Cheer Up Bills Fans! There Are Worse Teams in the NFL

Storm Front

Yes, being an Eagles fan is way worse than being a Bills fan. They haven't won anything since 1960.

They've won their division 6 times since the millenium and had only one losing season since then (they also won their conference in 2004.) Contrast that with the Bills who are the exact opposite - they've finished last in their division 6 times (including 4 seasons in a row) and had only one winning season in that period.

So yeah, if we want to go back decades and decades they've been worse, but it's not even close in recent times.

They've won their division 6 times since the millenium and had only one losing season since then (they also won their conference in 2004.) Contrast that with the Bills who are the exact opposite - they've finished last in their division 6 times (including 4 seasons in a row) and had only one winning season in that period.

So yeah, if we want to go back decades and decades they've been worse, but it's not even close in recent times.

The funniest thing is Eagles fans don't appreciate any of it. They've been trashing Reid for years and he's the best coach in their franchise's history. As a kid, I thought the Bills were losers for losing SBs. It all depends on your perspective.

Historically speaking,

Bills: .465

Eagles: .483

Chargers: .503

Browns: .541

Is that percentage of wins/losses in franchise history, or the last 40 years as the OP was using as his gauge? I am interested more in percentage of winning (ie: contending) seasons in franchise history, more than overall franchise W/L record.

The funniest thing is Eagles fans don't appreciate any of it. They've been trashing Reid for years and he's the best coach in their franchise's history. As a kid, I thought the Bills were losers for losing SBs. It all depends on your perspective.

Even if you go back, the Eagles were "contenders" in the late 70's early 80's...as well as a significant part of the 90's. So, they lost two Super Bowls, Buffalo lost 4... I guess some people have a different definition of "heartache" when it comes to sports.

To me, there is more heartache involved in sucking, year after year, with no glimmer of hope of really being a team in contention, than winning a bunch of games, and coming up short in the playoffs every year. As painful as that is, I would take that over the Browns fans suffering any day....there are what? 124 major league pro sports teams ? Every year, only 4 of them will be able to say they are champs. and only about 20 can say that they had a real chance to win it all.

I think the problem is as bad as some Bills fans want to say the Bills are, they just aren't. That's the problem. They never quick hit rock bottom. Are the Colts a great drafting team or did they get lucky and get the #1 overall pick and pick 2 of the best QB prospects of the last 20 years?

I either want a 5 game winning streak or a 5 game losing one. Perhaps at 9-7, the ycan sneak into the playoffs in a garbage AFC. But if we don't, lose them all. We need to hit rock bottom.

Agreed on the premise. We have not been terrible, and have not been close to the #1 pick for a while (and if we got there it would probably not be a Luck year with our luck). But I will not root against this team even in week 17. The problem here isn't who we could have drafted two spots higher any given year, but it is the culture of so-so football. Right now I want a 9-7 season, but if we end up with an 8-8 season I prefer that to a 7-9, etc.

There is no franchise savior clear top pick this year, and even if there were 4-12 isn't going to get him for us. While we need a better QB and better play calling, and either a better DC or better execution of his schemes (remember it is year 1 of the switch back to the 4-3), the biggest thing we need is better football results from the 53 guys out there that creates a culture of winning. And 9-7 does more for that than 6-10 does. We should have beaten the Titans and the Colts, and should be 6-5 right now, but a strong finish to the year and keeping the coaching staff is a better path to the playoffs than blowing things up, hiring new people, hoping for a high draft pick, etc.

there are what? 124 major league pro sports teams ? Every year, only 4 of them will be able to say they are champs. and only about 20 can say that they had a real chance to win it all.

If you look at the pro sports the leagues for the most part operate under the priciple of creating 'parity' by utilizing things like the salary cap in order to remove many of the competitive advantages some franchises might have simply through the good fortune of being in a 'better' location than others in the league. Baseball might be a big exception with the Yankees and a couple others spending whatever it takes with a soft cap but not so with football.

That is what is so frustrating about the Bills. They defy the rules of statistical probability and chance. To miss the playoffs 13 straight seasons you don't need to be bad and incompetent, you've got to really work at it! It seems almost too simple but just doing the exact opposite of what they've been doing for the past 13 years should be enough to turn things around.

Start by drafting some QB's prospects, spend some big money on a good coaching staff, pick a 'system' and stick with it by hiring front office and coaching candidates that 'fit' the system. Look at the successful teams and emulate what they do.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Probably none, but I wonder if they are any "at least we're not the Buffalo Bills" post on those other fan boards?

Oh so true!!!

That's right Bills fans things are never so bad that they couldn't get worst.

Got that right. We could be told that Chan is still our coach next season as well..... Oh crap!

Yes, being an Eagles fan is way worse than being a Bills fan. They haven't won anything since 1960. Their history of regular season and playoff futility is worse than the Bills. Plus, right now they feel about Andy Reid and Michael Vick like we do about Chan Gailey and Pitz.

No way! Your competitive every friggin year, the bills had a couple runs.

If your a Bill's fan and you're not mad as hell as hell how this year has turned out you are brain dead!!!

The Coach must go.

The QB must go.

The GM must go

The front office must go

Hell if I owned the Team I would hire an Indian to shoot Buffalo Billy at midfield just to change the culture of this looser organization, and I love the Bills