draft is about 75% luck?

blah, what a bunch of jumbled words

I tried reading it, twice...I might even put it in a word document and hit the enter button a few times to crisp it up....if I get the time or energy, but probably not...its friday

Study hall distractions? Book reports must be a pain.

If a big part of the draft is dumb luck, it sounds like the Bills going back to about 2002 have had a lot of dumb and not much luck.

Thanks guys.

I get tired of watching teams like Atlanta, Indy, New Orleans, Tampa Bay... figure it out.

Good original post, ABF1975, and good point above.

I get dizzy when I think that Atlanta has gone up, down, and up again in the last few years and that they have had Michael Vick, Matt Schaub and Matt Ryan all within the last six years.

...and I am absolutely tired of the 13 years worth of cheers and joy our team has provided to other cities' fans.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Did you just compare Dalton, Ponder, and R. Wilson to guys like Newton, Luck, and RG3? Yes, you did.

Which also means, in your opinion, Ponder has played to the value of the #3 overall pick (which is what we would have needed to use to get him).

I know "some posters" liked Wilson, but there are examples of posters liking any and every QB. Most are wrong, a couple that make it in the league turn out to be "correct". But it's more luck than brains.

Huh?

I didn't compare Luck or RG3 to those guys? We couldn't have drafted them? the guys I listed are guys Buddy passed on, that also turned out to be pretty good.

Ponder has looked great this year - have you seen any Vikings games? Well worth the #3 pick considering he is a QB. Besides, we could do that trading back thing too.

What does this have to do with posters? My comment was about Nix.

Your other point about Ryan Falling into the Falcons lap - thats my point. Ponder, Dalton, and R Wilson fell into Buddys lap in the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds respectively and he passed, each time. A GM like the Falcons guy DIDN'T pass.

You kinda confused me with your response.....

Edited by peterpan

We have Buddy who is an incompetent Gm and they have Dimitroff who is among the best. Until we get a good GM there is no hope. Matt Ryan was a great pick that was not a given. Most people in the ATL wanted Glenn Dorsey as the pick.

This is exaclty correct. Many of the 'talking heads' thought Dorsey was the can't miss guy. Ryan had some concerns, but Dimitroff thought otherwise.

Dimitroff also hired Dave Caldwell from Indy and made him head of his college scouting. I have had the opportunity to meet Dave and talk with him, a very very good guy. He is a Buffalo boy and honestly I wish he would be our next GM for the Bills.

I have had the opportunity to ask Dave about the Buffalo picks right after the draft over the past few years- he has always been spot on.

Dave has experience under Polian in Indy and now Dimitroff in Atlanta. Both places where the GM went in and turned things around. No doubt picking the right HC and QB played a big part!