San Francisco is weird... "Spare the Air Day?" No bags in stor

Fezmid

So I'm in San Francisco for a conference this week and have the local news on in the background. The first story they talked about was the fact that a law goes into effect today where stores are not allowed to give customers a bag unless they charge 10 cents for it (and NO plastic bags!). What kind of lame law is that?!?!

The next story was even stranger -- the air here apparently isn't very good today, so they're enacting a "Spare the Air" day, where they're requesting people to take public transportation (so you're outside in the bad air longer???) and to avoid using gas grills.... What the heck?! :lol:

EDIT: Oooh, another crazy one! Illegal immigrants can now get a driver's license! And the governor of the state says that everyone will be safer if drivers have licenses! (like requiring a license automatically means everyone will get one and will drive safer!).

California news is like watching a sitcom! :lol:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spare the air day was typically when I'd fire up my smoker and let it rip for 6 hours. Come and get me copper! :devil:

I'm totally picturing you by the grill with a beer in hand, manical laughter while flipping burgers, and SWAT is converging from all sides.

When I lived in Seattle they had, and likely still have, BURN BANS!

You can't use your fireplace when a burn ban is in effect, unless it's your only source of heat.

They get temperature inversions during the cold weather and all the smoke get trapped, kind of like the LA smog. If you get caught using your fireplace during a ban, you get fined! They also make you buy "oxygenated gas" in the winter. It makes your car run like crap but it's "supposed" to lessen the pollution. It also costs more, but what's a few more cents on top of what we already pay for gas?

Tree huggers are behind all this lunacy!

When I lived in Seattle they had, and likely still have, BURN BANS!

You can't use your fireplace when a burn ban is in effect, unless it's your only source of heat.

They get temperature inversions during the cold weather and all the smoke get trapped, kind of like the LA smog. If you get caught using your fireplace during a ban, you get fined! They also make you buy "oxygenated gas" in the winter. It makes your car run like crap but it's "supposed" to lessen the pollution. It also costs more, but what's a few more cents on top of what we already pay for gas?

Tree huggers are behind all this lunacy!

Oh yes, have this in Oregon as well. Which is BS. The weather patterns here (and in WA) change by the minute so they'd just blow all of the smoke out of here eventually anyway. :rolleyes:

I love it! Good for San Fran!

But the drones suck. You're one mixed up dude.

I'm totally picturing you by the grill with a beer in hand, manical laughter while flipping burgers, and SWAT is converging from all sides.

Except for the part about SWAT that's me pretty much every day regardless if it's spare the air day or not.

Where Chef Jim lives now (Oakland Hills) ,if he has any lawn, it's so small he can cut it with a pair of scissors

I have no lawn. Front yard is terraced flower beds. We're ripping out the hodge podge of crap that was in there before and are going with a bunch of succulents. Back yard is cement and decomposed granite. I wish I could figure how to post a picture here of my view it's spectacular. Wonderful sunset over SF last night.

Edited by Chef Jim

I suppose all the deadheads shouldn't spark one up on "spare the air" day either.

I was there a few months ago and had to pay a tax on my dinner tab for the health care of restaurant employees.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

Oh no! Don't get Simon started on plastic bags!

;)

Spare the air day was typically when I'd fire up my smoker and let it rip for 6 hours. Come and get me copper! :devil:

About four years ago, I installed a new water softener. Reading through the manual... It says, in California, the user has to turn on the salt saving (hence water saving) feature... LoL... What? Are there water softener police patrolling Cali homes?

I love it! Good for San Fran!

And what is the eco-footprint of that cheesy China made "reusable" bags they are pumping out for a few bucks a pop? I guess it does not matter... Who cares what goes on in China!

Oh yes, have this in Oregon as well. Which is BS. The weather patterns here (and in WA) change by the minute so they'd just blow all of the smoke out of here eventually anyway. :rolleyes:

Blame Donora, PA... Circa 1948.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

SWAT yelling "get on the ground, get on the ground"

Chef " thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice".

Oh no! Don't get Simon started on plastic bags!

;)

About four years ago, I installed a new water softener. Reading through the manual... It says, in California, the user has to turn on the salt saving (hence water saving) feature... LoL... What? Are there water softener police patrolling Cali homes?

No but the water police are which they should.