music city mistake poll

on my blog i've had written an article about the music city mistake...  

113 members have voted

1. 1. After all those years what do you think?

• Whatever they may all say It was a forward pass period.
    • It was a lateral/backward pass.They deserved to win.
    • We were cursed anyway, Flutie 'd have won the game by three TDs
    • We were cursed anyway, Flutie 'd have won the next three Superbowls by himself.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the bodies it would clearly be a forward pass; however the rules are that it's the ball that needs to be backward or latteral; which it was. Good footage and analyses in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhONc6xC48

Let me get my crayons out i'm going to make an animation that directly contradicts their little movie.

It pains me to say/type it but it was a legal play. I saw one of those sports science pieces they do on ESPN about this play and it does show the ball does not actually go forward even though it sure looked like it did.

Frankly, I think they could have called it either way. And, if replay had existed, I don't think it would have overturned the call on the field. It was just that close.

It was awhile ago and I had a few cocktails that day but I thought the play was reviewed and upheld.

If you look at the bodies it would clearly be a forward pass; however the rules are that it's the ball that needs to be backward or latteral; which it was. Good footage and analyses in this video:

My memory is better than the evidence you present. It was a forward pass and we were robbed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fan in Chicago

One BIG thing you are forgetting about here is that Wade Phillips left too much time on the clock too. I remember watching it thinking..Titans are going to get the ball back. I didnt expect a return kick off, but I figured they would have time for at least a play. He could have run more time off the clock before he kicked the Bills final FG and Titans would have never seen the ball again...This play could have been avoided.

over time, i've mellowed on it some but right after it happened i was in a pretty foul mood and was convinced we'd been robbed. we went to a mall in nashville the next day and i bitched at everyone within a 1/4 mile including the poor store clerks. lucky no one decked me and my wife didn't drive home without me.

It pains me to say/type it but it was a legal play. I saw one of those sports science pieces they do on ESPN about this play and it does show the ball does not actually go forward even though it sure looked like it did.

It was awhile ago and I had a few cocktails that day but I thought the play was reviewed and upheld.

I thought it was before replay...

It was a forward pass. But the ref was afraid to make the right call after reviewing it, knowing he would have been killed by the crowd. And we all agree that #26 got suckered out of his lane, or he would have made the tackle....or slowed the guy down a bit.

Did the replay available show sufficient conclusive proof to overturn the call made on the field? That's the issue.

GO BILLS!!!