Gailey coaches like he knows how limited the talent is

BisonMan

I've seen a lot of sniping about Chan Gailey as a head coach around here. Publicly, Gailey is often complimentary of his players even when they are obviously below par (see: Ryan Fitzpatrick). I guess I would do the same thing publicly if I were in his shoes. What's the point of throwing your QB, CB, LB, DE (holy crap this list is getting long!) under the bus?

The truth is that it appears Gailey knows how poor the talent on this team is and he's trying to coach around it as best he can. Jerry Sullivan wrote an article today the slammed Gailey for allowing defenses to determine what his offense would do. I think Gailey is doing that too but he's right to. This team has ZERO ability to "impose its will" on defenses determined to either stop the run or pass. The Bills just don't have the horses to run that way. The same goes for the defensive unit.

As we look at the various segments of our offense and defense, it becomes pretty clear. Here's my opinion on the talent on each unit and whether or not they are above, on par or below average with the rest of the NFL:

Offensive Line: On par with the potential for being Above Average

Quarterback: Below Average

Running Back: Above Average

Receivers (including TE): Below Average (perhaps way below)

Defensive Line: On par or maybe Above Average

Linebackers: Way Below Average

Secondary: Below Average

So, we have one segment (RBs) that is above average vs. the rest of the NFL. Two that are on par and four (4) that are below average. Perhaps Buddy Nix is at fault for this but given that the situation was even worse 3 years ago, it's hard for me to ask for his head at this point. Every team has draft picks that are busts but over a 5 year period, you get the sense of whether they are doing a good job in the draft and free agency or not.

In any case, I don't think this situation is Gailey's fault but he's certainly taking a lot of arrows for all of those guys on the field.

I think QB play should be rated way below average. Rarely, if any, does Fitz make plays or extend plays or make throws. He is benefiting from the scheme Gailey has created to maximize the benefits and minimize the mistakes.

I agree that Chan is handcuffed by his pitiful QB, but that doesn't mean you should be out-schemed by the opposition's DC when you had two weeks to prepare, or that you should panic when Wade throws the run blitz at you in the first series of the game. Chan is slipping badly, along with his players. His offense used to be one of our strengths. But again, I do agree that with Fitpatrick as QB about all you can do is hand off.

It makes sense to pass the ball if the other team is committed to taking away the run. Our problem is that we could not make the Texans pay for daring us to pass -- whether it was because of our limited QB, the Texans' pass rush, our WRs (especially with Stevie dinged), or all of the above.

There is only so much a coach can do with limited talent when it comes to scheming. That's not a defense of Gailey or Wanny. It's a simple fact. It's no secret that defenses know what we CAN'T do and that's why they dare us to do it. Until we get a QB that makes teams defend the ENTIRE field (and I don't just mean vertically), Chan will be quite limited. Until we get wideouts other than SJ that can create their own space more often than not, Chan has to continue to try to manufacture that space by spreading defenses out.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing more double TE power sets just to keep teams honest when it comes to running the ball. Even if isn't successful most of the time, defenses will know what it's like to get punched in the mouth now and then.

GO BILLS!!!

If he's so aware of the limited talent, why does he continue to place the ball in Fitzpatrick's hands? He has two of the most dangerous weapons possible in Jackson and Spiller, yet yesterday he again tried to squeeze blood from the stone that was Fitzpatrick. I don't buy that he's coaching based on talent. He's coaching in a way that reflects his pass-first, run-after[thought] mindset. And is isn't working.

I've seen a lot of sniping about Chan Gailey as a head coach around here. Publicly, Gailey is often complimentary of his players even when they are obviously below par (see: Ryan Fitzpatrick). I guess I would do the same thing publicly if I were in his shoes. What's the point of throwing your QB, CB, LB, DE (holy crap this list is getting long!) under the bus?

The truth is that it appears Gailey knows how poor the talent on this team is and he's trying to coach around it as best he can. Jerry Sullivan wrote an article today the slammed Gailey for allowing defenses to determine what his offense would do. I think Gailey is doing that too but he's right to. This team has ZERO ability to "impose its will" on defenses determined to either stop the run or pass. The Bills just don't have the horses to run that way. The same goes for the defensive unit.

As we look at the various segments of our offense and defense, it becomes pretty clear. Here's my opinion on the talent on each unit and whether or not they are above, on par or below average with the rest of the NFL:

So, we have one segment (RBs) that is above average vs. the rest of the NFL. Two that are on par and four (4) that are below average. Perhaps Buddy Nix is at fault for this but given that the situation was even worse 3 years ago, it's hard for me to ask for his head at this point. Every team has draft picks that are busts but over a 5 year period, you get the sense of whether they are doing a good job in the draft and free agency or not.

In any case, I don't think this situation is Gailey's fault but he's certainly taking a lot of arrows for all of those guys on the field.

About time fans realize what an amazing job Gailey has done on offense with a bunch of free agents and super low draft choices. Gailey could score in the NFL with a college offense. He's a chess player. Defenses still haven't caught on to that SJ little presnap shift inside with the slant that embarrassed the KC secondary. Texans knew it was coming and it still worked again. That'll get you by against all but the top half a dozen teams until you can draft/acquire some talent. They'll go out and get big 4-3 type LBs and a QB in this draft and FA and that will do it I think.

And now, with a certain $96M contract in place, the opprtunities to get more talent will be limited.

I don't think we've seen the last of MW just yet. That guy can do a lot of damage when motivated and healthy. Anderson comes back this week and Merriman will be back in football shape. O Line is back where it was week 3. Watch out. they are running into a freight train coming off a bye week Sunday, but I think the best this team can do is yet to come.

