1st Round QBs Buffalo Passed on since 2000

1B4IDie

Clearly this team needs to find a QB that can lead the Bills out of this decade plus long playoff drought.

Fitz looks like a solid backup QB but isn't a "Franchise QB." My definition of a Franchise QB is a QB that CONSISTENTLY finds ways to lead his franchise to wins that without that QB playing would be losses.

In the 13 drafts since the last playoff appearance how could they have never used the first pick they had in the first round for a QB? How could they have only taken 1 QB in that time period and done it at the high cost of a trade (2004 2nd {Julius Jones}, 2004 5th {Sean Ryan TE}, 2005 1st {Marcus Spears})?

I originally thought I would be upset by all the misses. That is not the case. It appears that Buffalo is cursed.

Here is a list of the 11 "1st round" QBs from 2000-2012 that were available when the Buffalo Bills picked in the first round. *

Year Pick Team Player

2004 22 Buffalo Bills J. P. Losman

2006 10 Arizona Cardinals Matt Leinart

2006 11 Denver Broncos Jay Cutler†

2007 22 Cleveland Browns Brady Quinn

2008 18 Baltimore Ravens Joe Flacco

2009 17 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Josh Freeman

2010 25 Denver Broncos Tim Tebow

2011 8 Tennessee Titans Jake Locker

2011 10 Jacksonville Jaguars Blaine Gabbert

2011 12 Minnesota Vikings Christian Ponder

2012 22 Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden

What is strange is from 2000-2004 the Bills selected the only "1st round"; QB that was actually available when they picked. Yes JP Lossman was a debatable pick. Yes the fact that a QB wasn't drafted in the first round shouldn't immediately remove him from the list of missed QBs i.e. Drew Brees, 2001 #32 pick by the San Diego Chargers or Andrew Dalton, 2011 #35 pick by the Cincinnati Bengals. However I am going to limit this conversation to QBs that were actually drafted in the 1st round.

So looking at the list are there any QBs you would actually want on the Bills'; roster?

Flacco over McKelvin now seems like a no-brainer today (you can also remove the "Flacco over" part of the sentence and it still works.) 2008 was the middle of a JP Lossman vs Trent Edwards QB battle. Would throwing another QB in the mix be a smart thing? Especially one from the QB factory of the Delaware Blue Hens?

I'm personally a big Josh Freeman fan. I would love him in Red, White, and Buffalo Bills' Blue. However, go back in time to the year after the 2009 fast start. Trent Edwards looked like a QB, he got his bell rung in Arizona but at the time with an off seasons' rest, you could expect he could get back to where he was in the fast start. Clearly Trent edwards never was able to recapture that high level of performance on the field. The team needed sacks and Brian Orakpo was the no brainer pick. (Let’s just leave the completely indefensible, recklessly stupid Maybin pick conversation to the side.)

2010 Tim Tebow (That is all I will say about that.)

2011 & 2012 the Rookie Salary pool changes everything about drafting a QB in the first round. A team is no longer tied to the Huuuuuuuuuge salary that busts like Jamarcus Russell got or borderline QBs like Sam Bradford. You can swing and miss on a QB with first overall pick and it’s easier to cut bait in a shorter time if need be, obviously you don’t want to do that but it doesn't set your franchise back like it once did. Now you’re seeing an influx of the “second tier” QBs go in the first round. I contend that Ponder, and Weeden would be 2nd or 3rd round guys prior to the rookie salary pool.

Either way I’m not too upset with Dareus over the QBs available.

Stephone Gilmore over Weeden? After the fast start in 2011 and the illusion of Fitzpatrick prior to the alleged cracked ribs, it wasn't exactly a no brainer pick (cue Buffalo Barbarian.) To me I can justify passing on Weeden at #10 overall and hopping he may drop to the second round.

So there you have it. Is there really a QB the Buffalo Bills could have picked when they were up to pick in the first round? It’s not an open and shut case of GM ineptitude as I originally thought. It must be that the Buffalo Bills are just cursed.

*The "what if" of Aaron Rodgers. So in 2003 the Bills had the statuesque Bledsoe in house, and Peerless Price left for Big Money in Atlanta and the illustrious Bobby Shaw took his place. Bledsoe was under contract for 2004 but clearly the end was near. I think everyone believes Roethlisberger was the target. (Another side bar Tommy Maddox had a decent season in 2003 who thought the Steelers were looking for a QB?) Roethlisberger went off the board two picks before the Bills.

