Al Gore Wants To Eliminate The Electoral College

3rdnlng

I think the electoral college vote should be dropped as well. It was put in place during a time that the popular vote couldn't be trusted to vote a legit viable candidate into the office of the president. Those days are long gone and its time to use the popular vote to represent the real choice of the American people.

Straight popular vote, and you can vote online or by text. Clay Aiken for President.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight popular vote, and you can vote online or by text. Clay Aiken for President.

I know your joking. But back in the 1700's and early 1800's it was a legit concern that some retard would get elected by the popular vote. There weren't many newspapers and most people couldn't read anyways. So it made sense to have the electoral college. In today's culture of investigative reporters, radio, television, internet there is no way an unqualified retard would get elected. It would make an interesting book to read how the world would be different if Gore was President instead of Bush.

We should scrap the electoral college with the same legislation that does away with state borders, creating an entirely new political system. Which is to say that we shouldn't. We are not a homogeneous people.

But the federal government expansion has already pretty much done away with differences between states. Occasionally I'll hear someone choose one state based on tax rates but that's about it. So keeping the electoral college effectively disenfranchises voters from under represented states. If federal government has become so dominant in everyone's lifes, each individual voter should have a proportional say in how they're governed.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

All this talk about the electoral college is informative and stirring just before the election, but let's get back to Al Gore--he's a dyed-in-the-wool doofus of the first magnitude.

Everybody loves to hate on George W Bush. But imagine a world where Al Gore was President :ph34r:

whats the point of voting if you live in major red or blue state? i agree, do an online popular vote... is that so hard?

"online vote"

:lol:

No because that would have meant that POS Joe LIEberman was VP

Are you an anti-Semite ?

Oh and what are your thoughts regarding Derek jeter? Is he earning his pay?

I know your joking. by thBut back in the 1700's and early 1800's it was a legit concern that some retard would get elected e popular vote. There weren't many newspapers and most people couldn't read anyways. So it made sense to have the electoral college. In today's culture of investigative reporters, radio, television, internet there is no way an unqualified retard would get elected. It would make an interesting book to read how the world would be different if Gore was President instead of Bush.

"Some retard might get voted in by a popular vote?" Well Gore won the popular vote and Obama was elected. Doesn't that disprove your point that we're smarter now?

Why should we be proud of our Constitution?

It was written by a bunch of dead White Capitalistic Heterosexual Christian males

Besides the fact they knew what they were doing, their cultural identity is not kosher

They weren't all Christians. Madison and Jefferson were not only skeptical of organized religion as a whole, their own personal beliefs were closer to Washington's who was not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination.

A point that the evangelical/radical wing of the GOP has all but whitewashed from the public consciousness over the past 10+ years.

They weren't all Christians. Madison and Jefferson were not only skeptical of organized religion as a whole, their own personal beliefs were closer to Washington's who was not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination.

A point that the evangelical/radical wing of the GOP has all but whitewashed from the public consciousness over the past 10+ years.

At least you call the evangelicals a "wing" of the party. Most dems think that every republican or conservative is an evangelical. At the risk of Tom putting me squarely in his sights we conservatives view the dems as all being gay. Makes about as much sense, doesn't it?

At least you call the evangelicals a "wing" of the party. Most dems think that every republican or conservative is an evangelical. At the risk of Tom putting me squarely in his sights we conservatives view the dems as all being gay. Makes about as much sense, doesn't it?

Totally agree. I know many proud republicans that aren't evangelicals (Romney being one). The problem to me personally is their voices have been drowned out by the fringes -- the core of which are largely (though not completely) evangelical. I'm not at all against religion and have no qualms with people voting with their faith. I just get terrified by the thought of legislating that way.