Dreadful Wildcat

Santana

I know one thing that's for sure, I simply never want to see the Bills run the wildcat again. I mean I do believe that we have the personnel to run it but the way Gailey runs it and the timing of calling for the package is absolutely awful. No one's fooled by it, he's attempted a pass once out of it since he's implicated it and it just breaks up the rhythm of the offense. Especially in the redzone, I mean I just think unless Chan is going to make it more advanced and do more out of the package then he shouldn't run it at all. It's only going to work if you devote a decent portion of your offensive play calling to it. What are your thoughts?

GO BILLS!!!

I know one thing that's for sure, I simply never want to see the Bills run the wildcat again. I mean I do believe that we have the personnel to run it but the way Gailey runs it and the timing of calling for the package is absolutely awful. No one's fooled by it, he's attempted a pass once out of it since he's implicated it and it just breaks up the rhythm of the offense. Especially in the redzone, I mean I just think unless Chan is going to make it more advanced and do more out of the package then he shouldn't run it at all. It's only going to work if you devote a decent portion of your offensive play calling to it. What are your thoughts?

GO BILLS!!!

It's not supposed to fool anyone. It's a numbers game.

alright?

You said no ones fooled by it. It's not a trick play. It's a zone read, spread option but keeping the hits off your qb, essentially. That's all I was saying. You get an extra body in the play giving you an advantage on the number of players on the O.

Whether effective is a fair talk, but I was pointing out its not supposed to fool anyone, really.

GO BILLS!!!

I am pretty done with it too... it is just embarassing...every week they try it, it becomes a little less effective....2nd and long in the red-zone? Okay, now make that 3rd and long! :wallbash: Just dumb.

Btw- you are incorrect about one thing...the Bills, since Gailey introduced the wild-cat to the Bills, I believe, have attempted two passes...both were picked off...

Edited by Buftex

You get an extra body in the play giving you an advantage on the number of players on the O

Not really considering Fitz lines up as a WR. It's gaining a player that never throws the ball to play QB am putting a QB who normally doesn't run or block or play WR out of position as well. So essentially your handicapping yourself.

The WildCRAP doesn't work. It did once effectively enough to beat a team that had clue it was coming because no one had ever seen it before. Since then all the defenses in the NFL do is put men into the box and dare the RB/WE/3rd string QB to throw the ball. It's a joke.

You said no ones fooled by it. It's not a trick play. It's a zone read, spread option but keeping the hits off your qb, essentially. That's all I was saying. You get an extra body in the play giving you an advantage on the number of players on the O.

Whether effective is a fair talk, but I was pointing out its not supposed to fool anyone, really.

Your dead right, I kinda used the wrong verbage by saying fooled but I still just find it to be completely inaffective

Edited by Lincoln Osiris

Not really considering Fitz lines up as a WR. It's gaining a player that never throws the ball to play QB am putting a QB who normally doesn't run or block or play WR out of position as well. So essentially your handicapping yourself.

The WildCRAP doesn't work. It did once effectively enough to beat a team that had clue it was coming because no one had ever seen it before. Since then all the defenses in the NFL do is put men into the box and dare the RB/WE/3rd string QB to throw the ball. It's a joke.

Which is a fair commentary - and why you see guys like tebow and kaepernick running it elsewhere, and us trying to give smith qb reps, even though he's clearly not a real qb (no matter how many people cry about 4 qbs).

It can be effective. League wide it easily is still effective. Heck, Denver made it to the divisional round of the playoffs essentially running it full time. What we do has shown flashes, but really hasn't been used too well.

Your dead right, I kinda used the wrong verbage by saying fooled but I still just find it to be completely inaffective

That's fair enough, and I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, but I do think that's an important distinction when diving into the debate.

Which is a fair commentary - and why you see guys like tebow and kaepernick running it elsewhere, and us trying to give smith qb reps, even though he's clearly not a real qb (no matter how many people cry about 4 qbs).

It can be effective. League wide it easily is still effective. Heck, Denver made it to the divisional round of the playoffs essentially running it full time. What we do has shown flashes, but really hasn't been used too well.

Kaepernick was considered a poor mans Cam Newton. He's hardly a bad QB. Tebow wasn't running a Wildcat in Denver. They just ran it a lot out of normal formations.

Again, the difference is the wildcat has at least 2 players out of position and one of them is supposed to be acting as the most important position on the field. At the end of the day, Tebow, as bad as he is as a QB, he was a successful QB for years in college. Won National Championships, and Heisman Trophies with a team that probably had no business doing what it did. In the end, he might be the best QB in history suited to run the "option" offense.

Edit: You may have been agreeing with me and I just made the same point. Either way, my argument either confirms what you say or argues with your comments. In the end, it takes a special player to make these plays and Brad Smith is not it.

Edited by mrags

GO BILLS!!!

There was a lot of heavy drinking, and noise in the cave during the game yesterday. But, I thought even one of the announcers mentioned how silly and useless the wildcat has evolved to?

Also, let's not forget to call out the QB coach David Lee, the guy who uh, reclaimed what's his name. He also was supposed to take Gailey's wildcat to new heights. or so i read here during the offseason. I'm still waiting for those clowns to trade for Tebow. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

There was a lot of heavy drinking, and noise in the cave during the game yesterday. But, I thought even one of the announcers mentioned how silly and useless the wildcat has evolved to?

Also, let's not forget to call out the QB coach David Lee, the guy who uh, reclaimed what's his name. He also was supposed to take Gailey's wildcat to new heights. or so i read here during the offseason. I'm still waiting for those clowns to trade for Tebow. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

The only thing that would be more comical than trading for Tebow would be to not use him at all. Just like Brad Smith and TJax.

We should have a functional offensive playbook that utilizes all (or at least most) of the field before our mad genius of a coach starts implementing gimmicks and wrinkles like the wildcat and using roster spots to fill the formation.

Everything is assbackward as usual at OBD.

Brad Smith is probably the most under-utilized player on the team. Theres like so many things wrong with how we use him:

1 - Hes back there by himself, so he already doesnt have anyone to pitch to - The option needs OPTIONS... if its a speed option he needs someone back there so they cant just pack the box on him

2 - They rarely have spiller or jackson motion across, so theres no confusion on whos getting the ball or where its going

3 - We keep fitz on the field for some reason, even though we could sub him out for an actual receiver - or extra blockers

4 - We never put him in the backfield WITH fitz, which can cause some confusion as well

5 - Havent done one reverse with him all year... That ALSO can cause confusion since if its designed correctly we can have open receivers downfield (that bengals one is a great example) - not to mention hes fast and shifty - get him the ball in space!

6 - Teach the guy to punt... considering we punt from the 35 in OT (and in their territory frequently), we may as well have a guy who can cause them to maybe burn a Timeout or save ourselves a big return

7 - How about a creative "Music City Miracle" Type of return play?

Just some of my thoughts about our boring vanilla offense... The worst part is, I feel like theyve worked on these things but they never do them