If he's so aware of the limited talent, why does he continue to place the ball in Fitzpatrick's hands? He has two of the most dangerous weapons possible in Jackson and Spiller, yet yesterday he again tried to squeeze blood from the stone that was Fitzpatrick. I don't buy that he's coaching based on talent. He's coaching in a way that reflects his pass-first, run-after[thought] mindset. And is isn't working.

Texans lined up to stop the run. 7-8 in the box. and their LBs are 260+ . were you watching the game? Gotta throw against it. Can't dictate s__t against 8 in the box.

Texans lined up to stop the run. 7-8 in the box. and their LBs are 260+ . were you watching the game? Gotta throw against it. Can't dictate s__t against 8 in the box.

Yet oddly enough you can watch the game film and see when Wannstedt sunk his safety to get 8 in the box against the Titans, the Titans ran the ball anyway and gouged his defense repeatedly.

The Team is #2 in the NFL averaging a sick 5.3 Yards per carry. That means that offensive line and the RBs are imposing their will on the defense.

The Problem is Gailey has imposed his will on our offense and decided to take the two strengths of the team Offensive line run blocking and the RBs OUT OF THE GAME!

He also coaches scared.

He has punted atleast 3 times when facing a forth down inside the opponents 40! This is unbelievable to happen once, let alone multiple times.

Its a 7-3 game, you have 4th and 2 at your opponents 4. Two yards gives you a 1st and goal at the 2. Knowing your defense is horrible and it is only a matter of time until Arian Foster breaks off a run. You need TDs to win not FGs. You are not playing the Cleveland Browns or Kansas City Chiefs. Show some faith in your Offensive line and star RBs and get the two yards or maybe even the 4 for the TD.

No, he is scared and goes for the FG. 7-6.

Bill Belicheat, Kubiak, or Harbaugh/West would have put their money where their mouths are and taken the chance to take the lead or make the team go 96 yards with 1:45 seconds left in the half.

12 total carries by your best RBs and punting inside your opponents 40 is a demonstration of how not to coach.

I'm not calling for his head but I'm questioning his testicular fortitude.

Scared money don't make money.

Edited by Why So Serious?

yeah. only green part is RB. yet they had 12 carries. genius chan knows how to cripple talent. thats all

I think a lot of folks are overestimating the talent the Bills have on the O-Line. When we spread people out effectively, we run effectively because our line ins't forced to block fast LBs as much. When they put 3 LBs in the box along with a safety against our 3 WR sets, there is little chance a run could work and would likely lose yardage with this line. The problem is still at QB and WR. If the Bills had a talent laden bunch at WR, even Fitzgibbons could hit them with 8 in the box. But with a natural 2nd receiver (Stevie) and two other guys who'd never crack the starting lineup of almost any other team (Jones and Graham) he has no chance. If we had Peyton Manning, he could probably get something out of this WR corp.

The combination we have is deadly...for us. Any chance Nelson comes back this season? I haven't heard boo about him lately.

Edited by BisonMan

yeah. only green part is RB. yet they had 12 carries. genius chan knows how to cripple talent. thats all

:thumbsup: Yup...I am starting to agree with this more and more. In 2010 when the Bills made the controversial Spiller pick, it was justified by saying that Spiller was a pick made for "a couple seasons from now" when, presumably, the offense was a little more automatic. So, late last season, Spiller, mainly because Freddie gets hurt, gets to show that he has transitioned. and is ready to be a force...the way this season started out, Spiller looked like a true superstar...he gets banged up, the offense sputters, and now, he and Jackson are both healthy, yet Spiller barely touches the ball. I know, Spiller is "too small" to be an every down back...and Fred Jackson is an awesome RB. But, here, Chan has his hand picked toy to play with, and he (Chan) is obviously smart enough to know the passing game is somewhat limited...yet he can't come up with more plays to let Spiller do his thing?

There were a couple of games last year, and then last week (Titans game) where I think Gailey contributed as much to the loss as anything, with his stubborn refusal to run the ball, when the team was actually runnig the ball pretty well. It's almost like he doesn't plan on having any luck on running the ball, so when they do run it well, he doesn't recognize it. I forget who they were playing last year, but it was after Jackson was hurt, and CJ was the starter...he had about 8 or 9 runs in the first half for about 60 yards, and only carried the ball twice in the second half...it was anotehr noble, close loss..afterwards Chan said something like "Well, we didn't run the ball as much in the second half, because we weren't getting the kind of production we needed from the running game...." I just remember, for the first time, thinking "WTF is he talking about?"

Against the Titans last week, Jackson and Spiller both averaging 5-7 yards a carry, our offensive genius of a coach gives them 19 carries between them, and has Fitz throw 35 times...it just seems, sometimes, Chan wants to win the way he wants to win, rather than win any way he can. That rediculous Brad Smith pass agaist the Cardinals, when the team should have been trying to run the clock out, just crystalizes it...

For all his corn-pone "I'm just an old fashioned coach who would always prefer to run the ball", he sure seems enamored with putting too much of the game on his limited QB's shoulders. We all know, as I am sure Gailey does too, that the Bills aren't as stocked as some teams on offense...but I also think they are not as bad as they are made to look either.

Our OLine is a good unit but Houston's front seven is one of the best in the league, even without Cushing. NOBODY imposes their will on that group. Wade had a great plan and the great players to execute it. He simply dared us to beat them with what he knows we can't do. This is nothing new.

GO BILLS!!!

If it is a basketball team with a dominant center and no outside shooting capability, the defense plays a sagging zone and dares the opponent to beat them from the outside. It is the same thing here. The defense knows that Fitz and this dismal receiving corp can't hurt them passing, so they take away the only thing that the Bills could do to beat them (run game).

So, the secret to success with a decent line, top RBs and a below average QB is to throw the ball?