Thread for intelligent football dicussion

Thank you. That's all I'm trying to say. And to take it one tiny step further, I don't think Fitz is putrid enough to bring someone else in unless they're a surefire bet at being an upgrade day one.

Here's your opportunity to offer some intelligence.

Why don't you go ahead tell us how you determine any QB prospect is a "surefire bet".

When finished, get your resume together and send it out to all teams NFL.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really strikes to the heart of what has been a truly pathetic scouting department. Donahoe trusted his draft board and went all in for JP Losman, which turned out to be a far reaching failure that has had negative repercussions for years. When Modrak and his crew gave JP Losman the same basic grade as Roethlisberger and Rivers and compounded that by saying no one else in that same draft or even the next draft was anywhere close ... well, it was another one of the catastrophically lousy decisions that the Bills front office dumped on its suffering fan base. The Bills have the longest non-playoff streak in the NFL for a reason.

I agree with what you've written.

> Donahoe trusted his draft board and went all in for JP Losman, which turned out to be a far reaching failure that has had negative repercussions for years.

A very far reaching failure!

• The Bills have had one franchise QB in team history: Jim Kelly.
  • The Patriots have had 1.5 franchise QBs in their team's history: Tom Brady and the first half of Drew Bledsoe's career.
  • The Dolphins have had two franchise QBs in their team's history.
  • The Jets have had one franchise QB in their team's history: Joe Namath.

TD had several chances to obtain the second franchise QB in Bills' history:

• In 2001, he chose to draft Nate Clements instead of Drew Brees.
  • In 2004, he chose not to trade up for Roethlisberger
  • Also in 2004, he chose not to draft Matt Schaub
  • In 2005, he was unable to draft Aaron Rodgers; having squandered his first round pick on the Losman debacle

Admittedly, all the teams in the NFL passed on Schaub at least twice. If you like, I'll give TD a pass on 50% of Schaub. This means that TD had 3.5 legitimate opportunities to add a franchise QB to the team. He squandered every one. If he'd hit on even one of those, it would have been the second time in the ~50 year history of this team that we would have had a franchise QB.