QB power rankings 2012

Buffalos#1Fan

I'd take Fitzpatrick over every QB in his level and the one above. I believe that Mark Sanchez is the only other QB in that level and the one above that has beat the Patriots. That win was not coming from behind three scores either. I find it baffling that there is such a hate for Fitzpatrick. You must be the same people that wish we would have drafted Clausen. Here is the deal, you can always complain that Fitzpatrick sucks but how many draft picks has he cost the Bills? NONE! The Bills since 2004 have drafted three QB's. Losman in round 1, Trent Edwards in Round 3 and Levi Brown in Round 7. Why aren't any of them starting?

You realize hitting on a QB is pretty much Luck (no pun intended). Look at Alex Smith, a bust in my book and the team just got lucky by not cutting him before Harbaugh got there.

I'd much rather spend draft picks on other positions than take the risk on a busting on a QB!

Sorry for the rant, go ahead and let the bashing begin.

Without risk, there is no chance for reward. I see JP Losman a lot like Alex Smith. Both started out on bad teams. The difference is AS was kept around until the team was able to get all the right pieces in place including the right coaches, while we cut ties with JP.

I would to see what Chan & company could do with JPs arm & mobility.

I'd take Fitzpatrick over every QB in his level and the one above. I believe that Mark Sanchez is the only other QB in that level and the one above that has beat the Patriots. That win was not coming from behind three scores either. I find it baffling that there is such a hate for Fitzpatrick. You must be the same people that wish we would have drafted Clausen. Here is the deal, you can always complain that Fitzpatrick sucks but how many draft picks has he cost the Bills? NONE! The Bills since 2004 have drafted three QB's. Losman in round 1, Trent Edwards in Round 3 and Levi Brown in Round 7. Why aren't any of them starting?

You realize hitting on a QB is pretty much Luck (no pun intended). Look at Alex Smith, a bust in my book and the team just got lucky by not cutting him before Harbaugh got there.

I'd much rather spend draft picks on other positions than take the risk on a busting on a QB!

Bashing begins in 3, 2, 1, . . .

> I'd take Fitzpatrick over every QB in his level and the one above.

That means you'd take Fitzpatrick over Matt Schaub.

Yards per pass attempt is to quarterbacks as yards per rushing attempt is to running backs. Over the course of his career, Matt Schaub has averaged 7.8 yards per pass attempt. Peyton Manning's career average is 7.6 yards per attempt, and Tom Brady's average is 7.5 yards per attempt. Ryan Fitzpatrick's average is 6.3 yards per attempt. In 2010 and 2011, Fitzpatrick averaged 6.8 and 6.7 yards per attempt respectively. The idea that Ryan Fitzpatrick is in the same zip code as Matt Schaub is non-credible.

> I believe that Mark Sanchez is the only other QB in that level and the one above that has beat the Patriots.

When the Bills beat the Patriots, it was largely because of the four turnovers the defense created. Also because of the fact that the Patriots had an injury-riddled defense which was one of the worst in NFL history. The Patriots' defense dropped what could have been fairly easy INTs. Fitz played better than his usual on that particular day. But "better than Fitz's usual" is not a very high standard.

> I find it baffling that there is such a hate for Fitzpatrick.

I think Fitz is a good guy, and I wish he was a good QB. I really do. But he isn't.

Without risk, there is no chance for reward. I see JP Losman a lot like Alex Smith. Both started out on bad teams. The difference is AS was kept around until the team was able to get all the right pieces in place including the right coaches, while we cut ties with JP.

Wow, the legend of JP lives on. The guy sucked, period.

I really am not a fan of Matt Schaub. I think there is a problem when you compare his numbers to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Both of them have never had a player like Andre Johnson. So you got me on Matt Schaub, You found one guy you'd rather have in the tier above, and he did beat the Patriots in 2009. Any other? I doubt it.

Secondly, I don't think it is fair to take that win over the Patriots away from Fitzpatrick. It was a team win BUT he was playing at an elite level in the latter part of that game. Even in the beginning of the game his receiver's hands were the reasons for stalled drives and lack of scoring possibilities.

I really am not a fan of Matt Schaub. I think there is a problem when you compare his numbers to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Both of them have never had a player like Andre Johnson. So you got me on Matt Schaub, You found one guy you'd rather have in the tier above, and he did beat the Patriots in 2009. Any other? I doubt it.

Secondly, I don't think it is fair to take that win over the Patriots away from Fitzpatrick. It was a team win BUT he was playing at an elite level in the latter part of that game. Even in the beginning of the game his receiver's hands were the reasons for stalled drives and lack of scoring possibilities.

For most of his career, Peyton Manning had guys like Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Edgerrin James, and others to whom he could throw the ball. I find it difficult to believe that Matt Schaub's receiving threats were so much better than Peyton Manning's, that you can't meaningfully compare the two QBs' numbers.

