Last album you bought

NoSaint

I saw that MMJ vinyl. Its just a 2 song EP, correct? The Newport Jazz recording with the chick from Alabama Shakes? How is it?

Just picked up releases from the stones, Bowie, Dylan, and my morning jacket on vinyl at the Record store day event I mentioned.

I have tried not to buy into all the MMJ hype, but everytime I listen to them I like them a little bit more....the kicker for me was when I realized that Jim James alter ego is named Yim Yames. That is just pure brilliance...how did he ever come up with that???? That and the American Dad episode that features them...Them aside...I am a huge Alabama Shakes fan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztzO0c7RTlA&sns=em

Here you go - not the greatest video but its the song being played live, and it gives a pretty good idea of what it was all 'bout

Dave Matthews Band - Away From The World

Great album from top to bottom.

Gary Clark Jr - Blak and Blu

Moments of brilliance tarnished by some really terrible tracks.

Mumford and Sons - Babel

More of the same sound which is great if you love them but a bit tiresome if you don't.

I'm surprised hearing the name here - I think he has great crossover potential. Super talented, young, REALLY charismatic, and starting to get a feel for what's mass marketable without totally selling out his brass roots. Not often a guy playing trombone has that potential, but I think he does.

Even some of us Yankees can recognize when a young man can flat out p-l-a-y.

The last few years I've been getting into what I can only inadequately describe is sort of a new school New Orleans sound; Shorty, Galactic, Marc Ronson, Harry Connick's band, etc

I'll always have a place for folks like Dr John, Clifton Chenier, the Nevilles, Buckwheat Zydeco and the boys at Preservation Hall, but some of these young bucks are blowing me away.

If you have any other suggestions, I am certainly all ears.

Even some of us Yankees can recognize when a young man can flat out p-l-a-y.

The last few years I've been getting into what I can only inadequately describe is sort of a new school New Orleans sound; Shorty, Galactic, Marc Ronson, Harry Connick's band, etc

I'll always have a place for folks like Dr John, Clifton Chenier, the Nevilles, Buckwheat Zydeco and the boys at Preservation Hall, but some of these young bucks are blowing me away.

If you have any other suggestions, I am certainly all ears.

i'll pass a name on that i learned of here: lavay smith and her red hot skillet lickers. "one hour mama" has gotten a lot of play at my house. her band can really belt it out. has a new album out too but i haven't listened to it yet. Edited by birdog1960

If it counts, my Blu-ray of Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day came with the CDs. Haven't played them, but the BD was a very pleasant surprise, they really brought it that night, Kashmir in particular blew me away.

Robert Plant shops pretty regularly at the record store I work at. Not long ago, he came in and picked up a bootleg vinyl copy of the reunion show...was trying to link a picture, but i can't get it to work on here!

Was listening to the official release the other night...sounds really good...but it is pretty noticeable how much Plant's voice has dropped..he still sounds good, but the Zep shriek is gone daddy gone!

Edited by Buftex

Robert Plant shops pretty regularly at the record store I work at. Not long ago, he came in and picked up a bootleg vinyl copy of the reunion show...was trying to link a picture, but i can't get it to work on here!

Was listening to the official release the other night...sounds really good...but it is pretty noticeable how much Plant's voice has dropped..he still sounds good, but the Zep shriek is gone daddy gone!

That's awesome... does everyone recognize him, or can he slide around undisturbed? Yeah, the shriek is long gone, but the most surprising thing to me about that show was that he still made it work, I thought the vocals would be a weak link.

I'm sure he's recognized but I bet he hates being called Ms. Diller...

:-)

That's awesome... does everyone recognize him, or can he slide around undisturbed? Yeah, the shriek is long gone, but the most surprising thing to me about that show was that he still made it work, I thought the vocals would be a weak link.

Yeah, he does get recognized, and he is pretty cool with it..though I have never seen him get totally barraged by people. First time he came in, that I saw him, I go to the back room to clock in...and I see one of the buyers at his desk, crowded around him are Patty G (who I recognized immediately) and "some guy"...they are watching some video on youtube of some old blues song... I just kind of ignored it...but then I hear the guy speak, and the voice sounded real familiar...I give him another look, and realized it was RP... he just kind blends in, because most people would never expect to run into him I think...

