Election Gameday Thread

fjl2nd

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This election is basically turning into a repudiation of the GOP as a credible alternative

Well, there you go turning up the stupid.

If someone would go true fiscally responsible small government and shake off the religious right, they could build a sizable coalition.

If someone would go true fiscally responsible small government and shake off the religious right, they could build a sizable coalition.

I'd be in yesterday.

I think that likely represents a larger proportion of the US than any other combination of positions and I simply cannot figure out why nobody has taken up that mantle

I'd be in yesterday.

I think that likely represents a larger proportion of the US than any other combination of positions and I simply cannot figure out why nobody has taken up that mantle

Because the problem always lies in what you cut to get small.

I really hope this is true, but I just don't see it. I know a lot of otherwise intelligent people that vote straight Dem. And those people are fond of saying "I'd vote for a Republican if..." but the only end of that sentence that makes it true is "he were a Democrat". Failed Dem prez v the most moderate Republican you could find, & they vote D.

And an ever increasing % of our electorate votes according to their race or genitalia rather than reason.

Edited by Rob's House

While I don't believe Romney will win, all this smack talk was just like the Bush elections... Just let the election unfold before you beat your chests.

No beating chests here. I just think that the inconsistency in the rhetoric leading up to today is interesting - and that is based on what is known (PA, WI).

And, as you know, I HATE Mitt Romney (I've been calling him "despicable" for 8 months).

So this is laugh out loud funny.

I'd be in yesterday.

I agree but it would require a shift in strategy that would cost a major party at least a couple of election cycles and neither is willing to do that. The best hope is the Republicans ****-canning the religious nuts once and for all and getting on board with common sense vis a vis abortion, gay rights, etc. and then attracting moderate voters who aren't really on board with the Democrats desire to have half the country on welfare and/or in labor unions.

I really hope this is true, but I just don't see it. I know a lot of otherwise intelligent people that vote straight Dem. And those people are fond of saying "I'd vote for a Republican if..." but the only end of that sentence that makes it true is "he were a Democrat". Failed Dem prez v the most moderate Republican you could find, & they vote D.

And an ever increasing % of our electorate votes according to their race or genitalia rather than reason.

...they field a competent candidate who isn't a degenerate liar (because Romney is a despicable person), make efforts to attract minority folks, stop demagoguing social welfare issues, and make a commitment to building upon the Affordable Care Act so that we can address the healthcare crises in a meaningful way.

"Obama ain't winning FL." OCinBuffalo.

I was way wrong...in fact I don't see how Romney wins it at this point...unless this one county drops 50k votes for him.

But, it's so close...I am almost certain that we will have to go through recount hell.

And usually it's some ridiculous strawman like "overturning abortion".

People cling to their politics like they are guns and religion. It's the nature of the beast.

And usually it's some ridiculous strawman like "overturning abortion".

People cling to their politics like they are guns and religion. It's the nature of the beast.

Not necessarily. GOP needs to be more ideologically tolerant. That doesn't mean folding on it's core values, but it does mean they need to be more expansive and accepting of diversity.

GOP platform has a lot to offer folks - black, white, and brown folks; ideologically centrist folks; young folks; lower income and up and coming folks. But you know what they say about first impressions...

And those stalwarts of republican traditionalism, it's time for them to go. They're an albatross around the neck of GOP efforts towards expansion and inclusion.

Tim Kaine wins in VA.

Edited by Juror#8

if romney had started moderate and remained moderate rather than starting far right and turning moderate the last 2 weeks he would have done better. still has a slim chance as it is.