So what does Tom Donahoe do? Play it cool and wait for the #43 pick. JP Lossman likely wouldn't be there and you didn't have much on paper after that (debatably JP Lossman wasn't there on paper either but that’s another story.) A little known QB from UVA looked semi interesting, Matt Schuab. You had Krenzel and Sorgi but surely none of them were Franchise QBs worthy of a second round pick. The possible prospects for the 2005 QBs didn’t look strong at that point time. Donahoe made a bold move, he liked to play Fantasy Football in real life with the Bills; wheeling and dealing draft picks. So he made a bold move and traded a 1st in 2005 for a chance at JP Lossman.

If he would have played it cool Aaron Rodgers would have been there in 2005. There is no way to known what could have been if Donahoe didn't pull the trigger on the trade and stay patiently at the #43 overall pick in 2004. Aaron Rodgers may have needed the years to marinate behind Favre to become the Aaron Rodgers we know today. Or maybe not. The Bills are cursed

Well I’m glad I got that off my chest. I feel a little better about the lack of QB play for the Bills over the last 13 years. When will we ever get our guy? Maybe Tyler Wilson in 2013?

http://espn.go.com/c...42/tyler-wilson (He talks kinda like Buddy.)

QBs Drafted from 2000-2012 in the first round:

I have a table but i can't figure out how to post it.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesnt matter who is playing QB. Its the obvious thing to do. Blame the QB. When this team isnt giving up 35-50 points a game then I will blame the QB. In fact the 3 games that the defense didnt allow an obsurd amount of points we actually won. Is Fitzpatrick going to be a hall of famer and multi time pro bowler? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Is Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Josh Freeman, Brandon Weeden, Matt Schaub, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Alex Smith or Russell Wilson??? Absolutely not. But all of them have proven they can win games in the NFL with the right system or gameplan. Lets focus on our problems here. WE HAVE NO DEFENSE!

This also tells me make sure to look with more scrutiny in the second round like Andy Dalton (a 4 yr starter with a pro style offense and numbers off the chart). We chose the wrong rifle, not the Amish rifle (he needs to have his scope fixed as he is way off), but the Red Rifle.

This is just one example. I like Russell Wilson as well. There are more examples over the last decade. Thank god Buddy is finally calling out Fitz as he keeps our defense on the field way too long.

Clearly this team needs to find a QB that can lead the Bills out of this decade plus long playoff drought.

Fitz looks like a solid backup QB but isn't a "Franchise QB." My definition of a Franchise QB is a QB that CONSISTENTLY finds ways to lead his franchise to wins that without that QB playing would be losses.

In the 13 drafts since the last playoff appearance how could they have never used the first pick they had in the first round for a QB? How could they have only taken 1 QB in that time period and done it at the high cost of a trade (2004 2nd {Julius Jones}, 2004 5th {Sean Ryan TE}, 2005 1st {Marcus Spears})?

I originally thought I would be upset by all the misses. That is not the case. It appears that Buffalo is cursed.

Here is a list of the 11 "1st round" QBs from 2000-2012 that were available when the Buffalo Bills picked in the first round. *

Year Pick Team Player

What is strange is from 2000-2004 the Bills selected the only "1st round"; QB that was actually available when they picked. Yes JP Lossman was a debatable pick. Yes the fact that a QB wasn't drafted in the first round shouldn't immediately remove him from the list of missed QBs i.e. Drew Brees, 2001 #32 pick by the San Diego Chargers or Andrew Dalton, 2011 #35 pick by the Cincinnati Bengals. However I am going to limit this conversation to QBs that were actually drafted in the 1st round.

So looking at the list are there any QBs you would actually want on the Bills'; roster?

Flacco over McKelvin now seems like a no-brainer today (you can also remove the "Flacco over" part of the sentence and it still works.) 2008 was the middle of a JP Lossman vs Trent Edwards QB battle. Would throwing another QB in the mix be a smart thing? Especially one from the QB factory of the Delaware Blue Hens?

I'm personally a big Josh Freeman fan. I would love him in Red, White, and Buffalo Bills' Blue. However, go back in time to the year after the 2009 fast start. Trent Edwards looked like a QB, he got his bell rung in Arizona but at the time with an off seasons' rest, you could expect he could get back to where he was in the fast start. Clearly Trent edwards never was able to recapture that high level of performance on the field. The team needed sacks and Brian Orakpo was the no brainer pick. (Let’s just leave the completely indefensible, recklessly stupid Maybin pick conversation to the side.)

2011 & 2012 the Rookie Salary pool changes everything about drafting a QB in the first round. A team is no longer tied to the Huuuuuuuuuge salary that busts like Jamarcus Russell got or borderline QBs like Sam Bradford. You can swing and miss on a QB with first overall pick and it’s easier to cut bait in a shorter time if need be, obviously you don’t want to do that but it doesn't set your franchise back like it once did. Now you’re seeing an influx of the “second tier” QBs go in the first round. I contend that Ponder, and Weeden would be 2nd or 3rd round guys prior to the rookie salary pool.

