Pocket Presence, Andrew Luck v. Fitz

Watching Luck on Thursday Night Football (not to mention his 440 yds last week) I have finally figured out Fitz' limitation (I know many of you know this already)...he lacks any form of pocket presence. This 21 yr old kid has the ability to drop back and then step forward in the pocket....all without an O Line as good as ours. Fitz on the other hand feels it necessary to release the ball in 2 seconds without feeling comfortable in the pocket. Luck has thrown downfield and has caused the Jags to respect the deep ball...we have no such luck in our QB. Not sure if Fitz is uncomfortable in the pocket or what but his pocket presence absolutely sucks.

Watching Luck on Thursday Night Football (not to mention his 440 yds last week) I have finally figured out Fitz' limitation (I know many of you know this already)...he lacks any form of pocket presence. This 21 yr old kid has the ability to drop back and then step forward in the pocket....all without an O Line as good as ours. Fitz on the other hand feels it necessary to release the ball in 2 seconds without feeling comfortable in the pocket. Luck has thrown downfield and has caused the Jags to respect the deep ball...we have no such luck in our QB. Not sure if Fitz is uncomfortable in the pocket or what but his pocket presence absolutely sucks.

Luck is better in so many ways other than just pocket presence...

Luck can throw the ball downfield to his receivers

Luck is more accurate than Fitz

Luck is a next generation Ben Rothelisberger (Who was the next generation Kelly in his own times).

I have to completely agree with you on this. Also I think Fitz is almost OVERLY composed. He has no KILLER instinct. He doesn't know how to play QB in my opinion haha.

I'd also like to add that with Ryan Fitzshattrick we will NOT make the playoffs. EVER. And with Gailey living and dying with his QB he will be gone too. This team needs to be a running play action team out from center. The colts do a good job and so do the Texans of this offense.

Fitz is not Luck. what a shock.

Made the same point in the shoutbox last night.

I was quickly told that since he was playing Jacksonville I shouldn't draw any conclusions. <_< Sure, like arm strength and field awareness are going to evaporate against stronger competition.

been saying this for 2 years now......fitz has no pocket presence which ultimately means DOOOOOOOOOOM!

watch a good qb make plays in the pocket with linemen all around him........exact opposite of fitz.......cut the cord now...

its a job for the .0000001 percent......no shame in not being it.....

Fitz is not Luck. what a shock.

Believe it or not, it actually IS a surprise to many Bills fans circa two years ago. Lots of the rhetoric around here was about "Fitz is a young QB and improving", "We don't need Luck; If he were putting up Fitz's numbers, we'd jizz", "First round QBs are too risky", "Luck was an idiot for returning to school; now he's going to slip in the draft"

Bills fans are dumb

Luck looked pretty good. But he had a much better team around him last night than Gabbert. Reggie Wayne was wide open all night. I thought Luck got very lucky. He had 2 INT's and a Fumble (luckily one of the INTs got called back because of a cheap penalty). I was not as impressed with Luck as I was expecting to be. And the biggest takeaway from that game was that I feel back for Gabbert. Switch places with Luck and he would be the one getting all the hype and Luck would be criticized. JAX has no talent to help Gabbert at all.

I disagree. For all of Fitz's shortcomings, lack of pocket presence isn't one of them.

The fact that he is one of the least sacked QB's behind a completely medicore offensive line is proof of that.

Disagree 200%.....fitz is jumpy and scared......OL is solid

i guess everyone has their own take on this though.

I disagree. For all of Fitz's shortcomings, lack of pocket presence isn't one of them.

The fact that he is one of the least sacked QB's behind a completely medicore offensive line is proof of that.

Yeah, this is almost laughable. Fitz is very good at the pocket and as good as the oline is, he's a big reason we avoid sacks. Of all the ways to knock Fitz compared to Luck, this is at the bottom of the list.

The thing I don't get is why they don't move Fitz around more. He's a pretty mobile and tough QB. Roll him out of the pocket and give him more options. Fitz with his arm and size will never be a good pocket passer.

Yeah, this is almost laughable. Fitz is very good at the pocket and as good as the oline is, he's a big reason we avoid sacks. Of all the ways to knock Fitz compared to Luck, this is at the bottom of the list.

Guess we were watching different games then. Avoiding sacks by running or dumping the ball off do not equal pocket presence. Pocket presence is that little slide to the left when you feel pressure, it's moving up in the pocket, keeping your eyes downfield and throwing a strike TO GET THE FIRST DOWN.

Guess we were watching different games then.

Fitz is one of the least sacked QBs since he has become a starter. The oline deserves credit but so does Fitz. Part of the problem is his size and he has to throw to spots because he struggles to see in the pocket. That's why he should be rolled out more IMO.

Disagree 200%.....fitz is jumpy and scared......OL is solid

i guess everyone has their own take on this though.

When I think of jumpy, scared, or poor pocket presence, the guys that come to mind are Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and Trent Edwards. How many times did those dopes sit back there, as we all watched the lineman coming from their blindside ready to sack and strip the ball? Edwards was so bad that he would take those sacks, even though his intent was only to check the ball down 3 yards to begin with.

Fitz is one of the least sacked QBs since he has become a starter. The oline deserves credit but so does Fitz. Part of the problem is his size and he has to throw to spots because he struggles to see in the pocket. That's why he should be rolled out more IMO.

He trusts his pre-snap reads too much and gets baited into throwing into coverages that he didn't think were there. The resulting interceptions, incompletions, and failed 3rd down conversions do help keep the sack tally low though. Finally, the lack of accuracy nips completions in the bud even when his read may be right.

The problem with rolling him out is that it takes time for a roll out to develop and cuts down the field. Since the passing game is limited to the short and quick, that would play against what they have been doing.