Is it safe to say our O-line is one of the best in the leage?

Billsrhody

I think it is a little early to proclaim they are the best in the league. Firstly, I don't know enough about all the other teams' lines. Secondly, as you noted, it is only week 2. Thirdly, Cordy Glenn is a rookie and we have only seen 2 regular season games out of him. Are all things looking great thus far? Absolutely. But I am going to hold off that they are the number one O-Line in the league for a number of more weeks.

There was an infamous thread last season regarding the Bills O-line and whether or not they were good.

In that thread, I kept asking the question, "well… which lines are better?"

If you want to talk about being among the best, you have to discuss what other lines are contenders.

On another point, historically speaking, we are NOT in an era of great offensive lines. There is probably not one O-line in the NFL right now which would compare to the historically great O-lines. Part of the reason for this is the continuing liberalization of free agency and the fact that you simply do not see many O-lines that have played as a unit for a significant number of years.

CBiscuit makes the point that the Bills O-line hasn't been together that long. However in today's day and age, "The Wolfpack" is actually a very continuous, stable unit.

Wood and Levitre were drafted together in 2009. Urbik was drafted the same year and joined the Bills at the very beginning of the 2010 season. Pears also joined the Bills in early 2010 as did Erik Pears.

So you have 2 guys who are into their 4th year together and all 5 of these players are going into their 3rd year together.

Only Cordy Glenn is a newcomer.

Considering the youth of the unit and the player movement in today's NFL, this is a well-seasoned, cohesive O-line.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only o-lines I can think of that come anywhere near the Bills' line are Baltimore and the Jets. Although the Jets lack a right tackle. Atlanta, Denver and Houston are in the conversation. I might've said KC before last week, but they did not impress me. New England used to be elite but they've slipped. Same with Green Bay; same with Philly - without Peters they're average at best.

That said, now is the time to lock up Levitre.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

The only o-lines I can think of that come anywhere near the Bills' line are Baltimore and the Jets. Although the Jets lack a right tackle. Atlanta, Denver and Houston are in the conversation. I might've said KC before last week, but they did not impress me. New England used to be elite but they've slipped. Same with Green Bay; same with Philly - without Peters they're average at best.

That said, now is the time to lock up Levitre.

Atlanta has alot of questions at tackle.

Baker had been a big dissapointment up to this season. he has been injured and when he has been able to play he has not been very good.

Claybough had a horrible year last year after signing his big deal. So i am not so sure i would take Atl's over Buffalo's right now.

it's certainly one of the better ones and it was last year too. unforCHANately we just throw too much. i am sure most of you heard the stat we are 5-0 when fitz throws less than 30 passes in a game.

That is because the less Fitz throws the less game changing interceptions he throws.

I think it is too early to give the Bills O-line

the best in league designation. Lets see after 3 more games.

But Eric Wood is now my favorite on the Bills roster.

esp after the interview where he talks about how much

he loves golf.

When it comes to the Buffalo Bills, it is never safe to say anything with any level of certainty :devil: . However, I have been pleasantly surprised. The loss in Week 1 was not the fault of the offensive line but I guess anytime you get blown out it is hard to say anything good about the team without blaming someone else (Fitz) for the things that went wrong. If Spiller tears Cleveland up this week and Fitz keeps his Jersey relatively clean I will be more convinced. As it is now, I would say that are doing VERY well, but I wouldn't call them the best yet.

That won't be hard to defend after a while. He threw OK last year in the first half of the season. He should unlearn everything Dave Lee taught him and he'll be fine.

Depends on whether his 2nd half decline was due to the injury or teams learning to defend him. But adding the scrambling dimension will certainly make it harder on opposing defense.

Believe it or not, it was great for this OL to have Bell at LT last season. This is because he was frequently hurt, and it forced Hairston into action. He looked VERY good last week and took snaps at both sides. If Glenn stays the course, we have 3 credible OTs. And there is even skill and depth at OG. For the Bills, this is unprecedented. As for Glenn, I try not to get too excited after 2 games, but this kid looks better than any of us had a right to expect.

I am ever so aware that this, due to the rule changes, is a passing league. But these guys are opening up extremely large holes for Spiller. A football team that can do this really can win games, especially one with a solid defensive front.

That said, after this game, the next 3 weeks will be tough. We face the Pats, and then SF and Ariz. on the road. Fitz will have to get better to keep us from falling into a hole.

It's going to be interesting, but again, having an offensive line that can punish their opponents really can win us some football games. :thumbsup:

I was under the impression that Urbik and Rinehart were RFA's after the season, but it appears they're UFA's. The Bills might be facing the prospect of losing all 3 of their top-3 OG's this off-season. And then there's the issue of Wood's durability.

I was under the impression that Urbik and Rinehart were RFA's after the season, but it appears they're UFA's. The Bills might be facing the prospect of losing all 3 of their top-3 OG's this off-season. And then there's the issue of Wood's durability.

I like to believe that they will keep at least 2 of them. Either Urbik or Rinehart would probably bite if they were offered an extension during the season, perhaps both.

Levitre will be tougher imo because you really don't want to use the franchise tag on an OG. A lot will depend on his family issues, and how much he wants to stay here. I hope he does, because he is the prototype OG for the modern NFL imo.

I know it has only been 2 weeks but this is just as much a continuation off of last year.

No sacks allowed after 2 weeks, the league leader in rushing and yards/carry. No matter how "quickly Fitz gets rid of the ball", is it safe to say that this offensive line is one of the top units in the league?

Two freakin' weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I know it has only been 2 weeks but this is just as much a continuation off of last year.

No sacks allowed after 2 weeks, the league leader in rushing and yards/carry. No matter how "quickly Fitz gets rid of the ball", is it safe to say that this offensive line is one of the top units in the league?

No.

It is safe to say, until/if Fitz has another bad game...and then the "crappy offensive" performance will be a big part of Fitz problem for that day.

First play of the second quarter last week Glenn was beaten soundly with a speed move--Fitz saw it right from the snap, ran to his right for a first down. *Yawn*

No demoralizing sack.. No chop fumble Bledsoe style with a fat lineman bumbling stumbling. No "Glenn must sit and learn" threads.

Fitz is an O-line's dream.

Two freakin' weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Who's better?

No.

Who's better?

The NFL network just did a segment last night, about the best O-lines and the Bills line was second behind the Texans, so the fans are not the only ones that think this.

Okay… Houston's in contention for the title as well.