Optimists, let's hear it?

Virgil

I can appreciate the attempt to find the silver lining :)

But a couple minor points ...

1 - Greatly improved? Not so sure. But somewhat improved is fair I'd say. Once they got past the line it got ugly quick.

2 - No the Bills really did not. The Jets played soft the entire 2nd half. Spiller had that second big run and the Bills closed the gap a little. But once they got too close for Rex's comfort, the Jets scored again and also tightened up a little on D and finished it. What you saw was only garbage time scoring and a second fine run from Spiller.

4 - I have never been a Spiller proponent, and I will forever call that pick a bad one for the Bills at that time. But as I stated elsewhere, that was the first time I ever saw Spiller look like a first round running back. I hope he keeps it up (and manages to hold on to the ball better).

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who's Ridley? Shonn Greene was 27/94, averaging only 3.5 -- and one was the "long" 14 yarder in garbage time. Tebow was 5/11. Greene also had 2 fumbles, but didn't lose either of them - different game if we coudl've picked one of those up. So yeah, I'd say they shut the run down well.

My apologies must have read it on the scroll from another game. Because I remember saying who's ridley. OK oh boy we shut down the run. Too bad there are no points for doing that. Good work and a Silver star too our tackles (only). Sorry about my tude but I am still peed off at that pathetic team Gailey/wannabe/ Nix put out there.

I can appreciate the attempt to find the silver lining :)

But a couple minor points ...

1 - Greatly improved? Not so sure. But somewhat improved is fair I'd say. Once they got past the line it got ugly quick.

2 - No the Bills really did not. The Jets played soft the entire 2nd half. Spiller had that second big run and the Bills closed the gap a little. But once they got too close for Rex's comfort, the Jets scored again and also tightened up a little on D and finished it. What you saw was only garbage time scoring and a second fine run from Spiller.

4 - I have never been a Spiller proponent, and I will forever call that pick a bad one for the Bills at that time. But as I stated elsewhere, that was the first time I ever saw Spiller look like a first round running back. I hope he keeps it up (and manages to hold on to the ball better).

to point # 4. did you see spiller play last year? he didnt even have his best game sunday.

Ive had an asssful of Fitzy...I hope TJax is able to pick up this offense quickly because if that's the sort of performance we're going to get out of Ryan - and he's been crap dating back to the middle of last year - Id rather just put TJax in there and add the dimensions of mobility and a stronger arm for Graham to take advantage of.

Spilled looked great yesterday...I feel terrible for Freddy cause obviously he's a gamer, but riding CJ as the starter isn't a bad thing.

I don't like the excuses, but it seems that there may be something to Marios claim about Howard's shots to the face. I can't understand how else a game changing defensive end could possibly be that useless. So hopefully this gets fixed and we'll start getting some return on our investment starting in week 2.

Jairus Byrd and McLovin were terrible yesterday...Get well soon, Ron Brooks.

I have no problem remaining optimistic...I learned how to just change the channel to the RedZone when the Bills start to play in a mannner that causes my blood pressure to go up. (I watched a lot of Red Zone yesterday.)

to point # 4. did you see spiller play last year? he didnt even have his best game sunday.

I saw all of last season. Yesterday was the first time he waited for blocking to develop, didn't scat to the sideline at the first sign of an opponents jersey, and ran through a couple arm tackles. In short, the first time he looked like a top NFL caliber RB. Last season he had some long runs followed by 3 or 4 no gain or loss runs which made his stats look good, but that's it.

We out-gained the Jets 390 yards to 385 or something like that.

Rookie mistakes hurt us but rookies learn.

Bad refs hurt us (Mario said he had hands in his face nearly every play). The real refs will be return.

Fitz has always been inconsistent. He has good days and bad. Now that the bad day is out of the way, a good day should follow.

Bad refs hurt us (Mario said he had hands in his face nearly every play). The real refs will be return.

Bad refs always hurt the Bills, and only the Bills. At least so you would think from some on this forum.

The only way refs could have changed the outcome of that turd pile was if the replacements came from TBD.

Silver lining? Spiller and Dareus looked like men amongst boys out there. Shepherd was solid playing the middle. Barnett played a decent game. The run defense seems improved, but the pass rush hasn't shown anything yet.

Reasons for doubt? Mario didn't earn the paycheck yesterday. Kelsay put just as much pressure on the QB as MW did yesterday. Our secondary is young and very inexperienced. Moving McKelvin to the slot has not helped him learn how to cover WR's. They have to be more creative with the front 7 to get pressure. It seemed rather vanilla again with not really any stunts or too much blitzing. Sanchez chokes under pressure and makes bad throws, but he was never under any for the most part and picked us apart. And then there was Fitz...... :sick:

I don't blame Fitz for the loss. He played as I expected. I did expect the D (which has been the focus of 3 drafts and most of the offseason moves) to generate at least one 3 and out and force more than one punt.

That said...

I can't wait for the re-match where the winner goes onto the playoff and the loser goes back to NJ. :thumbsup:

The sabremetric type guys who really study football stats say turnovers are amongst the the most difficult stats to predict. A team with a good turnover ratio one year isn't highly probably to repeat their performance. Other stats are more consistent year to year, or even game to game, than turnovers. This hints that turnovers are more a consequent of luck than skill. (Just look at Jairus Byrd: 9 picks his rookie season; only 4 picks since then).

If not for the 4 turnovers, we would have been in this game. We won't give up the ball 4 times every game. Not saying Fitz is in the same league as Brady, but even Brady has had 3 & 4 pick games - even against the Bills.

Our passing game and pass defense were both bad. But our running game and run defense were both mostly good.

The Jets passing game and pass defense were good while their run defense and run offense both were problematic.

The big difference in the game was turnovers.

We won't turn the ball over 4 times every game.

I was so hammered by kick off i couldnt see straight. I chose booze over an intense analysis while watching as it turns out i made the right choice. Its kinda like a neglectful dad drinking his wages away while the children go hungry.mI was drunk and didnt care. Today I have a hangover and the Bills shat the tub but everything will be alright. "dont worry honey my next check not gonna blow it and the fridge is gonna get loaded next Sunday at 1 pm"

I do agree with you, the coaching staff doesn't play to Fitz strength which is handing the ball off!

I say that in all seriousness, CG needs to run the ball and not rely on Fitz arm to win games, just let him mange games, run the ball and hopefully the D will improve which would be impossible not to happen considering where the bar was set.

I don't blame Fitz for the loss. He played as I expected.

My optimism points:

CJ is running well, though he needs to protect the ball better.

Lee Smith can catch, even though he's just a blocker.

Kelsay can tackle when he gets to the ball.

The Offensive Line gave Fitz time to throw.... interceptions.

The run defense was ok, giving up 3ish YPC, but still gave up ~120 yards all together.

Throwing on my sunshine pumper hat:

- As others have said, it was only 1 game.

- It was a road loss to a quality opponent. These are going to happen to the best of teams. It was a game we could afford to lose.

- The team showed some pride and at least fought back in the second half.

- Spiller looked great.

Having said that, count me among the very concerned re Fitz, our WR corp, the defensive scheme, etc. I'm not as concerned as others with the secondary. It's a young group with a lot of talent. They will improve as we move through the season, and I think they can be a strength before it's all said and done.

I think a big key is we can't afford to fall behind early. Fitz obviously is incapable of carrying the load with the feeble weapons he has. We need to keep games close and run the ball as much as possible. My big worry is that Chan is incapable of adjusting his philosophy.