Election Gameday Thread

fjl2nd

Not necessarily. GOP needs to be more ideologically tolerant.

The implication is that the Democrats are and that is complete horseshit. Neither are tolerant of anything different from their platforms - anyone who disagrees is drinking their own Kool-Aid.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was way wrong...in fact I don't see how Romney wins it at this point...unless this one county drops 50k votes for him.

But, it's so close...I am almost certain that we will have to go through recount hell.

Well, Santa Rosa county just did in fact drop 37k votes for Romney...so...:blink:. However, Miami is still looking bad. Given that? It's going to be less than .5% difference...which means automatic recount...and here we go again. :wallbash:

The implication is that the Democrats are and that is complete horseshit. Neither are tolerant of anything different from their platforms - anyone who disagrees is drinking their own Kool-Aid.

Which is how they want it. Easier to control a populace that's at one another's throats than one that's in harmony.

if romney had started moderate and remained moderate rather than starting far right and turning moderate the last 2 weeks he would have done better. still has a slim chance as it is.

This statement lacks any connection to reality. A moderate Romney doesn't get past the primaries.

The bottom line is Romney was never a compelling candidate. He is the GOP's version of John Kerry.

Mitt Romney wins NC

This statement lacks any connection to reality. A moderate Romney doesn't get past the primaries.

The bottom line is Romney was never a compelling candidate. He is the GOP's version of John Kerry.

+1,000,000

I've been saying that since the primaries.

Not necessarily. GOP needs to be more ideologically tolerant. That doesn't mean folding on it's core values, but it does mean they need to be more expansive and accepting of diversity.

GOP platform has a lot to offer folks - black, white, and brown folks; ideologically centrist folks; young folks; lower income and up and coming folks. But you know what they say about first impressions...

And those stalwarts of republican traditionalism, it's time for them to go. They're an albatross around the neck of GOP efforts towards expansion and inclusion.

You've got a lot of the usual buzz words in there, but I don't really know what that's supposed to mean in this context. What 'diversity' is not accepted by the GOP? It seems to me most of those 'first impressions' you're refering to are basically lies or old sterotypes that continue to be perpetuated by political opponents. There is little other than outright hostility directed at the party from many large minority groups, so what are they supposed to do with that?

Example: How was Romney treated when he spoke to the NAACP this year? After he spoke, did the NAACP President tell the media he appreciated Romney expressing his opinions or did he publically rip Romney?

Fair enough. But a gun owning, pro second amendment Dem can get the nomination; the opposite is not true for Republicans.

A Dem who is personally against abortion (but not against it as a matter of policy) can get the nomination; the opposite is not true for Republicans.

I don't think that a black candidate NOW would get the GOP nomination. I don't think that a gay candidate would be supported by the GOP.

I could go on and on...

These little differences suggest that the Dems are a more ideologically tolerant party.

GOP needs to consider being attractive beyond it's current demographic base.

You've got a lot of the usual buzz words in there, but I don't really know what that's supposed to mean in this context. What 'diversity' is not accepted by the GOP? It seems to me most of those 'first impressions' you're refering to are basically lies or old sterotypes that continue to be perpetuated by political opponents. There is little other than outright hostility directed at the party from many large minority groups, so what are they supposed to do with that?

Example: How was Romney treated when he spoke to the NAACP this year? After he spoke, did the NAACP President tell the media he appreciated Romney expressing his opinions or did he publically rip Romney?

He was booed. I commend him for going.

Look at my post# 190 for the answers to your other questions.

Obama wins OHIO and will be re-elected.

Congrats Barak Obama. You're a good man. Do a good job for us over the next 4 years.

Edited by Juror#8

Fair enough. But a gun owning, pro second amendment Dem can get the nomination; the opposite is not true for Republicans.

A Dem who is personally against abortion (but not against it as a matter of policy) can get the nomination; the opposite is not true for Republicans.

I don't think that a black candidate NOW would get the GOP nomination. I don't think that a gay candidate would be supported by the GOP.

I could go on and on...

These little differences suggest that the Dems are a more ideologically tolerant party.

Candidate for what?

I could go on and on...

I agree with this mostly. I don't know if tolerant is the right word though. I don't remember most Democrats being tolerant about most things. I think it comes down to the candidate themselves, and if the can explain their..."extra-party"? position.

But, the GOP has to realize that the national view on a lot of things ain't the same.

But, I don't think that this is that difficult. All you really have to do is focus on liberty. If you support things that constrict liberty in one area, you have a hard time talking about it in another.

If anything, it's as you say: some conservative leadership needs to be retired. It's not like there's nobody on the bench who can come in and start.