C.J. should be named starter.

Bufcomments

160 members have voted

1. 1. Let C.J. Spiller start

• yes
    • no..... its still Fred's team
    • split carries Chan Style

Fred Jackson is one of my favorite All-time Bills. Thought i'd say that first off. What he has done since being a Bill, where he came from and what he means to this team you can't measure. I respect him enough to buy his jersey. What he did before getting hurt

was amazing. But....

This year is different and so is C.J.

Spillers game has gone up maybe 2 notches from last year. He was putting up MVP type numbers before he hurt his shoulder. In the AZ game he seemed back to his Madden ways. He reminds me of a faster Marshall Faulk if that's even possible. I say its time to let him get the bulk of the carries. Its Spiller time. This is what they saw when the drafted him and now its time.

Let the man get 22-25 carries a game and when the Bills line gets back to full strength so he is gonna be even better.

You can show Fred some love in goal line situations because he is the stronger back. But let C.J. move the ball down the field. What yall think?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Fred as he done a good job as the prime back (before CJ stepped it up), but if they split time I'd prefer CJ as the #1. When and if (barring inury) that doesn't work rethink it and go back to a near 50/50 split that just isn't jelling. Look at the YPC average, in this case that stat says it all.

at 7.6 Yards Per Rush Attempt (#1 in the NFL) he can slide and run out of bounds all he wants.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Fred Jackson is one of my favorite All-time Bills. Thought i'd say that first off. What he has done since being a Bill, where he came from and what he means to this team you can't measure. I respect him enough to buy his jersey. What he did before getting hurt

was amazing. But....

This year is different and so is C.J.

Spillers game has gone up maybe 2 notches from last year. He was putting up MVP type numbers before he hurt his shoulder. In the AZ game he seemed back to his Madden ways. He reminds me of a faster Marshall Faulk if that's even possible. I say its time to let him get the bulk of the carries. Its Spiller time. This is what they saw when the drafted him and now its time.

Let the man get 22-25 carries a game and when the Bills line gets back to full strength so he is gonna be even better.

You can show Fred some love in goal line situations because he is the stronger back. But let C.J. move the ball down the field. What yall think?

I think CJ has taken major steps this season, but he still isn't a complete back and I kinda like keeping the defense on their toes splitting the carries. I know Fred fumbled the first play of the game sunday, but he is still less likely overall to fumble on a big hit then CJ is. I like the splitting but it still seems like Gailey could use them better, for example, I would never have CJ in when it is down at the 1 or 2 yard line and you are running up the gut, he is too small and takes too big of hits doing that (see the end of the first half against the Pats). Fred has much more power, better up the gut, but he isn't as quick as CJ and isn't as big a threat in open field. That said, I really like when they have both of them in the backfield, really keeps the defense from playing towards one strength and they have to be prepared for either one of them. Not to mention, all backs can get hurt, and CJ is certainly no exception to that, especially since he is so small, splitting carries will help in keeping the both as healthy as possible.

I may go for this when CJ quits running out of bounds to avoid tackles.

Or you could watch a highlight of the play you keep referencing and realize CJ didn't "quit" on the play -- he saved himself unnecessary punishment for what would have been a negligible gain.

I love Freddie, but the touches need to be 2/3 CJ and 1/3 Freddie at this point. CJ should be the main back, with Freddie spelling him every couple of drives. Or put them both on the field at the same time. But CJs earned the right to be the #1 over Freddie.

I love how people ignore the runs, and success that each of these backs have in different situations.

Spiller has been run almost exclusively out of the shotgun, or 3 wr sets. Obviously this works very well for him due to his speed, this also helps give him a ridiculous YPC number.

FJ has been getting most of the carries out of single back sets, short yardage, and the rare power formation. FJ almost always gets at least 3 yards, and is terrific running inside, even when blocking breaks down. I know biased Spiller lovers will never accept this, but this is his weakness. He is not a strong runner, and often takes losses on these types of run (he has been getting very few of these carries this year).

Bottom line, we need them both. I thought the mixed running game worked great last week, until Gailey's stroke and he decided to let Brad Smith throw. Mixing in FJ changes the pace and will actually HELP Spiller make more big plays. Plus he gives us a reliable power runner. When/if we get the lead we want FJ to be able to grind away, keep the D off the field for a bit.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think CJ has taken major steps this season, but he still isn't a complete back and I kinda like keeping the defense on their toes splitting the carries. I know Fred fumbled the first play of the game sunday, but he is still less likely overall to fumble on a big hit then CJ is. I like the splitting but it still seems like Gailey could use them better, for example, I would never have CJ in when it is down at the 1 or 2 yard line and you are running up the gut, he is too small and takes too big of hits doing that (see the end of the first half against the Pats). Fred has much more power, better up the gut, but he isn't as quick as CJ and isn't as big a threat in open field. That said, I really like when they have both of them in the backfield, really keeps the defense from playing towards one strength and they have to be prepared for either one of them. Not to mention, all backs can get hurt, and CJ is certainly no exception to that, especially since he is so small, splitting carries will help in keeping the both as healthy as possible.

This ^

When you have two good weapons, you use them both. In fact Gailey often had them both on the field at the same time last game. It kind of boggles my mind why people would only want to use one or the other...

Edited by Turbosrrgood