How Important is Week 1 for Us?

Virgil

I can understand the divisional games to close the season out so that teams do not rest their starters, but I whole heartedly

disagree with scheduling week one divisional opponents. The game is too big to have someone starting thier season with

it.This gives the home team a huge advantage in my mind, as teams sometimes early need time to get their feet under them,

so to speak. I would make all week 1 games cross-conference affairs. With that being said, we are still going to win this one,

23-20 Buffalo OT.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good teams win on the road, we will find out if this team is any good quick, Jets are better than their preseason record by far. And they beat the Bills the last two years on the line of scrimage on both sides of the ball. We may have reversed that on the D, where our studs (old and new) are healthy, and the OL is also healthy (although I have my doubt about Woods ability to go a full game, I think we will see Colin Brown some) Anyhow, this will be a tough physical game, and we need to play our best to win.

If they lose I'll be pissed off on Monday, but fine by Tuesday.

I don't buy the "they have to win to prove their good" talk. What have the hot starts given the Bills the past few years?

I think the Bills will be 4-4 or maybe even 4-5 at one point this year but for a change, actually come on strong at the end of the year. Wouldn't that be a nice change for once?

The most important part about this game is establishing a new identity for the Buffalo Bills. Last season they surprised with a pretty potent offense, but were still manhandled by physical teams and crumbled when injuries struck.

The Jets are known as bullies; a team who intimidates their opponents and uses physical play to wear them down. What I want to see is Buffalo controlling both LOS and imposing our will on NY. That's why I'm expecting to see 21 and 22 personnel on the field more often than not.

The most important part about this game is establishing a new identity for the Buffalo Bills. Last season they surprised with a pretty potent offense, but were still manhandled by physical teams and crumbled when injuries struck.

The Jets are known as bullies; a team who intimidates their opponents and uses physical play to wear them down. What I want to see is Buffalo controlling both LOS and imposing our will on NY. That's why I'm expecting to see 21 and 22 personnel on the field more often than not.

Ooh. Eball goin' all nomenclature on us.

Can't disagree, though. We had success in 2 TE sets in the second game against them last season.

GO BILLS!!!

The Jets defense killed us the first game last year by disguising the defense and luring Fitz into incorrect presnap reads. The second game, the Bills offense switched up its offensive alignment making it impossible for the Jets to key in on our predictable spread alignment. I think offensively, the Bills will mix things up, forcing the Jets D into a guessing game. Fitz will produce for us against these guys.

As for the defense, I don't think Sanchez will be ready for whats coming. He is used to having time against us. That ain't happening this time around. Easy win for us. Potential blow out.

Someone brought up a good point about the following games being affected by Jets game. And when I ask, is this an important opener, I did mean for the fans, the players, and overall psyche.

For the fans, if the Bills lose this first game, then beat the next two crap teams, are we really going to be pumped around being 2-1 going into the Pats game?

Do the fans matter, to a degree. But I really think that impact can be seen on the field.

I'm not going to say that week 1 is a must win game for us. However, the fact is that we are playing the Jets on the road, and our record is 2-6 in the last 8 games against them.

No matter how easy our schedule ends, we have to be able to win in our division and win on the road. This game will say a lot about our team to me this season. Being 0-1 hasn't bothered me in the past. But, being 0-1 in the division and losing a game that we weren't really in after the 3rd quarter....that will be a different story.

However, on the flip side, even if we blew them out, you won't see me predicting the playoffs. This is just a large indicator game to me. I'd rather win this game and lose the following week on a fluke than anything else.

Dunno, maybe it's pre-season jitters or the normal hesitation that any Bills fan feels, but I'm already nervous for week 1

Been saying all off season this is a must win. Win this game and the Bills will get a boast that might last season long.

But if they lose my feelings are gonna be hurt just like last yrs Jets game at home and we lost.

HUGE ITS FREAKING HUGE. If our D can't stop the Jets mess of an offense its going to be a long season. Our offense is also getting a good test, the Jets D is stacked. If we couldn't move the ball on them I wouldn't be worried. But if we are able to do a good job against a top 10-5 caliber Jets D then I think we could be in a good position to make the playoffs.

Its a lot on the line. Its a division game one that if we want to make the playoffs winning it would go a long way. Our D needs to dominate and our O gets a good early test. If we lose the sky won't be falling but it would be a step back.

I maintain we need to be 3-0 heading into that Pats* game week 4. Jets, Chiefs (At home), and Browns are all winable games and considering its at the Pats* week 4 going in with a 3-0 record and momentum would be huge.

HUGE ITS FREAKING HUGE. If our D can't stop the Jets mess of an offense its going to be a long season. Our offense is also getting a good test, the Jets D is stacked. If we couldn't move the ball on them I wouldn't be worried. But if we are able to do a good job against a top 10-5 caliber Jets D then I think we could be in a good position to make the playoffs.