The quality of Tom Brady's receiving threats has varied greatly over the years. There have been years when he's had one of the best groups of receiving threats in the league. Other years he's had nobody in particular at WR. During years when he has a good group of receiving threats, he'll typically put up much higher yards per attempt stats than in years when his receiving threats are weak. In Tom Brady's third best season he averaged 7.9 yards per attempt. In his fourth best season he averaged 7.8 yards per attempt. Those numbers are comparable to Matt Schaub's career average of 7.8 yards per pass attempt.

> Secondly, I don't think it is fair to take that win over the Patriots away from Fitzpatrick.

Tom Brady threw four INTs that day, which means he played well below his usual level. Nevertheless, Brady played well above the level at which Fitz played. Fitz threw at least as many interceptable passes as did Brady. But the Bills' secondary did a much better job of catching interceptable passes than did the Patriots' secondary. The Bills as a team made up for the fact that they didn't receive the same level of play from the QB position that the Patriots received.

> You found one guy you'd rather have in the tier above, and he did beat the Patriots in 2009. Any other?

Yes. In 2010, Alex Smith averaged 6.9 yards per attempt. Fitz averaged 6.8. In 2011, Alex Smith averaged 7.1 yards per attempt, compared to 6.7 for Fitz.

Josh Freeman's career average is 6.8 yards per attempt--the same as Fitz's best season. Andy Dalton and Christian Ponder have career averages of 6.7 yards per attempt--not bad for a couple of guys two games into their second years. Jake Locker has a career average of 7.4 yards per attempt. He's another guy I'd rather have than Fitzpatrick.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Yards per pass attempt is to quarterbacks as yards per rushing attempt is to running backs. Over the course of his career, Matt Schaub has averaged 7.8 yards per pass attempt. Peyton Manning's career average is 7.6 yards per attempt, and Tom Brady's average is 7.5 yards per attempt. Ryan Fitzpatrick's average is 6.3 yards per attempt. In 2010 and 2011, Fitzpatrick averaged 6.8 and 6.7 yards per attempt respectively. The idea that Ryan Fitzpatrick is in the same zip code as Matt Schaub is non-credible.

> I believe that Mark Sanchez is the only other QB in that level and the one above that has beat the Patriots.

When the Bills beat the Patriots, it was largely because of the four turnovers the defense created. Also because of the fact that the Patriots had an injury-riddled defense which was one of the worst in NFL history. The Patriots' defense dropped what could have been fairly easy INTs. Fitz played better than his usual on that particular day. But "better than Fitz's usual" is not a very high standard.

I think Fitz is a good guy, and I wish he was a good QB. I really do. But he isn't.

That nice, fat 9.2 YPA that Fitz put up didn't hurt against the Pats, either. That's downright elite.

GO BILLS!!!

I was a great JP supporter, but I concluded after 5 years that JP lacked the head to be a pro QB/ thats genetic and you can't coach it to get better. So, I don't think Chan could do anything with JP that wasn't already tried. JP was a nice guy, had a great arm, had some wheels, but absolutely no head for the game.

This

Cam just below the top? Did this guy watch the giants-Carolina game?

Apparently this is more a rehash of his pre-season 'rankings' than any reflection of who has played the best in 2012.

Guys like Ryan, Smith and Bradford have played better than almost all the big name QBs so far.

That nice, fat 9.2 YPA that Fitz put up didn't hurt against the Pats, either. That's downright elite.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, Fitz's numbers from that game look good. If you're going against the second-worst pass defense in NFL history--a defense riddled with injuries--and if you're using a new style of offense with which defensive coordinators have yet to catch up, elite numbers do not necessarily mean elite play. Add to that the fact that Fitz's receivers gained him 85 YAC yards on just three plays, and you have a recipe for a QB's numbers to look better than the quality of his play would warrant.

Yes, Fitz's numbers from that game look good. If you're going against the second-worst pass defense in NFL history--a defense riddled with injuries--and if you're using a new style of offense with which defensive coordinators have yet to catch up, elite numbers do not necessarily mean elite play. Add to that the fact that Fitz's receivers gained him 85 YAC yards on just three plays, and you have a recipe for a QB's numbers to look better than the quality of his play would warrant.

An excuse as to why he played well? Thats a new one

Man, you really are unbelievable. No matter how well the guy plays you will without a doubt try and nitpick apart and blame something anything and give any excuse to why Fitz happened to succeed even though you think he is gawd awful.

Does the guy have some dirt on you or something? The endless excuses you come up with shooting holes in his good play seem to suggest it. What gives? There isn't a player in any sport or a person alive that doesn't have deficiencies in something.

I am wishing the Bills drafted Cousins.

Never cared for Clausen.

I do wish they made more of a play for Quinn - I just don't think he had a enough of a chance to prove himself in Cleveland and he certainly has all the physical tools.

Fitz is decent, but he certainly isn't a positive difference maker for the Bills.