Why I like the Buddy System

BisonMan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you honestly say the team is better. Based on we "almost beat the pats***" The bar has become so low here it's comical at times.

My eyes tell me the team is better. The offense can actually score points. The quarterback isn't getting sacked every other play. The offensive play calling is generally interesting and creative. The defense seems to be improving and certainly has talent, although that hasn't translated yet except for the Miami game (KC is HORRIBLE).

Do you forget the craptastic offense we fielded under Jauron with Trentative at QB? THAT is setting the bar low (if you think the team hasn't improved).

You guys who want a PERFECT transition with ZERO missteps are delusional IMHO.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Best thing he has done is re-sign players. In years past Stevie would have left, chandler would be gone, anyone that showed anything in the nfl gone.

I also like how active the bills are on the waiver wire. Urbik, pears, and chandler have benefited the bills this route.

Lastly I love that they cut bait with players that can't produce. Cutting Trent was ballsy and so was trading lee Evans.

The record may not reflect the improvements of the bills but the roster is clearly improved since Buddy took over.

My eyes tell me the team is better. The offense can actually score points. The quarterback isn't getting sacked every other play. The offensive play calling is generally interesting and creative. The defense seems to be improving and certainly has talent, although that hasn't translated yet except for the Miami game (KC is HORRIBLE).

Do you forget the craptastic offense we fielded under Jauron with Trentative at QB? THAT is setting the bar low (if you think the team hasn't improved).

You guys who want a PERFECT transition with ZERO missteps are delusional IMHO.

I'll argue based on performance and coaching the Bills this year have regressed. Plus the luxury of a "easy" schedule to help them along. The defense is insanely under producing.

ZERO missteps? Most would call 2012 a collapse. This is what they have put together a little over two and a half into the regime. Most other organizations would find this performance cause to change the FO. I'll stick with my argument. This team sucks and needs players on both sides of the ball before they go anywhere. Nix should not be handling drafting a QB.

Best thing he has done is re-sign players. In years past Stevie would have left, chandler would be gone, anyone that showed anything in the nfl gone.

I also like how active the bills are on the waiver wire. Urbik, pears, and chandler have benefited the bills this route.

Lastly I love that they cut bait with players that can't produce. Cutting Trent was ballsy and so was trading lee Evans.

The record may not reflect the improvements of the bills but the roster is clearly improved since Buddy took over.

in addition, i also think he gets major props for signing mario williams.....debunking the theory that big name free agents won't sign here....i fully expect, once healthy, that mario will be a VERY productive player.

i think nix deserves somewhat of a pass because of the complete lack of talent he inherited.

on the downside, i think torell troup and aaron williams are BIG misses in the second round.

With the O lines that we have had in the past a Rookie would wind up just like JP or Trent . I think that both of those guys had a good skill set & the smarts , JP was doomed from day one with the coaching changes & the terrible line play on offense .

We now have a good line (that we need to keep together) & if you put a Tyler Wilson , Geno Smith , Bray or some one with a good skill set they will be more apt to succeed .

Previous FO Allowed to Leave:

Antoine Winfield

Nate Clements

Ted Washington

Macelus Wiley

Pat Williams

Jabari Greer

Marshawn Lynch

Willis McGahee

Jason Peters

Jim Leonard

Donte Whitner

Paul Pozlozney

I know I'm missing a couple, but everyone knows the point. I'm not a Gailey fan anymore, and Nix doesn't own the 2010 draft so in two years, 2011, and 2012, I see a better talented team than before. What noone seems to want to admit is we decimated a team over a decade and it will take years to rebuild. The only reason I belive to keep Gailey is if he had a QB, and a solid WR, could he do something special with the Bills. I don;t know i fit is his talent he has or his lack of skills. You can't make a SB team with B talent. Has anyone seen how good Mike Williams looks in Tampa now that they have Vincent Jackson? Can Buddy retain Byrd, Levitre, and the rest of the guys and build on it in the next two years. I hate waiting, but maybe we do have the right mgmt and maybe I'm wrong and we do have the right coach.

