Dolphin avoids jail time

NoSaint

Can't say I didn't chuckle a little picturing a teenager yelling at an nfl player from the safety of a locked apartment

Then likely wetting himself when said player breaks down the door to beat him down.

Not smart at all on the players part but.... Can you imagine the look on the kids face as they start beating on the door? Dear lord. Amazing misi avoided jail time!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/19/dolphins-koa-misi-pleads-no-contest-to-felony-battery-avoids-jail/

Edited by NoSaint

Can't say I didn't chuckle a little picturing a teenager yelling at an nfl player from the safety of a locked apartment

Then likely wetting himself when said player breaks down the door to beat him down.

Not smart at all on the players part but.... Can you imagine the look on the kids face as they start beating on the door? Dear lord. Amazing misi avoided jail time!

http://profootballta...ry-avoids-jail/

LMFAO. Koa Misi has made a better human being out of that young man, he should be applauded. Next time he feels the urge to shout expletives at passersby he'll think at least one more time before he does. :thumbsup:

LMFAO. Koa Misi has made a better human being out of that young man, he should be applauded. Next time he feels the urge to shout expletives at passersby he'll think at least one more time before he does. :thumbsup:

The kid has a fractured eye socket.Yeah, the fin should be applauded. Sure. I'm certain he couldn't have made his point with less force.

The kid has a fractured eye socket.Yeah, the fin should be applauded. Sure. I'm certain he couldn't have made his point with less force.

He definitely crossed the line. I felt bad laughing cause ultimately it was a serious offense but..... Other then the resulting injury it was amusing. Too bad he didn't just scare him.

Breaking down the kid's door and screaming would've sufficed. Punching him is where he went from hero to punk...

Exactly. At the point in which he confronted the heckler face to face would have been a good time to change tacks.

http://profootballta...ry-avoids-jail/

Serves the kid right, You want be a smart ass you get your ass beat. Being 19 he thinks he's some bad ass and can take on the world , it was good for him to have his view of himself readjusted :thumbsup: . I think every teenager should have this procedure ;)

Wow, thats awful. Kid should take Misi for everything he can. Its America, he can say what he pleases, doesn't give misi the right to do what he did. What a Jerk.

And Misi had the right say what he said too.

Wow, thats awful. Kid should take Misi for everything he can. Its America, he can say what he pleases, doesn't give misi the right to do what he did. What a Jerk.

Let me start off with I am not supporting Misi on this, but the first amendment does not give a person the right to say what ever they please.

But the second gives me the right to blow a home invaders head off; which is exactly what would have happened if he kicked my door in.

No one said you didn't have the right to defend your home but as others have pointed out if you want to run your mouth you better be able to defend it w/o a gun.

Also the scenario you propose is interesting and i'm not sure it would be as open and shut as you believe. On one hand he entered your house to assault you. on the other you enticed the incident and he is an unarmed man. That almost sounds premeditated. Would be an interesting case to follow.

Edited by LandShark13

I had a similar incident when I was in college at Canisius. I was walking by one of the dorms with a couple of buddies when a couple of frat boys started yelling crap at us, calling us gay,etc... We counted floors and rooms and figured out which room they were in and went and knocked on their door. They were very scared when we confronted them (I am 6'4" and was pretty big at that time and my friends were a good size too) but we only scared them, we didn't take it to the next level like Misi did. My guess is they learned a lesson and thought twice about yelling things to strangers. (although they are probably Internet tough guys now :) )

No one said you didn't have the right to defend your home but as others have pointed out if you want to run your mouth you better be able to defend it w/o a gun.

Also the scenario you propose is interesting and i'm not sure it would be as open and shut as you believe. On one hand he entered your house to assault you. on the other you enticed the incident and he is an unarmed man. That almost sounds premeditated. Would be an interesting case to follow.

You've got to be kidding me? He breaks your door down to fracture your face over words you said to him?

You've got to be kidding me? He breaks your door down to fracture your face over words you said to him?

Nope not kidding there are loads of cases where people have shot unarmed people who have broken into their house and ended up doing some time. Add to that that the person in the house (you in this case) actually instigated the altercation and I wouldn't be nearly as confident as you that you would walk away scott free.

Nope not kidding there are loads of cases where people have shot unarmed people who have broken into their house and ended up doing some time. Add to that that the person in the house (you in this case) actually instigated the altercation and I wouldn't be nearly as confident as you that you would walk away scott free.

Look up Castle doctrine before you post more on this.

Look up Castle doctrine before you post more on this.

Thats all good and well but in your scenario you instigated the incident. This would w/o a doubt go to a jury trial. Once there anything can happen.

