Gailey coaches like he knows how limited the talent is

BisonMan

I've seen a lot of sniping about Chan Gailey as a head coach around here. Publicly, Gailey is often complimentary of his players even when they are obviously below par (see: Ryan Fitzpatrick). I guess I would do the same thing publicly if I were in his shoes. What's the point of throwing your QB, CB, LB, DE (holy crap this list is getting long!) under the bus?

The truth is that it appears Gailey knows how poor the talent on this team is and he's trying to coach around it as best he can. Jerry Sullivan wrote an article today the slammed Gailey for allowing defenses to determine what his offense would do. I think Gailey is doing that too but he's right to. This team has ZERO ability to "impose its will" on defenses determined to either stop the run or pass. The Bills just don't have the horses to run that way. The same goes for the defensive unit.

As we look at the various segments of our offense and defense, it becomes pretty clear. Here's my opinion on the talent on each unit and whether or not they are above, on par or below average with the rest of the NFL:

Offensive Line: On par with the potential for being Above Average

Quarterback: Below Average

Running Back: Above Average

Receivers (including TE): Below Average (perhaps way below)

Defensive Line: On par or maybe Above Average

Linebackers: Way Below Average

Secondary: Below Average

So, we have one segment (RBs) that is above average vs. the rest of the NFL. Two that are on par and four (4) that are below average. Perhaps Buddy Nix is at fault for this but given that the situation was even worse 3 years ago, it's hard for me to ask for his head at this point. Every team has draft picks that are busts but over a 5 year period, you get the sense of whether they are doing a good job in the draft and free agency or not.

In any case, I don't think this situation is Gailey's fault but he's certainly taking a lot of arrows for all of those guys on the field.

Whoa partner...could not disagree with you more. yes, the talent is not 100%... but the coaches job is to motivate, to stimulate to get "A" performance out of "C" players. Gailey has resigned. He has quit this team. He is like General McClellan in the civil war. Built a great war machine but was afraid to use it. As head coach he needs to challenge players, not accept mediocrity. It has always been my experience that if you challenge people, more often than not, they will exceed your initial expectations. Gailey is a gloomy gus.... expecting failure and planning for it as well. He is the worst head coach we have had in over 10 years. His record shows it...

So, the secret to success with a decent line, top RBs and a below average QB is to throw the ball?

3 years of building a team and the identity of the offense is "do whatever it is that the defense dictates we should." The defenses identity is similarly, "just hope the D-line does something extraordinary."

"Gailey coaches like he knows how limited the talent is"

Started by BisonMan, Today, 02:27 PM

He Should know. After all, he's the one limiting it.

I'm kind-of regretting all the s#!t I talked about Irsay in the offseason. I mean yah, he may be a total prick, but you can't knock him as an owner.

To anyone left on this board who still thinks re-builds take five years, I submit to you the 2012 Colts. They absolutely cleaned house, and are playing better than ever before.

Chan Gailey is a horrendous coach, and a TERRIBLE offensive coordinator. He was dead and buried in the NFL until we went and dug his tired @ss up. Stealing a quote from Stephen King's "Pet Sematary" -"Sometimes dead is better".

Losing at this pace is unsustainable. OBD should not be afraid to start over.

3 years of building a team and the identity of the offense is "do whatever it is that the defense dictates we should." The defenses identity is similarly, "just hope the D-line does something extraordinary."

Brilliant!!! That is exactly right (except Gailey has pretty much given up having Fitzpatrick throw semi-long passes). No guts, no desire to impose their will. Nope, that'd be hard.

I don't think we've seen the last of MW just yet. That guy can do a lot of damage when motivated and healthy. Anderson comes back this week and Merriman will be back in football shape. O Line is back where it was week 3. Watch out. they are running into a freight train coming off a bye week Sunday, but I think the best this team can do is yet to come.

Texans lined up to stop the run. 7-8 in the box. and their LBs are 260+ . were you watching the game? Gotta throw against it. Can't dictate s__t against 8 in the box.

Especially if you don't try.

Bison man, i think you have a very valid point. Because it's true enough.

Here's the thing though, and i have considered this for awhile. This past sunday reinforced m worry.

Chan has been overcompensating for what he considers weaknesses. He has got to let the offensive line and RB etc prove themselves to him.

Those guys want to pound the ball. They have shown even when injured they can break amazing plays with enough running reps.

Trust in them Chan,

and then, throw the ball as far and easy as you can on the fly to TJ all by himself.

Just try it. you might like it.

run run run throw run.

Edited by 3rdand12

forget about it. chan is addicted to passing. he wouldn´t run to save his live. and that may be the only chance we have. if he is that way crossing streets too :angry:

But Chan has been quoted more than once.

" It's something we have done. so i know we can do it " so why didnt you Chan ?

He has got the two, both Fred and CJ in the game with a nice split of successful snaps before in other games. Both tossing it or running.

He totally bailed because he was scared of Texans big men in the box. Kubiak gave him a whuppin' and he knows it

Bison man, i think you have a very valid point. Because it's true enough.

Here's the thing though, and i have considered this for awhile. This past sunday reinforced m worry.

Chan has been overcompensating for what he considers weaknesses. He has got to let the offensive line and RB etc prove themselves to him.

Those guys want to pound the ball. They have shown even when injured they can break amazing plays with enough running reps.

Trust in them Chan,

and then, throw the ball as far and easy as you can on the fly to TJ all by himself.

Just try it. you might like it.

run run run throw run.

You make a lot of sense. When it comes to the passing game, I am far more tolerant of conservative play calling where Fitz is concerned. But when it comes to the running game, you have to keep swinging the hammer at them. If Chan would have stayed balanced and kept that wildcat garbage on the shelf, I am confidant that the final 2 minutes of that game could have been exciting. The irony is that Chan is the one that seems to lack the mental toughness to run the ball consistently.

You make a lot of sense. When it comes to the passing game, I am far more tolerant of conservative play calling where Fitz is concerned. But when it comes to the running game, you have to keep swinging the hammer at them. If Chan would have stayed balanced and kept that wildcat garbage on the shelf, I am confidant that the final 2 minutes of that game could have been exciting. The irony is that Chan is the one that seems to lack the mental toughness to run the ball consistently.

that is my concern.