A's - Rangers

Chef Jim

I didn't want to put this in the baseball forum where it would get ignored. After 161 games the winner of the AL West will be decided by today's last game between the A's and the Rangers. The Rangers were up 5-1 going into the bottom of the 4th and emerged at the end of the 4th down 7-5!

GO A's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing job by the A's? Quick, name three of them, I thought not. Billy has to be Manager of the year.

Well I can seeing I live in Oakland but it was an amazing run in the second half. Down 13 games in June and down 5-1 in this game and come back and win it.

Just busting your balls. I'm a Yankees fan personally...would be an interesting ALCS between them and the Athletics. Gun to my head, I'd put Detroit and San Fran in the WS.

The A's are on an incredible roll. Not just in the fact that they came from 13 down. That's from June....big deal. It's how they've won many of their games recently. Coming from behind on a regular basis. Being down 5-1 in the fourth and scoring 6 runs in the bottom of the inning is just incredible and then shutting out the Rangers the rest of the game is even more incredible.

BTW can I mention here that the one game wild card playoff is a load of crap. What's the point? Yeah, yeah I know.....$$

The A's are on an incredible roll. Not just in the fact that they came from 13 down. That's from June....big deal. It's how they've won many of their games recently. Coming from behind on a regular basis. Being down 5-1 in the fourth and scoring 6 runs in the bottom of the inning is just incredible and then shutting out the Rangers the rest of the game is even more incredible.

BTW can I mention here that the one game wild card playoff is a load of crap. What's the point? Yeah, yeah I know.....$$

After a whopping 162 games, I think the regular season alone should decide each pennant winner. MAYBE have 4 playoff teams total. 10 is ridiculous.

After a whopping 162 games, I think the regular season alone should decide each pennant winner. MAYBE have 4 playoff teams total. 10 is ridiculous.

So are you saying go back to two divisions or one division winner is out of the playoffs I'm good with 6 teams with the team with the best record in each league drawing a bye.

Oh and having the all-star game decide home field in the Series?? Double load of crap. .

Remember Cabrera's DUI last year when he got out of the car swigging Scotch? What a difference a year makes. It's an amazing thing. The playoffs are going to be insane.

Posey MVP in my eyes (yes, i am a Giants fan but Chef is right. Not even the club knew if he would be the same. He wasn't. He was better.

So are you saying go back to two divisions or one division winner is out of the playoffs I'm good with 6 teams with the team with the best record in each league drawing a bye.

Oh and having the all-star game decide home field in the Series?? Double load of crap. .

I realize how the current playoff system makes things more exciting for the casual fan. I get it.

It's just that I'm a stats nerd, so it bothers me how the long marathon schedule (in which the Law of Large Numbers actually has a chance to work) does such a great job of parsing the good teams from the superior teams...and then the BEST team can be eliminated from losing 3 games in a 5 game series.

In the NFL, it's entirely possible that a 10-6 team is superior to a 12-4 team. Small sample size. In baseball, an 87-75 simply isn't the same as a 100-62 team. But they're given the chance now to win a single game and stand on equal ground.

I like your idea of 6 teams with byes. I wonder what all that rest would do to the team with the bye, though.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I realize how the current playoff system makes things more exciting for the casual fan. I get it.

It's just that I'm a stats nerd, so it bothers me how the long marathon schedule (in which the Law of Large Numbers actually has a chance to work) does such a great job of parsing the good teams from the superior teams...and then the BEST team can be eliminated from losing 3 games in a 5 game series.

In the NFL, it's entirely possible that a 10-6 team is superior to a 12-4 team. Small sample size. In baseball, an 87-75 simply isn't the same as a 100-62 team. But they're given the chance now to win a single game and stand on equal ground.

I like your idea of 6 teams with byes. I wonder what all that rest would do to the team with the bye, though.

Good point on the rest. You know the last thing the A's want right now is a rest.

I think a bye would be terrible in baseball. And IMO, the 2d WC is a silly gimmick. The best baseball playoff structure was the one that worked fine for years -- two divisions per league with the division winners playing 7 games for the pennant.

I think a bye would be terrible in baseball. And IMO, the 2d WC is a silly gimmick. The best baseball playoff structure was the one that worked fine for years -- two divisions per league with the division winners playing 7 games for the pennant.

I disagree. That would be the worst thing for baseball. With only four teams making the playoffs it reduces the chance for tight races down the road like we had. That would probably have rendered yesterday's game between the Rangers and A's meaningless More teams chasing a playoff spot the better. I agree that my bye idea was not the best. Go back to the three divisional winners and one wild card. Once again a one game playoff is just dumb unless it's for a tiebreaker.

18?? WTF??

Astros are switching over to the AL and joinging the West, so they get 18 games against them

As for the Extra Wild Card, its the reason why so many teams were still in the race this late, and why it was so close this year. Personally, I like the one game showdown to determin the wildcard team, division winners are automatically in, the wildcard is decided by the one game playoff. Maybe if you moved it to a best of 3 series, played at the home field of the higher ranked team so its similar to playing an extra series might be better (having it played in one location would allow them to keep it shortened to a weekend and eliminate travel days that would be a headache if it was between Oakland and Boston for example)?

I loved the new structure. Being a Yankee fan it was really the first time since the Wild Card came into play that I was really dialed into every game in September. Most years it's all locked up by then.

I agree with KD - it seemed like the Triple Crown got little fanfare. I actually didn't even know he that it was in play until a few days ago! I would have thought if it ever happened in my lifetime, it would have been huge, like when Pete Rose had his hitting streak or McGuire going after Maris.

Is it that news so splintered these days? I don't find out that say a well known football player from the '70s died until weeks later sometimes when I read my outdated SI issue.

I loved the new structure. Being a Yankee fan it was really the first time since the Wild Card came into play that I was really dialed into every game in September. Most years it's all locked up by then.

I agree with KD - it seemed like the Triple Crown got little fanfare. I actually didn't even know he that it was in play until a few days ago! I would have thought if it ever happened in my lifetime, it would have been huge, like when Pete Rose had his hitting streak or McGuire going after Maris.

Is it that news so splintered these days? I don't find out that say a well known football player from the '70s died until weeks later sometimes when I read my outdated SI issue.

For being a pretty important sports town, it seems Detroit athletics are treated with relative ambivalence.

Yeah, teams play just under half their season within the division.

I didn't know the Astros were going to the AL.

It's becaus he's hispanic. :D

This has been a hell of a baseball season for me thusfar. My A's coming from out of nowhere to not only make the playoffs, but sweep the Rangers to outright win the division! Awesome. I was in shock and awe watching the final game yesterday. They simply never quit, and never have all season long. 5 back with 9 to go, and an incredible 4 back with 6 to go and they pull it off. I'm looking forward to the postseason. And to do all of this after trading away Gio, Cahill, and Bailey? And without one of their top pitchers in Brett Anderson? Awesome.

Then my boy Buster Posey absolutely blows up. Sure, he had this type fo season in him, but it was totally unexpected coming off such a horrific injury.

Then you got Miggy winning the triple crown. I wish more of this was discussed. Its an amazing feat, and something i wasn't sure i'd ever see in my lifetime, given the proliferation of .200 avg - 50 HR types in the bigs.