Backlash against Queen Michelle school lunch edicts

DaveinElma

Yes. Many poor children with lazy parents are fed fast food, usually off those "dollar/value menus." And with the concerns over abductions and proliferation of video games, fewer children are going out and playing.

Corrected for accuracy. I've posted several menus that are extremely healthy are also very affordable. And there are an awful lot of fat rich kids too. And what's with this whole childe abduction thing? I was in the grocery store a few months ago and the woman told her child to not wander away. He might get abducted. I'm pretty sure my parent's would have cheered my abduction.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is an answer not many of you will like -

Put the Funding back into the schools so that the kids can actually get physical activity 2 or 3 times a week !!!!!!!

More money and more fun will solve the problem. You heard it here first.

Funny that your solution seems to be more of the same thing that got us here in the first place. Try to placate children with any bull **** other than discipline and learning and blindly toss more money at everything.

School-Lunch Fiasco: Only the Beginning

By Stanley Kurtz

Drudge today links a student protest

objecting to Michelle Obama’s school lunch regulations, and stories about school-lunch complaints are cropping up everywhere. This one from the Christian Science Monitor is a case study in the perils of over-regulation: one-size-fits-all, conflicting goals, rising prices, and failure to see the big picture.

The school lunch issue offers a tiny taste of what’s in store for America once Obama’s massive regulatory agenda begins to hit in a second term. Lunches are the least of the problem. Still, famished students and funny videos do remind us that once the reality of Obama’s carefully back-loaded regulatory agenda hits, we’re going to see a grassroots rebellion in this country.

I just came back from a conference where I heard a mom from Indiana named Heather Crossin describe her battle against Obama’s Common Core. Her child happened to attend one of the first schools in the country to use textbooks created to teach Obama’s new national curriculum. Most Americans have no idea that the president has circumvented the legal and constitutional prohibitions and imposed a national school curriculum on the states. Nor will they wake up to this disturbing fact until a second Obama term. The timing, of course, is intentional.

Crossin’s son came home from school one day with a “fuzzy math” problem. The question was, if one bridge is 790 feet, and the other is 730 feet, which bridge is longer? Crossin’s son replied that the 790 foot bridge is longer because 790 is great than 730. This was incorrect, because the child hadn’t arrived at the answer through the tortuous path required by the text. Crossin was furious and quickly educated herself about Obama’s Common Core.

The Common Core dumbs down standards, and in a misguided effort to “level the playing field” makes it tougher for parents to help their kids with their homework. Here’s an example of how this ridiculous process works when teaching the Gettysburg Address.

Crossin has successfully galvanized Indiana’s tea-party groups into fighting the Common Core. It’s a taste of what’s going to happen across the country once Obama’s new national school curriculum hits the ground. Angry parents like Crossin will be multiplied many times over, and they won’t just be making funny protest videos. They’ll be marching on state legislatures and giving the federal government an earful as well.

Obama’s outrageous changes to America’s school curriculum could easily spark a new tea-party uprising in a second term. And that’s not to mention Obamacare itself, which will only set off more protests once the provisions the president’s been saving for his second term become reality. Then there are Obama’s regulatory interventions on housing, driving, and land use that virtually no one has a clue are coming. I cover it all here. Unfortunately, we tend to get up in arms only when regulations actually bite.

The school-lunch fiasco is just an appetizer. Yet by withholding the impact of his ambitious regulatory agenda until after the election, Obama may just get away with it.

I have no problem with giganitic fat kids, they're funny. Too bad they will suck up a tremendous amout of resources later in life and probably bankrupt the country with heathcare outlays, but hey, lets do noting about it.

I do find it fascinating that Tomato Paste can pass a vegetable, but a Hummus and Black bean salad is an afront and imposition....

I find it amusing that this all done under the guise of children's health and nutrition when it's nothing more than corporate welfare for agriculture companies

Isn't classifing Tomato Paste a Vegetable the same thing?

Here's an idea- why not take a big plot of the turf grass around schools that suck up water, plow it under and plant a garden- student could help plant, tend, harvest, etc.... get them excited about the project, I bet they would be more open to eating from it if they are proud of it....

Just a thought.

I find it amusing that this all done under the guise of children's health and nutrition when it's nothing more than corporate welfare for agriculture companies

Isn't classifing Tomato Paste a Vegetable the same thing?

Yep, just like allowing 7-11 to accept EBT so all those starving working poor can get their recommended daily allowance of Doritos and Mountain Dew

Here's an idea- why not take a big plot of the turf grass around schools that suck up water, plow it under and plant a garden- student could help plant, tend, harvest, etc.... get them excited about the project, I bet they would be more open to eating from it if they are proud of it....