Don't believe me? Rent an apartment in a questionable neighborhood and yell obscenities and the people on the streets and just start shooting them as they enter and try and claim self defense. I doubt you get off scott free.

Edited by LandShark13

Thats all good and well but in your scenario you instigated the incident. This would w/o a doubt go to a jury trial. Once there anything can happen.

Don't believe me? Rent an apartment in a questionable neighborhood and yell obscenities and the people on the streets and just start shooting them as they enter and try and claim self defense. I doubt you get off scott free.

I can't believe this. Yelling to some one from your door step is "instigating" to the point where they would be OK kicking yor door in and busting your face?

I'm glad you don't write the law.

Uncertain-apparently Misi has paid him $42,000 plus medical expenses....that might be kinda teaching the opposite lesson, actually?

I can't believe this. Yelling to some one from your door step is "instigating" to the point where they would be OK kicking yor door in and busting your face?

exactly, verbal harrassment does not give license to home invasion, assault n battery, etc...

Kid is not to bright. Should have taken him to the cleaners.

Well he got his skull fractured. What more should Kisi have done?

But the second gives me the right to blow a home invaders head off; which is exactly what would have happened if he kicked my door in.

Yeah, we got that the first time.

It seems like witnesses would obviously be important in a case like this.

Are you the sort of person who would yell insults at someone else unprovoked? I don't think so but it's weird that you're more stuck on your gun rights than simple, good behavior.

All I been saying is it would be an interesting case.

For example yes if someone was to just break into your house you do have a right to defend it. However doesn't mean you have the right to use lethal force. In this case though Misi was breaking in and its pretty clear his intentions were to do bodily harm. So it would be easier to present a case for justifiable homicide.

Where that would get very shaky is the fact that you were the one who provoked the initial conflict. Especially if in the process of instigating the altercation you were to threaten the person breaking in prior to actual break in.

Like I said its an interesting theory and a lot of factors can and most likely would come into play. Lets just say I wouldnt bet life in prison on this scenario.

Edited by LandShark13

Are you the sort of person who would yell insults at someone else unprovoked? I don't think so but it's weird that you're more stuck on your gun rights than simple, good behavior.

Guess nobody better yell Brady sucks next time he is in RWS. That wouid give him the right to go in the stands and bust heads, right?

Guess nobody better yell Brady sucks next time he is in RWS. That wouid give him the right to go in the stands and bust heads, right?

Not if youre there!

I won't lie, I expected some back and forth on this one, but I didn't expect gun rights

Yeah, because as we all know, yelling insults at an opposing player during a sporting event is the same thing as yelling insults at a person who happens to be walking by your house.

Wow.

I skimmed the article quickly as I had other things to do and I didn't realize the full extent of the kid's injuries, I thought he just got beat up. I suppose smashing in his eye socket was unnecessary violence. What I meant and what I guess I should have said is that most folks go through life realizing that hollering obscenities for no reason at anyone, let alone a person more than twice our size is probably a bad plan, and in case he may not have understood that before, he certainly does now and perhaps will conduct himself more appropriately in the future.

Uncertain-apparently Misi has paid him $42,000 plus medical expenses....that might be kinda teaching the opposite lesson, actually?

What you've said could be quite true but If he is lying in his hospital bed right now thinking that 42 grand plus expenses is worth getting beaten unconscious then I suppose no life lesson is really going to help him.

Nothing to do with gun rights. If the kid chopped the home invaders [ and that is exactly what the fins player was] head off with a axe I would have been fine with it.

Touché. I definitely went too off the cuff with my comment. Right to self defense, or more so lethal defense.

Edited by NoSaint

amazing how far people can go with out intricate details. it's a media event. who knows what really happened. the result seems to be an injury. But dont take this personal guys and girls.

Sounds like a story of two idiots, why anyone wants to defend either of them or there rights is kinda interesting they both went over the line in moral principles.

amazing how far people can go with out intricate details. it's a media event. who knows what really happened. the result seems to be an injury. But dont take this personal guys and girls.

Sounds like a story of two idiots, why anyone wants to defend either of them or there rights is kinda interesting they both went over the line in moral principles.

No question.

I'm not even taking this as anything other than a theoretical discussion.

Person A insults person B unprovoked from a seemingly secure location.

Person B breaches secure location and confronts Person A.

What is a just outcome?

Is Person B morally justified in breaching secure location and confronting Person A?

Is physical retribution by Person B justified? Is a further escalation using weapons by Person A then justified?

Should they engage only in discussion? What if Person A is very skilled in language and Person B isn't?

Of course we don't know the particulars in this case but we can discuss it from the standpoint of what we do know.

p.s.- People get into confrontations every day from road rage to other things.

Is might right?

What is the moral code?