Thread for intelligent football dicussion

After that game, I am not 100% certain that drafting a QB in the 1st round is an absolute slam dunk, lay-up, no-brainer. I was prior to the game, but after watching Fitzpatrick not only play a pretty close to perfect game until the pick- which yes, his clutch abilities are extremely suspect- but also to tell Spikes "F*** you man," that was freaking awesome. I STILL BELIEVE that drafting a QB in the 1st round is probably the conservative thing to do, but man, if they had any kind of defense whatsoever, they win that game going away. If they do in fact draft a QB in the ist round and pass up on a stud LB, does that make them a better team next season? I think the answer to that questikon is very simple: if it's the guy you think will be the franchise guy for the next ten years, then it doesn't matter. You take him. But if not? Buddy Nix is too smart to draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB. Just playing devil's advocate, I think there is still an argument to be made that you can wing it with Fitz for one more season and see if you can't get a new defensive coordinator, draft a Teo and see what happens. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that game, I am not 100% certain that drafting a QB in the 1st round is an absolute slam dunk, lay-up, no-brainer. I was prior to the game, but after watching Fitzpatrick not only play a pretty close to perfect game until the pick- which yes, his clutch abilities are extremely suspect- but also to tell Spikes "F*** you man," that was freaking awesome. I STILL BELIEVE that drafting a QB in the 1st round is probably the conservative thing to do, but man, if they had any kind of defense whatsoever, they win that game going away. If they do in fact draft a QB in the ist round and pass up on a stud LB, does that make them a better team next season? I think the answer to that questikon is very simple: if it's the guy you think will be the franchise guy for the next ten years, then it doesn't matter. You take him. But if not? Buddy Nix is too smart to draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB. Just playing devil's advocate, I think there is still an argument to be made that you can wing it with Fitz for one more season and see if you can't get a new defensive coordinator, draft a Teo and see what happens. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

I agree. Fitz is never going to be a franchise QB, but I think the spotlight of his errors in potential game-winning situations are exacerbated by the fact that we constantly play catch up. This team plays horrible defense, and all QBs make mistakes. If we had the luxury of playing with a lead, you would see a much more relaxed QB, I think.

Hopefully Buddy sees a franchise QB in this draft, but I think we end up drafting a LB/pass rusher. I'd love a team with a productive Mario, Kyle Moore, and stud rookie at the end positions.

Some (hopefully intelligent) things to consider:

Fitz is a backup in this league, no matter how many linebackers he takes on. His record speaks for itself.

Not one single Bill came to Fitz's aid, a sure sign of a soft team that is giving up.

Nix better take a QB soon and his failure to do so could cause him to reach. At a minimum it will cause some very big expectations for whoever that person is.

This is crazy that for the second straight year Fitz's heir apaprent is not on the roster.

The best player on the team does not get 12 touches a game? Spiller is on our team right? aYet we played with an empty backfield for every single play on the last drive. Nothing like making it easy on the Pats.

Buddy Nix too smart? First time I ever heard that one.

Our coaching staff continues to be out-coached week in and week out. The stupid penalties speak volumes for a lack of discipline and readines. I point to Chan for that.

The Pats are pretty good offensively and when they get help like that from the refs, its tough for the defense. They played well enough to give them a chance to win. If they could have forced a turnover at some point, they probably win.

The Bills are talented enough to win games. They can definitely upgrade from Fitz but there is no QB in the draft that is better than him right now. The best ones have good potential but need to be developed. In the 1st round, they should take the best player available.

Ultimately it will depend on the rest of the season goes with this team to see who is here and what they need to get better.

We need to draft a qb, but its unrealistic to think just because we draft one that he's automatically going to be said "franchise quarterback". This has been a big problem for a lot of teams. Fitz is ideal to keep in a mentor role. Instead of throwing a rookie to the fire. Let fitz start have the rookie sit on the bench and Aaron Rodgers his way into a starting role. Build the team around the strengths of the team. Like that CJ Spiller guy. We're more likely to get a average qb who's not much better than what we got, so it's best to let him learn his way into the game rather than throwing him to the wolves and learning we just got stuck with the next Blaine Gabbert.

OK, if we're talking "intelligence," why is it so hard to play both Spiller and Jackson at the same time?

Two thoughts, both are threats to a defense, how about putting your best players on the field--is sports, that usually gives you the best chance to win? Right?

And if Chan is such an offensive guru, don't you think he could design a couple of plays with the both of them out there?

OK, if we're talking "intelligence," why is it so hard to play both Spiller and Jackson at the same time?

Two thoughts, both are threats to a defense, how about putting your best players on the field--is sports, that usually gives you the best chance to win? Right?

And if Chan is such an offensive guru, don't you think he could design a couple of plays with the both of them out there?

There were a few plays with both CJ and Fred, and they were effective. Why didn't we run more of them? Freddy is ideal for burning time off the clock, but is not fit for two-minute drive scenarios, as we are constantly playing catch up and throwing/running draws with CJ because of our horrible defense.

Fred Jackson is no longer one of our best players. We could probably get similar production out of tashard choice, Hell Tashard choice is averaging 4.3ypc this year on only 20 less carries than Fred Jackson who's averaging 3.7. Cj Spiller should be getting touches and kept on the field at all times other than the occasional breather, but outside of that the offense should revolve around Spiller

Fred Jackson is no longer one of our best players. We could probably get similar production out of tashard choice, Hell Tashard choice is averaging 4.3ypc this year on only 20 less carries than Fred Jackson who's averaging 3.7. Cj Spiller should be getting touches and kept on the field at all times other than the occasional breather, but outside of that the offense should revolve around Spiller

Exactly!!!!!

+1000!!!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Aren't Byrd and Levitre free agents after this year? Doesn't that mean a bidding war for them? Doesn't that make it a concern that they won't be on the Bills next year? Doesn't that impact draft and free agent concerns? Doesn't that mean that QB and LB won't be the only missing pieces?

Just trying to spread some joy. :bag:

I was at Foxboro today, and the thing that makes me crazy is how Spiller is not in the goal line offense every time, unless Fred is hurt. And why is it they consistently spread the field on first and goal? Let McIntyre lead one of our backs up the gut once in a while, or play action off of it.

Well considering the other talent on the team, Fred still is one of our "better" players unfortunately. But Spiller is light years ahead of Fred you're right. Someone's got to tell the coaches that though, because they're still play calling like FJ and CJ are comparable players. They are not.

uh...we need Levitre brother

Byrd is a top-5 safety in this league. It's amazing how posters on this board have such a strong love/hate relationship with players depending on whether the team wins or loses. I love the number of posts declaring that Kyle Williams has no heart or is the only player with heart on defense, for example.