Just a thought.

Because crony capitalists don't like self sufficiency.

Put the Funding back into the schools so that the kids can actually get physical activity 2 or 3 times a week !!!!!!!

There's lots of funding in my school district - no problem there. But our kids have to keep a journal for gym class. Exercises and games are optional. It's the only way some kids can get an A in gym so they can keep their 4.0+ GPA. You know - competition to get into those colleges is getting tougher all the time.

I don't want a nanny state telling me what I should eat (obama) or drink (bloomberg)

My point is that you can not sit in Washington DC and decide what a child in Steuben county NY will eat. That is what I have a BOE and Principal for. Instead of solving the problem ,they made it worse. Typical Democrats.!!!!!

Well there has to be a menu so one way or another, some gov't bureaucrat is going to decide what the kids get served. I don't see much harm in applying federal nutritional standards to the school level food purchasing.

Newsflash for retards: the US spends vastly more money on education than anyone else in the world. Gee, I wonder where it all goes?

My HS cafeteria's staple was mashed potatoes and gravy. It didn't matter what you selected - hamburger, meatloaf, chicken, pizza, spaghetti - it always came with mashed potatoes and gravy. Always. The best thing they served by far were the sweet rolls - made fresh daily, every day. I think they were a dime. Lunches were a quarter. Many kids spent their quarter on two sweet rolls and a carton of milk.

I do not care about the "size" of Michelle,

I care about the size of government.

and, of course KD, everyone knows that obesity is a problem. But its not an all or nothing proposition

Forcing kids with food that they will not eat, is a transparently poor way to solve the problem. If they don't eat, how does that make them healthier? or more ready for school ?

This is another, Well , "even if its failing the intentions are good" project.

Famous New Yorker cartoon from the 30's

broccolig.gif

they are being forced to eat healthy food? i mean, cant they just pack a lunch of cookies?

why is it so bad that school lunches are healthy?

should food stamps allow people to eat junk food?

outside of the stupid big govt healthy lunches...lol

why dont we have sports for 1 hr everyday in school? does that even still exist? that doesnt cost a dime, in fact, it would save money. less health problems probably...

i had tons of junk food growing up, but i was outside for 6 hrs everyday, and playing sports in school.

oh well....

i guess walle is the future...

Been to a 7/11 lately? They accept EBT and aren't exactly known for a healthy menu

i didnt know that. when my dad was on the bridge card for a couple months, when he was laid off, they had certain restrictions at walmart

why is it so bad that school lunches are healthy?

For starters the school lunch program isn't about healthy lunches, it's about government subsidies to agriculture companies. But it's For The Children

why dont we have sports for 1 hr everyday in school? does that even still exist? that doesnt cost a dime, in fact, it would save money. less health problems probably...

Less health problems but too much liability. Little Johnny gets hurt...Better Call Saul!

Besides, if Little Johnny gets picked last for dodgeball it may hurt his self esteem

i didnt know that. when my dad was on the bridge card for a couple months, when he was laid off, they had certain restrictions at walmart

I've seen how the restrictions at Walmart® work. Standing in line behind people who separate the items in the checkout line. One pile full of Gov't Approved items that they pay with their swipe swipe card. The other stack of steak, beer, and other non approved items paid in cash

And back on 7/11, I was at one in a less than stellar neighborhood during the summer. I overheard a fine pillar of the community lament something like "sho is hot nuff. can't wait til they charge my food stamps, I'm gonna buy me a 12 pack of Pepsi". I thought wtf, you can buy Pepsi with EBT?

For starters the school lunch program isn't about healthy lunches, it's about government subsidies to agriculture companies. But it's For The Children

Less health problems but too much liability. Little Johnny gets hurt...Better Call Saul!

Besides, if Little Johnny gets picked last for dodgeball it may hurt his self esteem

sure, but it's still a healthy lunch, right? i mean, are 12 year olds going to eat brownies all day... christ

sure, but it's still a healthy lunch, right? i mean, are 12 year olds going to eat brownies all day... christ

I remember when I was 12. If given the option to eat brownies, doritos, and junk food all day I would have but that plan was thwarted by those damned parental units

I remember when I was 12. If given the option to eat brownies, doritos, and junk food all day I would have but that plan was thwarted by those damned parental units

at school?

condoms in hs bad, ( implies personal responsibility, but bad)

school lunches full of junk food good, ( implies personal responsibility, but good)

so you are saying healthy food should not be an option?

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER