Not to Add Fuel to the Fire This Week but.....

BRAWNDO

My first thought was good. Someone finally came to their senses and said look, if we are gonna spend that kind of money we may as well build something new for about $600 million on the same property and tear the old one down. Build the new one across the street and then tear down the Ralph.

But then I started wondering would Cuomo be so vain as to take his shot at the inept Poloncarz by dishing out some retribution over the issue of who he supports for County Chair? Yea I can see him being that vain. He has the bully pulpit mentality.

Now I just wonder if it is simply ineptness on Albany or they feel they will dictate when to meet etc.

I just cant wait for this crap to stop and the season to start! :oops:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Wawrow is one of the crown jewels of Two Bills Drive......unlike most in here, his sources are first hand....he talks directly to the decision makers. i assume you know he is an Associated Press (AP) writer. i think it is shameful the way some folks treat others.

Papa: thanks for the kind words, and defense, though i'll suggest i might be more of a "Crown Royal" than jewel of this board, eh? :beer:

jw

"As far as the lease goes, I've posted on that before. The area loses nothing if they leave. The money people spend on the Bills will be spent on other entertainment outlets or god forbid saved for college or something. The only real problem would be what to do with the stadium. Other than that, it's a financial wash if they leave. I know, Joe beer hawker will be out of a job. So what? For 8 days a year he doesn't sell beer? Not the makings of a financial crises in my book. Call their bluff and let them leave. Where are they going to go? LA or TO? Spare me."

Kind Sir, for the past 10 years I have brought a group of 20-30 out of town buffalo fans to the game once a year, I know I am not the only one. We usually arrive Thursday and stay till Monday spending thousands of dollars in hotels, food, and festivities. You don't think that will be missed? Without the Bills we don't make that trip.

Yes, how could they live without the $$ you throw at this area? A couple nights at a Red Tree Inn and the support of some fast food restaurants for a long weekend, how the economy will suffer without that.

think about where the players live.... the $$ spent by players, coaches, wives, etc.

Who is going to fill all of those pricey homes? You don't think the economy will miss the effect of 50-60 millionaires and their families leaving all at once?

Edited by TheFunPolice

interesting read......

Are the large public expenditures on new

stadiums a good investment for cities? Does hosting a major sports team have benefits?

Although public subsidies for professional sports teams are controversial, the answer to these

questions may well be yes. In this article, Jerry Carlino and Ed Coulson report the results of their 2003 study: When quality-of-life benefits are included in the calculation, building new stadiums and hosting an NFL franchise may indeed be a good deal for cities and their residents.

http://www.phil.frb.org/research-and-data/publications/business-review/2004/q2/brq204jc.pdf

interesting read......

Are the large public expenditures on new

stadiums a good investment for cities? Does hosting a major sports team have benefits?

Although public subsidies for professional sports teams are controversial, the answer to these

questions may well be yes. In this article, Jerry Carlino and Ed Coulson report the results of their 2003 study: When quality-of-life benefits are included in the calculation, building new stadiums and hosting an NFL franchise may indeed be a good deal for cities and their residents.

http://www.phil.frb....q2/brq204jc.pdf

Quality of life benefits? These are the Bills we're talking about.

Quality of life benefits? These are the Bills we're talking about.

yes...quality of life......course, i'm a +26 year season ticket holder......cant think of too many other activities where me, my wife and son can spend time together either at a game live or around the television where everyone is actually enjoying it. hard to be in any social setting, friends or business, without the topic of the bills coming up. sure, it hurts when when lose, but our day will come again....i'll try not to overstate this, but if the bills ever left town, it would be the final nail in the coffin for this area, for many many people....

yes...quality of life......course, i'm a +26 year season ticket holder......cant think of too many other activities where me, my wife and son can spend time together either at a game live or around the television where everyone is actually enjoying it. hard to be in any social setting, friends or business, without the topic of the bills coming up. sure, it hurts when when lose, but our day will come again....i'll try not to overstate this, but if the bills ever left town, it would be the final nail in the coffin for this area, for many many people....

8 to 10 days out a a 365 day year (2.74%) is a big enough quality of life benefit to matter?

That plus there are 50,000 season ticket holders out of the population of the entire region.

I'd prefer them to stay, but the Bills going or staying means exceptionally little to the overall quality of life for most people in the area in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

8 to 10 days out a a 365 day year (2.74%) is a big enough quality of life benefit to matter?

That plus there are 50,000 season ticket holders out of the population of the entire region.

I'd prefer them to stay, but the Bills going or staying means exceptionally little to the overall quality of life for most people in the area in my opinion.

I think this is an enormously simplified statement. 8 to 10 days a year is all that they account for really? Sure game days but what about all the time invested in anything Bills related on non game days? People who have football parties that wouldn't otherwise.

I knid of get a kick out of the people who say we would spend the money anyway also. No we wouldn't. Not even close.

WNY without the Bills is hell on earth and not somewhere I want to be. It can be a great place to live, and a a really depressing place to live. Without the Bills what would it be like around here? Really? Ponder that and think about your statement of only being only 8-10 days a year around here.

And now yesterday, grandstand Chuck trying to put some spin on the one year lease yesterday saying what I was thinking that maybe they could get to a new stadium with the extension. I know he is just trying to make waves as usual but that is my goal.

I think this is an enormously simplified statement. 8 to 10 days a year is all that they account for really? Sure game days but what about all the time invested in anything Bills related on non game days? People who have football parties that wouldn't otherwise.

I knid of get a kick out of the people who say we would spend the money anyway also. No we wouldn't. Not even close.

WNY without the Bills is hell on earth and not somewhere I want to be. It can be a great place to live, and a a really depressing place to live. Without the Bills what would it be like around here? Really? Ponder that and think about your statement of only being only 8-10 days a year around here.

I can only speak for myself, but it would be exactly the same except for those 8-10 days a year.

I did overlook one thing though. My family enjoys going to camp at SJF multiple times every year. That would be missing for them as well.

Do you really think the Bills are the difference between WNY being hell on earth or not? I think you should ponder that statement a little because I think you are being just a tad over dramatic ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

It's pretty simple. When Mr. Wilson passes someone will buy the team. If that person/group wishes to keep the team in WNY I have no doubt that a deal will be done to keep them there. Having a few years left on a lease on that stadium would not keep the team in Buffalo. At most it would make the team a little less attractive to all potential buyers.

If the new owners want to stay in WNY let them negotiate their own deal. This lease extension simply is the smart move at this time. No more and no less.

Edited by CodeMonkey

It's pretty simple. When Mr. Wilson passes someone will buy the team. If that person/group wishes to keep the team in WNY I have no doubt that a deal will be done to keep them there. Having a few years left on a lease on that stadium would not keep a team in Buffalo. At most it wold make the team a little less attractive to all potential buyers.

If the new owners want to stay in WNY let them negotiate their own deal. This lease extension simply is the smart move at this time. No more and no less.

This really adds fears to my head that the team is gone once RW JR passes.

They probably are stalling and dont want a 'buyout' of a lease because that would come off the value of the team

the more portable they are, the better the price.

Agree with your statements, I just find it hard to believe that an owner who was dead set against the relocation of any franchise would allow his to move even after his death.

i dont think the bills are going anywhere.....

having said that, if the bills are worth $820 million (Forbes) in buffalo, the same franchise is probably worth 50% more ($1.2 Billion) in Los Angeles. some penalty/poison pill of $100-200 million is not going stop a group from buying and moving the team.

as long as we support our team.... demonstrated by attendance.....this team goes nowhere..... including toronto, we are the 4th largest market in the NFL. that is good enough to keep it here.