Why do I keep seeing on here Gailey would be good OC?

There are endless complaints on here [ and rightfully so] about a empty backfield on 3 and 2 and expecting a inaccurate QB to throw deep. Few Carry's for CJ and FJ. Yet I see posts saying he would be a good OC but not HC material. What am I missing?

I couldn't agree more. Well, I could, but then it would start to get awkward.

Anyway, I agree with you. His playcalling is losing us games.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are endless complaints on here [ and rightfully so] about a empty backfield on 3 and 2 and expecting a inaccurate QB to throw deep. Few Carry's for CJ and FJ. Yet I see posts saying he would be a good OC but not HC material. What am I missing?

Nothing. Chan would be a TERRIBLE OC. He is the OC now. He's terrible. Nix, Wanny AND Chan should all be gone at the end of the year.

I actually really like his scheme. Ive seen it be very effective and as much as I like Fitz and do think we can win with him, a top QB in this offense and we could be unstoppable

His schemes are awful when you look at game/clock management and his COMPLETE inability to stay in offensive rhythm. 3rd and 2 and he calls a 30 yard sideline pass, which fitz, 19 out of 20 times will miss and doing it when he has one of the best running backs in the league. 3rd and long, he has Fitz throw 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage in hopes that his target will make up the needed yardage??? Total Goof. Fire him and fast.

His schemes are awful when you look at game/clock management and his COMPLETE inability to stay in offensive rhythm. 3rd and 2 and he calls a 30 yard sideline pass, which fitz, 19 out of 20 times will miss and doing it when he has one of the best running backs in the league. 3rd and long, he has Fitz throw 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage in hopes that his target will make up the needed yardage??? Total Goof. Fire him and fast.

Good call.

I agree with you and every other poster on here who wants him fired IMMEDIATELY.. His schemes of running 5 wide, empty backfield w a horrendously inaccurate QB that can not throw downfield, and marginal receivers (other than Stevie) at best, when we have an awesome ground game combined w horrific game management. (ie-Wildcat pass by Brad Smith to end zone against Arizona, not being aggressive against Houston by kicking FG on 4th and 1 inside 5, refusing to feed CJ Spiller the ball even some of the time on a consistent basis behind a very good run blocking line against Houston and just about everyone else-what coach would not give the ball to CJ w his yards per carry this year?) and his total inability to motivate the team to play hard, fast and tough on a regular basis, as well as his total uninvolvement for the defense makes it impossible to defend him.

Look at his record w the Bills. 13-27 w how many blowout losses? Would someone who has more time than me please figure out over the past two and a half seasons which teams in the league lost their games by the biggest margins? I have to believe we would be in the top three for this dubious statistic. And what this shows is that Gailey is not capable of coaching up a team that can compete (let alone win) in the NFL on a weekly basis. We are not prepared to play a large amount of the time. We should not even be having this thread as he should have been fired after the loss to San Francisco. Period!!!

The Bills went into half-time down 6-7 this past week I believe.

Gailey's haf-time adjustment: Absolutely abandon the running game, when down 1, and THROW-THROW-THROW.

How many three-and-out series were there that he only threw the ball?

I read that in the 2nd half, FReddy and CJ had a combined 3 carries. Can that actually be correct. I'm not looking it up.

Thank you for posting this. I have been wondering that same thing for over a year, but I lacked the testicular fortitude to actually put the thought in print.

The Bills went into half-time down 6-7 this past week I believe.

Gailey's haf-time adjustment: Absolutely abandon the running game, when down 1, and THROW-THROW-THROW.

How many three-and-out series were there that he only threw the ball?

I read that in the 2nd half, FReddy and CJ had a combined 3 carries. Can that actually be correct. I'm not looking it up.

The 3 runs I believe is correct. But, Gailey astutely noticed they were stacking the box. So he let noodle arm throw some short passes to have them mostly dropped by the scrubs paid to catch them. He kept doing that until the final gun. Nothing like coaching scared to build team morale.

I think Gailey fell in love with how well their short 3-receiver spread game protected Ryan last year and how it reduced the men in the box allowing Fred and CJ to have big games. It is a strategy that works to perfection for NE so why not try to copy it? Well, NE has Brady - that would be one reason.

It really does work, if you have a QB and receivers that can make teams pay for the single coverage they turn to on the outside. Fitz AND our receivers for the second half of last year and this year all had moments of craptastic play that has generally lead to way too many 3 and outs.

When Fitz and the offense are clicking our Defense comes out flat and gets raped.

At this point, most folks would rather see CJ or Fred running 2-3 yards and getting stopped in a cloud of dust than the passing game that has proven to be ineffective and turnover-prone.

Gailey is not dumb, just very very very very very stubborn.

A QB that can make defenses pay would change the entire complextion of this offense.

this is a good post. Gailey knows what he is doing, he's just handicapped somewhat by working with spare parts.

I think Gailey fell in love with how well their short 3-receiver spread game protected Ryan last year and how it reduced the men in the box allowing Fred and CJ to have big games. It is a strategy that works to perfection for NE so why not try to copy it? Well, NE has Brady - that would be one reason.

It really does work, if you have a QB and receivers that can make teams pay for the single coverage they turn to on the outside. Fitz AND our receivers for the second half of last year and this year all had moments of craptastic play that has generally lead to way too many 3 and outs.

