Mario Williams - Mr. Invisible - Explain it

Oh look, it's token contrarian guy. Yawn.

Yes lets blame the fans for being wrong about a signing because they all have the same resources at their disposal as Buddy Nix. I would rather be open-minded enough to admit I was wrong that it was a good signing than be a stubborn fool by blaming coaching for our $175mill DL getting manhandled by a pedestrian OL who was missing its best player.

Besides if you really want to compare average fan vs the actual Bills Front Office, drafting Ngata over Whitner likely trumps any superior move(s) the Bills actually did that most fans wouldn't have in the last 10 years. And that's pretty sad.

So you are declaring the Mario signing as wrong after 4 games and that is a sign of being open minded? I'd call it reactionary. Yawn.

Based on the evidence Nix had at the time, trying to sign Mario WAS the right thing to do. It may or may not work out, it is too soon to tell. Mario has certainly contributed next to nothing so far to be sure. But a bad signing stance this early, to me anyway, is a fan knee jerk response. Not a sign of being open minded. YMMV.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good point.

According to http://espn.go.com/b...to-past-success

The Patriots gained 200 of their 247 rushing yards between the tackles, the third-highest yardage total of any team since the start of the 2008 season.

It still doesn't explain away Mario Williams being neutralized one on one... did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, our REAL playmakers were being doubled and The Invisible Man offered ZERO help to take the heat off of them?

So you are declaring the Mario signing as wrong after 4 games and that is a sign of being open minded? I'd call it reactionary. Yawn.

Based on the evidence Nix had at the time, trying to sign Mario WAS the right thing to do. It may or may not work out, it is too soon to tell. Mario has certainly contributed next to nothing so far to be sure. But a bad signing stance this early, to me anyway, is a fan knee jerk response. Not a sign of being open minded. YMMV.

You may be right. I hope you are. I thought the "$100m mistake" thread was reactionary because it was his 1st game, only 1 game, and most who watched the film thought the DB's were just as much or more to blame.

We are now at the 1/4 point of the season and he's been a complete no-show in the exact spot we signed him for, the two biggest games we brought him in for, against mediocre at best Tackles. Maybe if he were an offensive player it'd be easier to buy the "he needs time to mesh in a new scheme/teammates" - for defenders I think that's mostly hot air football jargon. I guess we'll see.

Wade Phillips who is a defensive genius, moved Mario to the OLB position for a reason....

Wanny abandoned stopping the run by playing Scott at LB. they were gaining most of their yards on the ground between the tackles.....where were the LB's ??

our LB's as a group suck...ALL of them !!

as a defensive philosophy you have to pick you poison.....i would rather commit to stopping the run and pressuring the QB with 5 guys coming (4 D-lineman and Mario as OLB).....and then take my chances letting them beat us through the air, hopefully with less time to throw than the usual pressure our current 4 guys are getting. you just cant give top QB's more than 3 seconds to throw.

Very good point.

According to http://espn.go.com/b...to-past-success

The Patriots gained 200 of their 247 rushing yards between the tackles, the third-highest yardage total of any team since the start of the 2008 season.

Agreed - from what I am seeing they have been using Mario and Anderson in contain roles more than run stoppers. Mario has been starting way out wide and typically rushing outside. I think they are using him like this to take pressure of the young CBs on run defense and the weak OLBs we have. It's not like we have Antoine Winfield outside anymore where our DBs are making plays in the backfield. He's not making plays, but he's not exactly missing his assignments either.

The problem with this system is exactly what the patriots exposed us on. We need LBs to step up and fill the holes in the middle if it is 3OL versus our 2 DT if we keep running the defense the way we are. If we keep playing the whole game in Nickel and Dime coverage they have those 5-10 yard runs available and the 8-12 yard pass wide open. The Patriots adjusted and we didn't...

Wade Phillips who is a defensive genius, moved Mario to the OLB position for a reason....