What everyone looks at is stories like SF. What they don't want to look at is a good FO that picked guys like Willis who with the right coaching made Harbaugh's job managemable to make a winning team. That doesn't take anything against his skills. What I'm saying is we had probably the weakest talented team in the NFL and will take 5 years to create a winning team.

I was kind of with you until the end. Since the remaining schedule has the Bills playing other sub .500 ball scrub teams. You remain hopeful and confident that what we can beat only similar crap teams? Because really that is all the Bills beat. Other scrub teams that are going nowhere. Good times.

Yes, the Bills are not yet a winning team. They don't yet compete with the likes of NE, Houston, SF, etc. I think they are closer than they have been in the past where I had no faith in the organization's direction.

For those bemoaning the failures the Bills have had in recent drafts, let's get some perspective. The draft is still a bit of a crapshoot. The Patriots are often considered a great drafting team. Excluding 2012, how many players from the Pats prior four drafts that were picked in the first three rounds are still on the team? 10 of 20 picks in the first 3 rounds from 2008 to 2011 are still on the team. 8 are starters. To be fair, there are a couple of Pro Bowlers in there (Gronk and McCourty). Of course, being on a good team helps improve your stock. The great defensive guru Bill Bellicheck has had one of the worst defenses in the league for several years running despite drafting for defensive players for much of the last few years.

On one hand, I want to agree, and I like our team on paper, and see us as an average defense away from being a legit playoff team.

On the other hand, our record has been atrocious, worse than when Nix/Chan took over. So clearly whatever we are doing isn't working. I like his picks/moves on paper, but they aren't translating on the field. If we don't finish at least .500 this year, I'm not sure if any of them should keep their jobs unless there is truly no one better available.

Nicely stated. I'll take it one step further. I think the talent on the field and the offensive play design is better, but the offensive and defensive playcalling/scheme and the effort/chemistry of the players is worse.

. What I'm saying is we had probably the weakest talented team in the NFL and will take 5 years to create a winning team.

What a crock of crap! Nix / gailey only changed like 8 no name players in 2010 in their first year and then went 4-12 and MADE THE TEAM WORSE!! Jauron 7-9 to gailey 4-12

How and why did they make it worse?

Gailey hiring a bunch of his college buddies from GT and then needing to train them to be NFL coaches took some time. Hiring a scrub like George Edwards to run the defense.

Gailey hand picked QB Trent Edwards as his starter and wasted an entire pre season and all those 1st string reps on a guy he would cut after two games, utterly moronic! Fitz wasn't even close to ready to start the season with shared back up reps with Brian Brohm, again utterly moronic!!

The one thing Jauron did to screw the team in 09 was cut the starting LG and RT. Nix brought in RT Cornell Green in free agency and gave him 2 mill a year. What a complete waste of space Green was at RT and was quietly benched and cut after 5 games. Another reason the team started out 0-8 with Fitz literally running for his life.

The 2010-2012 drafts when the team was desperate for a LT-RT-pass rusher- WR- LB and none of those positions were satisfactorily addressed the first 2 years. The team still is desperate for better LBers and a top WR

P.S. It was Buddy Nix who decided not to resign Poz and Whitner.

These guys suck, 14-28 :sick:

What a crock of crap! Nix / gailey only changed like 8 no name players in 2010 in their first year and then went 4-12 and MADE THE TEAM WORSE!! Jauron 7-9 to gailey 4-12

Gailey hiring a bunch of his college buddies from GT and then needing to train them to be NFL coaches took some time. Hiring a scrub like George Edwards to run the defense.

Gailey hand picked QB Trent Edwards as his starter and wasted an entire pre season and all those 1st string reps on a guy he would cut after two games, utterly moronic! Fitz wasn't even close to ready to start the season with shared back up reps with Brian Brohm, again utterly moronic!!

The one thing Jauron did to screw the team in 09 was cut the starting LG and RT. Nix brought in RT Cornell Green in free agency and gave him 2 mill a year. What a complete waste of space Green was at RT and was quietly benched and cut after 5 games. Another reason the team started out 0-8 with Fitz literally running for his life.

