Laugh all you want - Merriman does make a difference

GG

You don't have to believe in the intangibles or question whether he can hold up for a full season, but the evidence is undeniable - when Merriman is in the lineup, the defense plays with a different intensity and there is more pressure on the QB.

He was ineffective in the last two games, but it's understandable for him to take some time to get back in game shape. Today he showed what he can do. Nobody should expect an overall dominating effort. But he's certainly showed more off the bench than the Bills have been accustomed to. And we shouldn't discount his influence in the locker room. Let's hope he can stay healthy, because this is a better defense when he's on the field.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points, all. He's not as explosive off the ball but he can hold his ground in the run game still and he does make the OL work every play it seems. I think his effort is infectious as well.

GO BILLS!!!

He looked good tonight. I only saw a few plays where he was dominated at the point of attack. Most of the time he was in good position and he definitely goes 100% more than anybody not named Kyle Williams in the front 7. Let's hope he stays healthy.

Merriman reminded me of what we all hoped Maybin might be like, except sort of reversed. As Maybin bulked up he lost speed. As Merriman got banged up he lost speed. Either way, these amazing athletes can only go so far with their ability. I am happy with what we have in Merriman and am glad we have a roster of players that can contribute unlike just a few years ago when we had guys idling in roster space.

While he looked good at times, I saw Merriman get dominated at the point of attack on more than one occasion. I understand that that happens from time-to-time, however, a good football player will never give up on a play, which is what I saw Merriman a number of times.

He, along with the rest of the team, were great against the run. LB's made some great plays to back up the D-Line's effort.

While he looked good at times, I saw Merriman get dominated at the point of attack on more than one occasion. I understand that that happens from time-to-time, however, a good football player will never give up on a play, which is what I saw Merriman a number of times.

He, along with the rest of the team, were great against the run. LB's made some great plays to back up the D-Line's effort.

To temper things... He's our 5th string DE. Its totally acceptable for a 5th string DE to not play perfect. ;)

Riddle me this - why do the Bills cut a guy who is this good? If he isn't going to be a starter anymore (Mario/Anderson) then doesn't he get demoted to 2nd or even third string before getting cut? Seriously, they cut a guy who is much better than our second stringers! No wonder our team never seems to have depth of any kind.

Then they bring him back and he plays really well, better than the guys they did keep. Really makes you questions our scoutting staff even MORE than we already question them on their draft pick resume (which is awful)

Riddle me this - why do the Bills cut a guy who is this good? If he isn't going to be a starter anymore (Mario/Anderson) then doesn't he get demoted to 2nd or even third string before getting cut? Seriously, they cut a guy who is much better than our second stringers! No wonder our team never seems to have depth of any kind.

Then they bring him back and he plays really well, better than the guys they did keep. Really makes you questions our scoutting staff even MORE than we already question them on their draft pick resume (which is awful)

This isn't a negative Nancy reply, but it's one decent game in three. They cut him to make room essentially for Moore and I don't think anyone's going to argue with how that turned out.