Wanny abandoned stopping the run by playing Scott at LB. they were gaining most of their yards on the ground between the tackles.....where were the LB's ??

our LB's as a group suck...ALL of them !!

as a defensive philosophy you have to pick you poison.....i would rather commit to stopping the run and pressuring the QB with 5 guys coming (4 D-lineman and Mario as OLB).....and then take my chances letting them beat us through the air, hopefully with less time to throw than the usual pressure our current 4 guys are getting. you just cant give top QB's more than 3 seconds to throw.

yea he moved him to OLB because he runs a 34 defense. would you like to switch back? because he sure as hell isnt a 43 OLB.

or are you just proposing we run a 5-2 base?

all this talk about mario in houston is crazy...........He was lights out awesome for a long period of time......Now IMO he looks slow and uninspired.........keep cashing those checks big boy......

Read comments from some former teammates, or just look at how the Houston D has played since his injury last season (I know he was playing 'out of position' in Wade's 3-4) they haven't skipped a beat.

You may be right. I hope you are. I thought the "$100m mistake" thread was reactionary because it was his 1st game, only 1 game, and most who watched the film thought the DB's were just as much or more to blame.

We are now at the 1/4 point of the season and he's been a complete no-show in the exact spot we signed him for, the two biggest games we brought him in for, against mediocre at best Tackles. Maybe if he were an offensive player it'd be easier to buy the "he needs time to mesh in a new scheme/teammates" - for defenders I think that's mostly hot air football jargon. I guess we'll see.

I hope he works out as well as I'm sure all Bills fans do. I agree with you that AFCE games are far too important for him to be M.I.A. and it is extremely disheartening. I don't buy the time to mesh excuse either for DL. But unless some team is willing to give up someone of his potential in a trade I can't see any other course than letting him play and hope he works out of it.

He was never an elite pass rusher...I cant ever remember seeing highlights of him , or hearing anything about him from Houston-they are doing just fine without him the past two seasons. He has 7 tackles this season and 1 sack thru four games...At seasons end he will have 28 tackles and 4 sacks if he stays at this pace!

In 2009 he had 9 sacks, in 2010 he had 8 sacks, last year he had 5...Does that seem like an elite pass rusher?

We needed to make a splash this off-season-but we got bamboozled. This guy aint Reggie White-He is no leader, he has no mean streak- simply put the guy is sub par.

I hope somebody does that video analysis again.

I don't think our ends (Anderson and Williams) were blitzing the quarterback much.

The malfunctioning defense is not on the players. It's on the strategy.

If you brought Williams and Anderson in to rush the quarterback, let them do that. Blitz with abandon.

It's not just the Bills that tend to leash their pass rushers. The Giants did it last night and the Ravens did it against the Pats. They have their most formidable pass rushers doing contain on the edges.

I hope somebody does that video analysis again.

I don't think our ends (Anderson and Williams) were blitzing the quarterback much.

The malfunctioning defense is not on the players. It's on the strategy.

If you brought Williams and Anderson in to rush the quarterback, let them do that. Blitz with abandon.

It's not just the Bills that tend to leash their pass rushers. The Giants did it last night and the Ravens did it against the Pats. They have their most formidable pass rushers doing contain on the edges.

Once again, Bruce Smith didn't need a blitz to sack the quarterback. Great playmakers make plays, and all we have from Mario Williams is excuses. Quit making excuses for him and realize what we are not getting for our investment. Aaron Schobel gave us much more than this guy with far less talent around him.

Edited by BmoreBills

It may or may not work out, it is too soon to tell. Mario has certainly contributed next to nothing so far to be sure. But a bad signing stance this early, to me anyway, is a fan knee jerk response. Not a sign of being open minded. YMMV.

You're right... let's wait until we go 5-11 with a below average defense and the season is over with before we relegate MW to bust status, because lord knows the great and almighty offensive lines of Kansas City and Cleveland were Pro Bowl caliber and that really made it difficult on the poor guy.