Stephone Gilmore over Weeden? After the fast start in 2011 and the illusion of Fitzpatrick prior to the alleged cracked ribs, it wasn't exactly a no brainer pick (cue Buffalo Barbarian.) To me I can justify passing on Weeden at #10 overall and hopping he may drop to the second round.

So there you have it. Is there really a QB the Buffalo Bills could have picked when they were up to pick in the first round? It’s not an open and shut case of GM ineptitude as I originally thought. It must be that the Buffalo Bills are just cursed.

*The "what if" of Aaron Rodgers. So in 2003 the Bills had the statuesque Bledsoe in house, and Peerless Price left for Big Money in Atlanta and the illustrious Bobby Shaw took his place. Bledsoe was under contract for 2004 but clearly the end was near. I think everyone believes Roethlisberger was the target. (Another side bar Tommy Maddox had a decent season in 2003 who thought the Steelers were looking for a QB?) Roethlisberger went off the board two picks before the Bills.

So what does Tom Donahoe do? Play it cool and wait for the #43 pick. JP Lossman likely wouldn't be there and you didn't have much on paper after that (debatably JP Lossman wasn't there on paper either but that’s another story.) A little known QB from UVA looked semi interesting, Matt Schuab. You had Krenzel and Sorgi but surely none of them were Franchise QBs worthy of a second round pick. The possible prospects for the 2005 QBs didn’t look strong at that point time. Donahoe made a bold move, he liked to play Fantasy Football in real life with the Bills; wheeling and dealing draft picks. So he made a bold move and traded a 1st in 2005 for a chance at JP Lossman.

If he would have played it cool Aaron Rodgers would have been there in 2005. There is no way to known what could have been if Donahoe didn't pull the trigger on the trade and stay patiently at the #43 overall pick in 2004. Aaron Rodgers may have needed the years to marinate behind Favre to become the Aaron Rodgers we know today. Or maybe not. The Bills are cursed

Well I’m glad I got that off my chest. I feel a little better about the lack of QB play for the Bills over the last 13 years. When will we ever get our guy? Maybe Tyler Wilson in 2013?

So what you're saying is: "this is not an exact science," and really, just about any QB pick--with the notable exceptions like Luck and RG3 this year (they are more the exception than the rule)--is pretty much a crap shoot. Right?

Year Pick Team Player

Great post. I say we go get a proven guy with a few years left in the tank. Romo, , somebody with better physical skills and locker room presence than Fitz, who I think is really good but has some physical limitations that defenses scheme around.

So what you're saying is: "this is not an exact science," and really, just about any QB pick--with the notable exceptions like Luck and RG3 this year (they are more the exception than the rule)--is pretty much a crap shoot. Right?

Dats what he is saying , and he is right, and we proved it with Losman.

Thank god Buddy is finally calling out Fitz as he keeps our defense on the field way too long.

You can't be serious? If we had any play out of our defense, we'd be leading the AFC East right now--just a little contribution from them against NE and Tenn., just a little bit, that's all.

The Bills problem is not on the Offensive side of the ball!

OP -

it's a sisyphean effort to try to convince people around here that QB is important

the majority of this board can't admit that QB matters, fitz is bad, wilson is bad, buddy is bad, chan is bad, etc.

but this is not really a message board where knowledgeable NFL fans post

Barkley will be long gone by the time we pick. Forget about that one.

Not so sure about that. Look at our schedule. Teams that might finish ahead of us in draft like Panthers , rams and maybe even jags won't be taking QB. If its not Barkley someone else desirable should be there this year for us if we continue on the current trajectory, where I'm only seeing another couple wins.

Year Pick Team Player

Year Pick Team Player

The truth of the matter is that the main organizational failure isn't only about drafting a franchise qb so much as it is about poor drafting in general, regardless of positions. There is something systemically wrong when a team on a long term basis (generation) struggles to compete within a league designed for parity.

The problem isn't about individual picks; the central problem is the staff making the picks. Looking back over the past 15 years the organization has been in a state of chaos, constant organizational change and little stability.Compare that instability to the stability of the Steelers, Giants, Pats, Ravens and Packers,

Having an incompetent owner who is in his 90s is not very encouraging. In his more than half century of ownership the majority of time his organization (staffing) has been known more for its mediocrity than its excellence. It starts at the top and the predictable results come from his personal hires.

Edited by JohnC

That goes without saying.

Every statistical study of the NFL draft has come to the conclusion that each pick on its own is a 50/50 coin toss. There is no advantage to picking 1st over 32nd as fas as finding a successful prospect goes.

They only difference is the 1st pick has 31 more options of the 1000s of College Prospects.

That doesn't mean you sit around with the coin up your arse.

Edited by Why So Serious?