Al Gore Wants To Eliminate The Electoral College

3rdnlng

Totally agree. I know many proud republicans that aren't evangelicals (Romney being one). The problem to me personally is their voices have been drowned out by the fringes -- the core of which are largely (though not completely) evangelical. I'm not at all against religion and have no qualms with people voting with their faith. I just get terrified by the thought of legislating that way.

Sort of like a lot of us with our concerns of the legislation put forth by the Global Climate Change Church.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of like a lot of us with our concerns of the legislation put forth by the Global Climate Change Church.

You mean a group of scientists.

Totally agree. I know many proud republicans that aren't evangelicals (Romney being one). The problem to me personally is their voices have been drowned out by the fringes -- the core of which are largely (though not completely) evangelical. I'm not at all against religion and have no qualms with people voting with their faith. I just get terrified by the thought of legislating that way.

That's right. In terms of influence in the party they're much greater than their #'s would imply.

"Some retard might get voted in by a popular vote?" Well Gore won the popular vote and Obama was elected. Doesn't that disprove your point that we're smarter now?

No, I like Obama and I will vote for him again, along with the majority of other American's. What will this poor PPP board do when Obama is elected again? I think Gore would have made an excellent President.

This thread, like so many others I've seen over the years, disparaging the Electoral College, is absolutely disgusting.... Where do I start? Even people on here I have respect for seem to favor it??

So.... 50% plus one, should elect the POTUS?? Didn't we learn anything from deciding that was the way to elect our Senators?

I even see folks say, well, it's eroded so far already, why not??

WTF OVER????

What happens in a society that always has majority rule?? Besides not lasting very long?? Any guesses??? No #@$% Sherlock!!!

I know, old white men wrote the Constitution.... Awfully smart old men they were, knowing, that if a majority could take over, it would be to the detriment of the minority... What is the smallest minority in America???? None of you, even the ones I thought I respected, will get that one right....

Finally... someone, anyone???? Show me where in the Constitution, that says you have the "right" to elect the POTUS??? Anyone?? Show me where it even mentions YOU as an individual has that right???

Scrap it??? Darn, I've even seen mention that maybe people weren't so smart, or had little social media back then, but whoever it was, is an idiot.... It doesn't matter if they did or didn't, because..............................

The United States of America, is a REPUBLIC!!!!!!

Not a domocracy....

I'm so tired of this bull crap...

I still would rather go with the popular vote, screw "the old white men who wrote the constitution". :nana:

Impressive argument.... so, your good with 2 people forcing a single person, to follow what they want him/her to do???

WanA

Not a comment on the electoral college debate but a general comment on the bromance so many people have with our founding fathers and the constitution itself. The framers were unlike politicians today, in a very real sense they embarked on a courageous "new science" of politics. Learned men with strong opinions often differing came to compromise and produce a real document that worked well and continues to work fine today (the ultimate credit). But all that said, anytime someone questions current system and talks of possible reform they are met with "you idiot you think you are smarter than Jefferson!?" Well...no...I don't think I or anyone else does. But I don't think that group of guys being the free thinkers and pragmatists at their core would write the same exact document today.

That said there are lot of areas for improvement in our government and the constitution itself isn't the first on the list. In some areas we could do well to get away from it a bit more, in others we should go back towards it. In any event by far the single most stupid thing we have going is term limits on all levels (state in particular). Just when someone gets competent it's time to move them out regardless of popular support b/c why? B/c he's a king? Please...term limits suck.

Not a comment on the electoral college debate but a general comment on the bromance so many people have with our founding fathers and the constitution itself. The framers were unlike politicians today, in a very real sense they embarked on a courageous "new science" of politics. Learned men with strong opinions often differing came to compromise and produce a real document that worked well and continues to work fine today (the ultimate credit). But all that said, anytime someone questions current system and talks of possible reform they are met with "you idiot you think you are smarter than Jefferson!?" Well...no...I don't think I or anyone else does. But I don't think that group of guys being the free thinkers and pragmatists at their core would write the same exact document today.

That said there are lot of areas for improvement in our government and the constitution itself isn't the first on the list. In some areas we could do well to get away from it a bit more, in others we should go back towards it. In any event by far the single most stupid thing we have going is term limits on all levels (state in particular). Just when someone gets competent it's time to move them out regardless of popular support b/c why? B/c he's a king? Please...term limits suck.

I'm smarter than Jefferson. :D

And I vastly prefer the electoral college over direct election of the President, simply because the role of the President isn't to represent the people, it's to enact and enforce the decisions of the representatives of the people (i.e. our congresscritters). The direct election of the President ultimately weakens the accountability of the President to Congress, and is the path to a more authoritarian government, which I definitely don't agree with.

You mean a group of scientists.

He sand "legislation", not "papers".

And I vastly prefer the electoral college over direct election of the President, simply because the role of the President isn't to represent the people, it's to enact and enforce the decisions of the representatives of the people (i.e. our congresscritters). The direct election of the President ultimately weakens the accountability of the President to Congress, and is the path to a more authoritarian government, which I definitely don't agree with.

More POTUS control (within limits of course) >>> Congresscritters (not) ruling the world unchecked as they battle each other and constantly worry about frequent elections

Here here! We supporters of the dictatorship unite!

Edited by TheNewBills

More POTUS control (within limits of course) >>> Congresscritters (not) ruling the world unchecked as they battle each other and constantly worry about frequent elections

Here here! We supporters of the dictatorship unite!

I'd rather have 535 dumbasses who can't even agree on lunch getting in each others' way of ruling the world, than one dumbass unhindered.

Supreme leader has a nice ring to it.

He who is to be a good ruler must have first been ruled.

Aristotle

The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

Niccolo Machiavelli

No man can stand on top because he is put there.

H. H. Vreeland

Men are governed only by serving them; the rule is without exception.

V. Cousin

He sand "legislation", not "papers".

To coin your best catch phrase! Your an idiot !

Anything worth saying, is worth saying twice right <_<

Red state, blue state, swing state. If that's how the state wants to apportion their Electoral Votes, that's up to them.

Article II Section I

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

Doesn't say anything about national popular vote, statewide popular vote, or vote by Congressional District. State Legislatures could pass a bill saying EVs are allocated by Rock Paper Scissors. Totally up to the state how they want to allocate EVs

also fails to mention anything about him being a "really nice guy"

But the federal government expansion has already pretty much done away with differences between states. Occasionally I'll hear someone choose one state based on tax rates but that's about it. So keeping the electoral college effectively disenfranchises voters from under represented states. If federal government has become so dominant in everyone's lifes, each individual voter should have a proportional say in how they're governed.

I want them out of my life, please and thank you.

, their own personal beliefs were closer to Washington's who was not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination.

why would he praise the Delaware Chiefs for following Jesus?

"You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are."

http://etext.virgini...sus&id=gw150049

Edited by Gary M