When Fitz and the offense are clicking our Defense comes out flat and gets raped.

At this point, most folks would rather see CJ or Fred running 2-3 yards and getting stopped in a cloud of dust than the passing game that has proven to be ineffective and turnover-prone.

Gailey is not dumb, just very very very very very stubborn.

A QB that can make defenses pay would change the entire complextion of this offense.

I think this explains it best.

Gaileys, not dumb, just limited. I'm sure its frustrating for him because ocasionally Fitz can make the throws. Then he'll throw a duck.

The system works. Proof is in the New England offense. Problem is Gailey doesn't have a Brady, not sure if that makes him dumb or if he's just rolling with the punches cause thats all he has.

this is a good post. Gailey knows what he is doing, he's just handicapped somewhat by working with spare parts.

So Gailey is incapacitated by teams "stacking the box"? Daring us to throw? Nothing he can do about it?

So now other teams with weak QBs are facing the same dilemma?? The top 2 rushers in the league are Petersn and Lynch--both play on teams with QBs performing equivalently to Fitz in some measures and worse in others. Same with KC.

His solution to this seems to be to call 3 passing plays in the hopes that the defense backs off a bit. That's all he cam come up with? Besides the WC on first down??

Edited by Mr. WEO

The 3 runs I believe is correct. But, Gailey astutely noticed they were stacking the box. So he let noodle arm throw some short passes to have them mostly dropped by the scrubs paid to catch them. He kept doing that until the final gun. Nothing like coaching scared to build team morale.

OK, thanks for the info. I guess that makes more sense.

I don't really understand not going for it on 4th and 2 at the 4, but also possible I am misunderstandinf that.

So Gailey is incapacitated by teams "stacking the box"? Daring us to throw? Nothing he can do about it?

So now other teams with weak QBs are facing the same dilemma?? The top 2 rushers in the league are Petersn and Lynch--both play on teams with QBs performing equivalently to Fitz in some measures and worse in others. Same with KC.

His solution to this seems to be to call 3 passing plays in the hopes that the defense backs off a bit. That's all he cam come up with? Besides the WC on first down??

Not going to argue with that.

This year I do believe that he has hit the panic button way too quick and teams seem to know that when he goes to that empty set he has bailed on the run. Just because teams put 7-8 in the box does not mean that they have dictated your play calling unless you allow them to. I have always believed that running play whether it gains enough yards or not serves the purpose of keeping the defenses honest. Several times Houston showed 7-8 in the box only to drop everyone into short zones - a run against that call has a good chance of gaining the yards Chan was looking for.

He has become predictable which is dangerous for an OC, and he could be doing a better job with the offensive play calling this year.

All that being said, I think Chan with a good-to-great QB prospect would be a difficult OC for defenses to prepare against.

All that being said, I think Chan with a good-to-great QB prospect would be a difficult OC for defenses to prepare against.

You should play to your strenghts: Gailey plays to the weaknesses.

because no matter what he (Chan) does - We, the fans see this

• Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown an interception once every 8.6 attempts on throws 15 yards or longer, which is the worst in the NFL. Brady has just three interceptions in 209 attempts.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

You should play to your strenghts: Gailey plays to the weaknesses.

This year he has, and for the life of me I cannot explain it, but I have seen some horrifying offenses in Buffalo and Chan IMO has not sunk quite to that level - yet. Perhaps some of that panic he displays is just the result of the anxiety he feels that his defense is just not going to stop the other team from making 1st downs, maintaining possession, and eventually scoring. If he had a strong defense I am pretty sure he would not press it, rather he would stick to the run and just punt it away if and when it stalled amd trust his defense to get him the ball back.

He knows what the defenses are giving him (and yes those plays are there for the taking), but he cannot come to terms with the fact that Ryan just can't be relied on to make that key throw. If it isn't Ryan then it is two or three critical third down plays where we have our receivers flat out dropping the ball. I have also seen our receivers too often do the inexcusable and run comeback routes shy of the sticks to kill drives.

If the game was close in the second half I personally would shock folks and come out with a 2-TE pro-set with Stevie out wide, CJ and Freddy in the backfield, and give teams a steady dose of counters, stretch plays, screens, draws, and dives. Where you could motion Fitz out of the pocket each time setting up the bootleg pass for either CJ motioning out out wide (Freddy is still the better blocker) to see if defenses counter with a safety or LB to cover him, or your TE can execute a delayed release as Houston did to us.

Respect for the run would setup the easy pass, and you rely less on Fitz having to carry the load and you move him out of the pocket where he seems more comfortable working just one half of the field. Also teams have to respect that if they come off the line too hard and over pursue with Freddy back blocking Firz could just as easily throw a screen or a dump off pass to him where he is dangerous with a little space.

To me, that would be the kind of offense that would play to our current strengths. Instead we currently abandon the run, go empty backfield and every pass rusher starts to pin their ears back and lick their lips having zero concern for the running game.

I agree that Chan is stuck in a bit of a rut with the pass setting up the run, and he would benefit from shelving the pride and doing some self-scouting of his play calling tendancies that have proven somewhat disasterous over the 2nd halves of many of our games. But in the long run I still would like to see what this offense would look like if it had a solid QB who could hit the medium to long passes executing it.

• 3 weeks later...