Geno Smith is amazing

Bangarang

I follow WV closely as I am from there. I will withhold until he plays an actual defense who can pressure him. So far, he has had all day to throw the ball. I'd like to see how he does under pressure. However, arm strength, mobility, etc. is all there, he could be real good.

This.

Watched him against Maryland and he wasn't the greatest, the rest of the games have been cup cakes.

He's good, but remember this is the offense that produced Graham Harrell and Kase Keenum. Like Tito I'm holding off on the hype until I see him against a few other defenses. Still a very impressive game today, can't take that away from him.

Right now I still have him graded in the 3rd to 5th round category

Glad to see the WV people not getting carried away.

For those of you keeping score at home, so far in this thread we have the following:

1) Geno Smith will be a bust because he threw for over 600 yards today

2) Geno Smith will go in rounds 3-5

3) The worst possible thing that can happen is that the Bills knock Brady out for the season tomorrow and the Pats lose the rest of their games

Hell NO! haven't we had enough losing around here. Denver got Osweiler in the second there will be good QBs latter if necessary.

In the 2014 draft Tyler Bray and Casey Pachall will be the ones to get and if they come out early we can grab one of them, but they need more seasoning right now and will be better served to stay for the senior yrs.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

Watched him against Maryland and he wasn't the greatest, the rest of the games have been cup cakes.

He got pressured a bit in the Maryland game, took a sack or two, but he still lead his team to a win throwing multiple TD passes, no interceptions.

also, you keep touting the "easy" schedule, as a possible reason for his success, but He doesn't make the schedule, would you like it more if he played down to the competition. Again, I will point you to the Orange Bowl, against Conference Champion Clemson. He's done it against big teams, and will continue to do it.

Its not all about the stats, its about the skills he has demonstrated on Saturdays, and right now he appears to be the best Qb in College Football.

See, that's one of the better endorsements yet in here. I'd love to hear more detailed info from you.

I wish i could peform a more detailed analysis, but i haven't seen enough of him. I've seen parts of 3-4 of his games this season and really liked what i saw. He can make all the throws. You don't see him float the shorter ones, he drives the ball. He seems to move very well around in the pocket to buy time, and can run when needed. #Genomafia :P

On the flip side, i'd really like to see him stand up against a good defense. Its relatively easy to make all the throws when you've got all day to sit in the pocket. I know QBs perfom worse under pressure in general, but i really wanna see how Geno handles a defense that makes him "uncomfortable" all game long. Unfortunately, we're not going to see that in the Big Xii(-2). With as good as WV appears to be, i hate that they cancelled the game down here against FSU. I'd have loved to see Geno vs our defense.

Now, i CAN give a full detailed analysis on EJ Manuel.

Edited by Ramius

I'm noticing a few WVU fans around here (not just this thread) are still a bit cautious.

WVU fans (me included) treat the 'Eers like we treat the Bills.

Hope for the best, but expect the worse to happen on the field.

This weekend against Texas will tell a lot.

I know nothing about this kid and have heard a lot of hype around him. My only question is, doesn't he work in the spread? Normally those guys don't work out.

But hey, I'm all for a ton of great college QB's coming out this year so we can have a chance at them

I know nothing about this kid and have heard a lot of hype around him. My only question is, doesn't he work in the spread? Normally those guys don't work out.

But hey, I'm all for a ton of great college QB's coming out this year so we can have a chance at them

The spread principles have been integrated into many teams offensive philosophies in the NFl, namely ours. Read Option QBs, that look to run first, are the ones that usually dont pan out (eric crouch), the other side to that is the Graham Harrells and Kellen Moores of the world. A spread offense can hide deficiencies in a QB, like lack of "NFL" arm strength, reading defenses ETC...

However, the difference with Smith, and RG3 before him, is that they have the downfield accuracy, and noticeable arm strength. Fact of the matter is that the college game is turning to the spread more and more, just like back in the day when many teams ran the option, triple option etc...

It is true that the spread "air raid" attack that harrell, RG3, and Smith all ran will inflate statistics, however, you have to look deeper than the numbers. What Smith has is everything you look for in a Franchise QB, time will show that, just keep an eye on him.

The spread principles have been integrated into many teams offensive philosophies in the NFl, namely ours. Read Option QBs, that look to run first, are the ones that usually dont pan out (eric crouch), the other side to that is the Graham Harrells and Kellen Moores of the world. A spread offense can hide deficiencies in a QB, like lack of "NFL" arm strength, reading defenses ETC...

However, the difference with Smith, and RG3 before him, is that they have the downfield accuracy, and noticeable arm strength. Fact of the matter is that the college game is turning to the spread more and more, just like back in the day when many teams ran the option, triple option etc...

It is true that the spread "air raid" attack that harrell, RG3, and Smith all ran will inflate statistics, however, you have to look deeper than the numbers. What Smith has is everything you look for in a Franchise QB, time will show that, just keep an eye on him.

thats exactly why we lean on the spread here - it hides weaknesses from the qb, despite the constant comments about how we are clueless and pass happy baffoons. the principles tend to really simplify the passing game and create easier throws. hence you can see even marginally talented college qbs succeed in it.

geno has a better arm than i have seen out of most of those guys - but i just havent seen a ton to be able to comment in depth on him.

Here's an excerpt from CBS Sports that may help clarify what I mean

"And as crazy as it sounds, when NFL scouts break down his performance against Baylor, they'll find that Smith was actually, at times, even better than his stat-line would indicate. They'll see that his 88.2% completion rate was hardly just a function of West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen's explosive offense or even terrible coverage by Baylor's defense. They'll see that while Smith certainly was well protected in this contest and woeful tackling allowed WVU's receivers to rack up gaudy yardage after the catch, that the Mountaineer quarterback simply picked apart the Baylor defense with his eyes pre and post-snap and by demonstrating outstanding accuracy on a number of NFL-caliber throws.

Smith completed seven of nine attempts that traveled at least 15 yards and was especially deadly on deep balls down the hash and sideline. Smith's ability to hit his receivers Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin in full stride played a critical role in their consistently generating yardage after the catch. He accomplished this on a variety of throws including a hot-read quick out to defeat an unexpected blitz, a deep out versus Cover Two in which he kept the safety honest with his quick progression and a number of picture perfect deep balls."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/20418642/heisman-no-1-overall-it-all-seems-possible-for-geno-smith

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.