mjd holdout question

nuklz2594

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, as he'd very possibly sit right back down

How's that going to help his cause for a new deal? Apparently, the Jags were more than willing to play this season without him, for as long as he felt like whining about his contract. That team is going to have a terrible record this season with or without him. The only leverage he has is that it will crush ticket sales more than they already are.

I say you make him pay every penny, with the understanding that if he turns in another season similar to last season (say, 1300 yards or so since he's probably going to miss some time to get into "football shape"..) then they'll work on a new contract for him. Assuming, of course, that they're THAT interested in retaining him for some sick money. Personally, I can't believe teams spend ridiculous dollars on RB's.. they're pretty replaceable.. especially for a team as untalented as Jacksonville. Better to use that money to shore up both the O'line and D'line first, IMHO.

He's not the guy you make an example of, unless you don't see a future with him. This could be a big distraction, or it could disappear. Neither side benefits from this escalating. Both would be wise to lay it to rest now. That means mjd shows up, and khan welcomes him back.

The fine produces very little good here. The guy already swallowed his pride.

Edited by NoSaint

He's not the guy you make an example of, unless you don't see a future with him. This could be a big distraction, or it could disappear. Neither side benefits from this escalating. Both would be wise to lay it to rest now. That means mjd shows up, and khan welcomes him back.

The fine produces very little good here. The guy already swallowed his pride.

Who is? Some 5th round CB that'll be in the league for 4 years total, making minmum NFL wage. I think he's the perfect player to make an example of.. Superstar player being put on notice that his team isn't going to put up with **** like this.. i.e. Mike Wallace.. Would be refreshing if the other 31 teams would follow suit, too. A long shot, I know.. but, would be nice.

make him pay every dime. if he sits out, he loses game checks. the holdout thing is ridiculous. it does not matter who the player is. he signed a contract. period. the team stunk last year and he lead league in rushing. i applaud the owner for not caving in. history shows that when rb holds out, they rarely do well. look at chris johnson.

make him pay every dime. if he sits out, he loses game checks. the holdout thing is ridiculous. it does not matter who the player is. he signed a contract. period. the team stunk last year and he lead league in rushing. i applaud the owner for not caving in. history shows that when rb holds out, they rarely do well. look at chris johnson.

Cool story. Now the reality of the situation is what does khan gain by sticking it to him 100%

A reputation of a guy that will screw overachievers if the try to stand up for themselves?

A media circus?

His best player even more disgruntled?

Khan won, mjd swallowed his pride. Based on nfl norms, him saying "oh yea I'll be taking a quarter of your salary too" would be over the top.

Khan is cheap. :D

Seriously, how would you feel if it were the Bills? This reminds me so much of the Jason Peters mess, yet no one is very sympathic to MJD like they were Peters. No one saying "pay the man!" Seems like we respond differently when it's not our team.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'll take the same stance I took with Peters. He pays the fine. If he wants to sit, more power to him, not getting paid for two years and then having been out of football for two years getting a much smaller contract.

His leverage sucks, that doesn't mean you pile on him just to prove a point. It burns bridges and makes you look bad in the future. Khan got his street cred as a firm but fair negotiator if he kills the issue now. If you kill a guy with over a million in fines that is considered a pretty solid dude and nfl good guy just to prove a point.... It can backfire very easily.

His leverage sucks, that doesn't mean you pile on him just to prove a point. It burns bridges and makes you look bad in the future. Khan got his street cred as a firm but fair negotiator if he kills the issue now. If you kill a guy with over a million in fines that is considered a pretty solid dude and nfl good guy just to prove a point.... It can backfire very easily.

What has Khan won other than a pissing contest? Jones-Drew jeopardized his teams season with his absence during work-outs, training camp and pre-season. Make the sonuvab1*#^ pay. Should serve as a warning to any other player thinking of holding out, too.. not just other Jaguars. If that became common place, then corporate sponsors would have the players to blame.. not the team.

He should pay part of it, maybe half. i don't care for the precedent thats been set with teams dismissing fines for players that holdout while under contract. in MJD's case he is being underpaid, but he signed the ext. its notnlike he's playing on his rookie deal. Players need to understand that its not their right to do this and get off scott free.

What has Khan won other than a pissing contest? Jones-Drew jeopardized his teams season with his absence during work-outs, training camp and pre-season. Make the sonuvab1*#^ pay. Should serve as a warning to any other player thinking of holding out, too.. not just other Jaguars. If that became common place, then corporate sponsors would have the players to blame.. not the team.

Yes, khan won a pissing contest. But by nfl standards making him pay a million plus in fines would be like pissing on MJD. He made it clear he's not going to cave to holdouts already. If MJD was especially a prick to the Organization, take him to the cleaners on this and then force him out the door ASAP. As is, he's a cornerstone player that they will want around. In the battle of MJD vs khan, khan won but if he pushes to hard (ie harder than any other owner pushes in tgis situation) the Fans and fellow players may start moving towards the well liked mjd's corner.

The point was made and you pick your battles. Consider forgiving the fines an olive branch/show of good faith to your star player, team in general (putting it to rest so they can go to battle at their best, today, without distraction) and fans. He got to be the tough guy and go hard line in the negotiations, and now it's time for both to put this behind.

Edited by NoSaint

Khan is cheap. :D

Seriously, how would you feel if it were the Bills? This reminds me so much of the Jason Peters mess, yet no one is very sympathic to MJD like they were Peters. No one saying "pay the man!" Seems like we respond differently when it's not our team.

PTR

One difference here is that MJD is making a lot more than Peters did when he held out. (not sticking up for Peters here, just pointing out that MJD is currently playing undera 31 million $ contract.

mjd stuck it to his team. he should have sucked it up for this season. they have a new coach. mjd could have been more a leader instead of distraction. the fine thing is expensive. perhaps mjd could donate to a charity, not 1.2 million, at least he was not as bad as bruce smith with his bs back in the day.

I thought i heard once that fines go to a charity of the player's choice... Maybe those are NFL fines and not team fines, but I thought I heard that once. Anyone know if thats the case?

Answered my own question.

http://www.sportsgeekery.com/14272/where-does-the-money-go-when-an-nfl-player-or-coach-is-fined/

Edited by The Cincinnati Kid

I thought i heard once that fines go to a charity of the player's choice... Maybe those are NFL fines and not team fines, but I thought I heard that once. Anyone know if thats the case?

Answered my own question.

http://www.sportsgee...coach-is-fined/

not sure you did; these wouldn't seem to qualify as "on the field fines"? I wonder if they stand on different footing.