He lives here (in Austin) as he dating (possibly secretly married to) Patty Griffin, a really terrific local singer-songwriter of some note. Funny, this weekend she is playing a benefit show for singer Michael Fracasso who was in a bad auto accident..the show is billed as "Patty Griffin and driver"...it sold out in minutes..."driver" is Plant...they added a second show, which also sold out in minutes...funny too, Plant drives around town in an old beat up Crown Victoria.

Another time, a Saturday, he came in, and was there a while...he and Patty are working on an album together, getting some material. A few people ask him for his autograph, and he is pretty polite, but not super chatty...don't blame him. About an hour after he leaves, Morrissey comes in (he was playing in town that weekend)...with two bodyguards...this kid I work with, who had gotten Plants auto (for his dad he says!) is a huge Morrissey/Smiths fan...he goes to ask him for his autograph on a new Smiths vinyl that had just come out, but the bodyguards head him off at the pass, as they did with some other regular customers...I said to him "When you check him out at the register, just tell him you are going to give Robert a call, and he will come down here and kick your ass!" :lol:

Edited by Buftex

Yeah, he does get recognized, and he is pretty cool with it..though I have never seen him get totally barraged by people. First time he came in, that I saw him, I go to the back room to clock in...and I see one of the buyers at his desk, crowded around him are Patty G (who I recognized immediately) and "some guy"...they are watching some video on youtube of some old blues song... I just kind of ignored it...but then I hear the guy speak, and the voice sounded real familiar...I give him another look, and realized it was RP... he just kind blends in, because most people would never expect to run into him I think...

He lives here (in Austin) as he dating (possibly secretly married to) Patty Griffin, a really terrific local singer-songwriter of some note. Funny, this weekend she is playing a benefit show for singer Michael Fracasso who was in a bad auto accident..the show is billed as "Patty Griffin and driver"...it sold out in minutes..."driver" is Plant...they added a second show, which also sold out in minutes...funny too, Plant drives around town in an old beat up Crown Victoria.

Another time, a Saturday, he came in, and was there a while...he and Patty are working on an album together, getting some material. A few people ask him for his autograph, and he is pretty polite, but not super chatty...don't blame him. About an hour after he leaves, Morrissey comes in (he was playing in town that weekend)...with two bodyguards...this kid I work with, who had gotten Plants auto (for his dad he says!) is a huge Morrissey/Smiths fan...he goes to ask him for his autograph on a new Smiths vinyl that had just come out, but the bodyguards head him off at the pass, as they did with some other regular customers...I said to him "When you check him out at the register, just tell him you are going to give Robert a call, and he will come down here and kick your ass!" :lol:

That is too great. I'm glad to hear he is a really cool guy. Never been impressed with Morrissey though, I bet Plant really would kick that wimp's ass. :D

I see that Page, Plant, & Jones will be on Letterman Monday after receiving Kennedy Center Honors on Sunday.

http://ultimateclass...avid-letterman/

I was just talking about them to a friend yesterday...i am not familiar with them but have heard a lot of year end best of lists with them at or near the top...i guess i have a job to do today...listen to tame impala

On vinyl, Tame Impala - Lonerism

Big :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

That is too great. I'm glad to hear he is a really cool guy. Never been impressed with Morrissey though, I bet Plant really would kick that wimp's ass. :D

I see that Page, Plant, & Jones will be on Letterman Monday after receiving Kennedy Center Honors on Sunday.

http://ultimateclass...avid-letterman/

Hey Rico...a clip of "Patty Grifffin and driver" at the Continental Club this past weekend...150 maximum! Wish I could have been there! Not sure how I feel about this version of a Zep classic..but cool nonetheless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDjl0D-3Fc0

Edited by Buftex

Dave Matthews Band - Away From The World

Great album from top to bottom.

Gary Clark Jr - Blak and Blu

Moments of brilliance tarnished by some really terrible tracks.

Mumford and Sons - Babel

More of the same sound which is great if you love them but a bit tiresome if you don't.

Very good album. A little different than some of their other stuff but has some great songs on it. I love "Drunken Soldier", "Sweet", "Belly Belly Nice". A lot of people hate on Dave Matthews Band without really listening to a lot of their GOOD stuff.