Its a lot on the line. Its a division game one that if we want to make the playoffs winning it would go a long way. Our D needs to dominate and our O gets a good early test. If we lose the sky won't be falling but it would be a step back.

I maintain we need to be 3-0 heading into that Pats* game week 4. Jets, Chiefs (At home), and Browns are all winable games and considering its at the Pats* week 4 going in with a 3-0 record and momentum would be huge.

Yea, what he said.

I look back to 2010 and think that Fitz was able to figure out the Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, Browns defenses so well because he had played against them in the AFC north while as backup QB on the Bengals.

Fitz is a brainiac and will learn how to beat Rex Ryan's and Bill Belichick's defenses, its only a matter of time. Hopefully that time is this week :D

Fitz is a brainiac and will learn how to beat Rex Ryan's and Bill Belichick's defenses, its only a matter of time. Hopefully that time is this week :D

It isn't a matter of Fitz figuring out the defenses. Gailey has to, and construct a game plan accordingly.

And most importantly, adapt that game plan as needed during the games.

It isn't a matter of Fitz figuring out the defenses. Gailey has to, and construct a game plan accordingly.

Yep.

The rest of the league caught up to Gailey's offense in the second half of the season last year and now it's back on him to make the necessary adjustments and changes.

And if Fitz is to be the cerebral player that he's credited with being, he has to take some ownership of the offense and disagree with Gailey… the kind of creative disagreement we see from Sean Payton, Drew Brees, and Pete Carmichael in New Orleans (seen video of one of their meetings).

If there's not more than one strong voice in the room, it's NOT a good thing.

I'm not going to say that week 1 is a must win game for us. However, the fact is that we are playing the Jets on the road, and our record is 2-6 in the last 8 games against them.

No matter how easy our schedule ends, we have to be able to win in our division and win on the road. This game will say a lot about our team to me this season. Being 0-1 hasn't bothered me in the past. But, being 0-1 in the division and losing a game that we weren't really in after the 3rd quarter....that will be a different story.

However, on the flip side, even if we blew them out, you won't see me predicting the playoffs. This is just a large indicator game to me. I'd rather win this game and lose the following week on a fluke than anything else.

Dunno, maybe it's pre-season jitters or the normal hesitation that any Bills fan feels, but I'm already nervous for week 1

It is 6.25% important (1/16th). Seriously though, it is real important, it is a division game, the entire fanbase has optimism it hasn't quite had in awhile, I think the pressure is on the coaching staff and GM to put a winner on the field this year and heck, we're (fans) pretty tired of being a losing team. Edited by BuffBill

Get real, this is Chan Gailey you are talking about, did you watch the 2nd half of last season at all?

Gailey had the power to help Fitz a lot more then he has the last two years, instead he chose to mostly build the defense up...then he put the defense in hands of the most inept DC the Bills have had in the last decade.

I'm just thankful Fitz has the ability to read the defense, call the pre snap protections and change the play if needed.

Very important game. The jets are perceived to be a weak to middling team, so beating them will probably indicate where we stand in the league. Its a divisional game. Its a chance to see if we are for real or just another buffalo bills mediocre to bad team.

My prediction? Bills win by ten and begin the road to a minimum of nine wins.

If they lose I'll be pissed off on Monday, but fine by Tuesday.

I don't buy the "they have to win to prove their good" talk. What have the hot starts given the Bills the past few years?

I think the Bills will be 4-4 or maybe even 4-5 at one point this year but for a change, actually come on strong at the end of the year. Wouldn't that be a nice change for once?

How else do you prove you are good if it isn't by winning?

Get real, this is Chan Gailey you are talking about, did you watch the 2nd half of last season at all?

Gailey had the power to help Fitz a lot more then he has the last two years, instead he chose to mostly build the defense up...then he put the defense in hands of the most inept DC the Bills have had in the last decade.

I'm just thankful Fitz has the ability to read the defense, call the pre snap protections and change the play if needed.

I did see last season and Gaileys unwillingness to adapt. That is what prompted my comment above.

Fitz can't be expected to do the OCs job in real time under center every play of every game. That cannot possibly be successful.

If Gailey cannot do the OCs job effectively (and all here who proclaim him as an offensive genius sure think he can) the Bills are screwed.

That, in my opinion, will dictate how successful the Bills will be this season more than any other factor.

Edited by CodeMonkey

While this game means a lot to us, I would say it means a heck of a lot more to the Jets.

The Jets are a team that NEEDS to come out and prove that the circus atmosphere of the offseason is behind them and they are focused on winning games. They NEED to prove to their detractors that their offensive line is fine, that their Defense is still top notch. They NEED to get this first win under their belt to give Sanchez confidence and fight off the Tebow love.

Because if they don't win this game...oohh boy, that's a nightmare for them.

Unfortunately that does not put us in a good position against a team that is already starting the season with their backs up against the wall.

Edited by BillsGuyInBallstonSpa