Bills Keep 5 WRs Including Brad Smith & TT and TJ as QBs

Reed83HOF

A renegotiation would work perfectly well here, he can be a thrid stringer with Brad no longer be counted as a QB.

I wonder if we will actually play less spread this year. The driving force with the spread was the OL, which is less of a concern now than it was 2 years ago. I can see us going with a 3WR, 2 RB offense and a 3WR 1TE offense with the personel we are keeping at their current numbers

I'm pretty sure they sign another WR after they cut Thigpen. It's possible, however, if they need a CB or something in the interim, they go with just four. If you think about it, they have plenty, because Dickserson will get some snaps, Brad Smith will, CJ and Fred Ex both will, and we still have four other guys and Chandler (and Lee Smith will play a little as they ran a lot of two TE in pre-season).

I am shocked only 5 considering we play the spread; I expect CJ will be catching passes as well.

This is most likely due to us keeping Thig. We have $2.5 million vested in him. Brad Smith is like $4 million or so and who knows what T-Jack renegotatied for. That ois a ton of $$ in in the QB position.

You think?

What is Fitz base this year? I thought it was only around $8mil? If so then you still have less money in those 4 guys then Brady, Manning, or Brees? Not to mention money tied up in their back ups.

My theory all goes out the window if Fitz is getting $12 mil or so...

But since our '4th' qb is also going to play a decent amount of wr, you have to take some of his salary and move it towards that position, right?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

people are over-reacting re: 5 WR's - that's how many dress on gameday usually, and the bills will stash 1 or 2 on the practice squad so if an injury happens they'll be called up for the next week's game........with jackson, spiller, and dickerson all available on gameday to splt out it isn't that big a deal

I'm pretty sure they sign another WR after they cut Thigpen. It's possible, however, if they need a CB or something in the interim, they go with just four. If you think about it, they have plenty, because Dickserson will get some snaps, Brad Smith will, CJ and Fred Ex both will, and we still have four other guys and Chandler (and Lee Smith will play a little as they ran a lot of two TE in pre-season).

I expect that as well, but who knows if we actually cut Thigpen? I don't want to speculate, it is possible that it goes either way.

I also expect us to grab 1 or 2 for the PS. You are right, the more I do think about it, we do have plenty. I am used to factoring injuries into the equation as well. I suppose this is what happens when you have depth as I am used to us keeping 6-7 WRs, but we are keeping 5 and 1 of them is BS. That is just 4 true WRs. I just didn't expect that :oops:

Edit: I take it back we have always kept 5 WRs

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/08/31/roster-number-history-under-gailey/

Position 2010 2011

QB 3 3

RB 4 4

WR 5 5

TE 2 (1 sus)3

OL 9 8

DL 7 7

LB 10 11

DB 10 9

ST 3 3

You think?

What is Fitz base this year? I thought it was only around $8mil? If so then you still have less money in those 4 guys then Brady, Manning, or Brees? Not to mention money tied up in their back ups.

My theory all goes out the window if Fitz is getting $12 mil or so...

But since our '4th' qb is also going to play a decent amount of wr, you have to take some of his salary and move it towards that position, right?

I should have said for the backup QB position. You are right that some of Smith's money transfers over to WR; that does make it a bit better.

I wish we had a Brady, Manning, Brees :cry:

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

At first blush I think I like it. I wanted them to keep Dickerson. They can go with 5 WR for the first couple weeks. And use Dickerson in some packages. Then as soon as TJ is ready, they cut Thigpen and re-sign another WR.

Am I wrong or doesn't Thig get his $2.5m by making the final cut tonight?

It's VERY possible, too, that they will cut Thigpen during the week and then sign him to a smaller contract before the season starts, thereby guaranteeing him a million or so versus 2.5 million.

I expect that as well, but who knows if we actually cut Thigpen? I don't want to speculate, it is possible that it goes either way.

I also expect us to grab 1 or 2 for the PS. You are right, the more I do think about it, we do have plenty. I am used to factoring injuries into the equation as well. I suppose this is what happens when you have depth as I am used to us keeping 6-7 WRs, but we are keeping 5 and 1 of them is BS. That is just 4 true WRs. I just didn't expect that :oops:

I should have said for the backup QB position. You are right that some of Smith's money transfers over to WR; that does make it a bit better.

I wish we had a Brady, Manning, Brees :cry:

me too man, me too. Ha

I still think we should have kept Easley or NR instead of Thiggy. If Brad Smith can't be our backup until T-Jack is operational, then what good is he?.

Umm, he's a wr still. And a returner. And a back. And pretty good in ST coverage. He will never be a full time qb, but he can wing it around a little bit.