The 2010-2012 drafts when the team was desperate for a LT-RT-pass rusher- WR- LB and none of those positions were satisfactorily addressed the first 2 years. The team still is desperate for better LBers and a top WR

Poz had an offer from buffalo, but chose to leave because at the time Jax was in the 4-3 defense and buffalo was in a 3-4. he reasoned he would be more productive if protected by the extra d-lineman.

lil donte was over rated.

This is the dumbest post ever,,do u Not remember all the ****ty players we had..it takes time to get players and build a team

Just saying stupid post. Go follow the cowboys

in addition, i also think he gets major props for signing mario williams.....debunking the theory that big name free agents won't sign here....i fully expect, once healthy, that mario will be a VERY productive player.

i think nix deserves somewhat of a pass because of the complete lack of talent he inherited.

on the downside, i think torell troup and aaron williams are BIG misses in the second round.

Nix doesn't own the 2010 draft so in two years, 2011, and 2012, I see a better talented team than before. What noone seems to want to admit is we decimated a team over a decade and it will take years to rebuild.

Nix, who was the Chief scout in 2009 and GM in 2010 completely owns the 2010 draft. You can't credibly say otherwise. He's a seasoned scout and he was the GM who had to have a clear picture of what he wanted in mind. Blaming Modrak is nonsense.

And how can anyone can still claim that the team he "inherited" was completely lacking in talent when half the starters on the roster on opening day this season (3rd season into Buddy) were "inherited" and make up the majority of the best players on the roster?

Nix, who was the Chief scout in 2009 and GM in 2010 completely owns the 2010 draft. You can't credibly say otherwise. He's a seasoned scout and he was the GM who had to have a clear picture of what he wanted in mind. Blaming Modrak is nonsense.

And how can anyone can still claim that the team he "inherited" was completely lacking in talent when half the starters on the roster on opening day this season (3rd season into Buddy) were "inherited" and make up the majority of the best players on the roster?

You forgot the full data fitting argument. Nix gets credit for the good picks in 2009, and Jauron (and now Modrak) get the blame for the bad ones. Spiller was someone else's idea until very recently, now he's clearly a Nix pick. And let's not forget Nix gets credit for all the good picks San Diego made and before that Buffalo in its golden era. Anybody that's met the man can see that A.J. Smith isn't very opinionated or strong willed.

PS: As far as the buddy system, I agree that swimming alone is dumb, B-)

If the Bills show genuine improvement the rest of the way (particularly on D) and finish with at least 7 wins I'd be for given them another year. At least we'd get off the 3 year cycle of rebuilding the team.

I'm ok with keeping them if we do finish strong.

Not only that, all these fans drinking the kool-aid and wearing the rose colored glasses need to remember one of Buddy Nix's first ever statements as GM.

""I know before I'm asked this, you're going to think I'm crazy, but we're not that far away.""

The entire reason he made this statement was because he thought talent wise the Bills were already close to being a playoff team, and he was absolutely correct. So in his mind the team wasn't devoid of talent like most delusional fans want to think. It was after 5 games when he realized that the HC he hired wasn't getting the job done that he changed his tune to "its going to take some time".

Buddy Nix did the best job he could as new GM given the circumstances surrounding the hiring of a new HC. Everyone in the world knew the buffalo Bills were getting desperate to hire someone, anyone with the smallest bit of creditability as most all the people Nix wanted to hire were either rejected by the Bills owner or themselves rejected the Job.

Just saying stupid post. Go follow the cowboys

Someone doesn't agree with your opinion so they are supposed to suddenly change teams, speaking of stupid... :lol:

one example would be ZERO STARTERS in the AFC Pro Bowl for 2010.

one example would be ZERO STARTERS in the AFC Pro Bowl for 2010.

Then by that standard, the number of starters in the AFC Pro Bowl for 2011? How many are projected for 2012 (especially with a heavy defensive focus of Buddy's drafts?)