Moving beyond money

please stop the ad hom attacks and lets discuss the ideas.

from my understanding austrian economics is bankrupt, as a finite money supply backed by gold would severly limit the ability of people to gain wealth. ( and would hinder the ability of an economy to recover, e.g. great depression)... among various other problems. in a private market, some banks might start handing out bank notes not backed by gold, which happened millions of times for centuries. only back then, they would hang the banker.... now we just bail them out... it's a very unstable system...

again, the solution is not a monetary system, its creating abundance of resources and tech...

For starters, I'm not a rigid Austrian. I'm completely opposed to a nationalized gold standard.

The ideal monetary system would be based in free banking, using units of exchange backed by whatever standard the marker holder wished to own as a sort of mixed basket of competing currencies. Currencies backed by oil, lumber, gold, natural gas, iron... they would all compete and be freely exchanged. Current technologies would make this system easy to manage, as exchanges could all be held on a debt like card rather than carried physically.

Resources will always be finite, which is what gives them intrinsic value. There are no technologies which render them limitless.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your last sentence contradicts your first two.

You basically just stated, "All resources are finite therefor we must focus on infinite resources."

no, the current condition is based on finite resources. tech can expand the lifetime of those resources, and some energy, ( like the sun), are limitless for all intents and purposes... but the tech has to catch up to harness it...

but yeah, some resources are finite, some renewable....

For starters, I'm not a rigid Austrian. I'm completely opposed to a nationalized gold standard.

The ideal monetary system would be based in free banking, using units of exchange backed by whatever standard the marker holder wished to own as a sort of mixed basket of competing currencies. Currencies backed by oil, lumber, gold, natural gas, iron... they would all compete and be freely exchanged. Current technologies would make this system easy to manage, as exchanges could all be held on a debt like card rather than carried physically.

Resources will always be finite, which is what gives them intrinsic value. There are no technologies which render them limitless.

some are, renewable energy is not.... other aspects of resources could be managed to keep them sustainable. if not, we fail as a humans...

im not so sure we disagree. obviously, where human labor is needed, then surely austrian economics might be a good alternative. but the goals is to have basic needs met through tech and renewable energy...

like i said, food and energy are a great place to start.

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

Swing and a miss.

That sounds pretty damn finite to me.

so... fossil fuels- probably a 100 years at best...

the sun- 6 billion years...

sure tom, it's finite, just like our galaxy... and the universe...

lol, why do you play these stupid semantic games...

you know what i mean

Swing and a miss.

the sun? lol

so... fossil fuels- probably a 100 years at best...

the sun- 6 billion years...

sure tom, it's finite, just like our galaxy... and the universe...

lol, why do you play these stupid semantic games...

you know what i mean

the sun? lol

Strike two. Keep trying.

Says the idiot who can't wait to vote for a President who continues to "create" an extra trillion dollars a year out of debt.

:doh:

im voting for obama? lol no....

Strike two. Keep trying.

the sun is not renewable given technical efficiency/sustainability?

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

Good Lord...

Money isn't "created" in a capitalist system. It is simply a marker representitive of actual wealth, and a lubricant of economic activity. Money simply means that we never have to decide how many chickens a Volvo is worth, which makes exchange unburdensome, and therefor grants labor value and creates a desire for increased productivity.

As to banking institutions, you need to stop strawmaning and come to realize that centralized fractional reserve banking is not synonymous with banking in general. If you'd like to fill your head with something useful, step away from Hamiltonian banking theory and do some research into the Free Banking Era that arose under Andrew Jackson.

Andrew Jackson's tombstone reads "I killed the bank"

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A

great industrial nation is now controlled by its system of credit. We are

no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by

conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion

and duress of a small group of dominant men."

- Woodrow Wilson

Andrew Jackson's tombstone reads "I killed the bank"

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A

great industrial nation is now controlled by its system of credit. We are

no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by

conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion

and duress of a small group of dominant men."

- Woodrow Wilson

Woodrow Wilson was a racist of the highest order.