Carder vs McKillop (vs Morrison)

I'm going through my own round of cuts today and this is my last one. Note that this will be a "temporary" cut, as I am keeping Thigpen for at least a game or two until Tarvaris Jackson is able to run the team in the event of an emergency.

That being said I think this cut has to be Carder or McKillop. And I'm not sure McKillop can go on the PS. I don't want to waive Carder. Morrison has looked like he's lost a step or 2 during this preseason but after Barnett I have no other veteran linebacker.

OK - I talked myself into cutting McKillop.

Thoughts?

Early in the preseason, I thought McKillop looked like he was going to be the backup MLB - after the past couple of weeks, with Morrison playing some at MLB and McKillop being in the game at the end (and not looking great) I am also thinking McKillop is out. What did you do with McGee, Easley, Gilbert, and Moore? I'm thinking Dwan might get cut for one of the young guys.

I'm going through my own round of cuts today and this is my last one. Note that this will be a "temporary" cut, as I am keeping Thigpen for at least a game or two until Tarvaris Jackson is able to run the team in the event of an emergency.

That being said I think this cut has to be Carder or McKillop. And I'm not sure McKillop can go on the PS. I don't want to waive Carder. Morrison has looked like he's lost a step or 2 during this preseason but after Barnett I have no other veteran linebacker.

Thoughts?

Carder is the newest TBD myth. The guy certainly has not looked NFL ready yet. Currently he is the 5th string MLB on the team behind Shep, Morrison, McKillop/Bradham. Carder has had almost no time in preseason games, and what time he's had has been at the very end of games against guys who aren't even likely to be on NFL rosters.

I'm not smashing Carder. I think he shows some very good instincts, and plays very quickly. He just plays very small, and has trouble tackling NFL players. If he bulks up and works on his technique he could be a good player in the future. For now he almost assured a PS spot IMO. He's basically what you'd expect from a 5th round pick. A guy that needs some development.

Unfortunately Bradham hasn't looked very good either. Too bad the post draft hype doesn't always equal reality. I thought Morrison has looked like the best MLB on the team, and McKillop has played well also. Chances are though, McKillop is out and Bradham is in.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Early in the preseason, I thought McKillop looked like he was going to be the backup MLB - after the past couple of weeks, with Morrison playing some at MLB and McKillop being in the game at the end (and not looking great) I am also thinking McKillop is out. What did you do with McGee, Easley, Gilbert, and Moore? I'm thinking Dwan might get cut for one of the young guys.

McGee is on the IR using the new exception rule.

Easley is cut but has PS eligibility so if he's still around tomorrow he's back.

I kept Moore and cut Gilbert (keeping Edwards). Gilbert is on PS if he's eligible & available.

Easley is cut but has PS eligibility so if he's still around tomorrow he's back.

I kept Moore and cut Gilbert (keeping Edwards). Gilbert is on PS if he's eligible & available.

Im not so sure Easley gets cut,(not including Stevie) besides graham our WR's have done little this preseason, Last night Easley did something, It may have not been as a WR but it was a big play, he has a big upside. He stayed on the roster this long without playing, now that he is actually healthy It doesnt seem right to cut him or place him on the practice squad to keep another player that doesnt bring anything more to the table than he does and mosr likely will still be a free agent if injuries do occur during the season.

Edited by BILLriant

Yeah, Carder hasn't done much of anything and seems buried on the depth chart. he made a play last nite, but that was after what was probably his busted assignment the previous huge play. of course Morrison would not be playing in the 4th if they were sold on him either. McKillop has easily been the most productive, even made a ST tackle so, if the games are any indicator - McKillop is the man.

Would you really use up your IR exception in McGee? You only get one chance.

I agree with you on Carder. Great instincts and ability to diagnose what's coming at him. Unfortunately he's on the small side, but I could see him taking over Scott's nickle backer role (not this year) if he can keep up with TEs.

On one play last night, McKillop got absolutely killed. Got turned around and the play went right past him. It wasn't pretty. I know it was just one play, but worth mentioning. Also, Carder may have had the best MLB play of the night, sniffing out that screen pass. Morrison just looks polished. Nothing fantastic, but I think he is the safest of the MLBs (including Sheppard).

Would you really use up your IR exception in McGee? You only get one chance.

I agree with you on Carder. Great instincts and ability to diagnose what's coming at him. Unfortunately he's on the small side, but I could see him taking over Scott's nickle backer role (not this year) if he can keep up with TEs.

actually there is a new rule this year that allows you to remove one player off of IR

Unfortunately Bradham hasn't looked very good either. Too bad the post draft hype doesn't always equal reality. I thought Morrison has looked like the best MLB on the team, and McKillop has played well also. Chances are though, McKillop is out and Bradham is in.

While Bradham might still be a bit raw, did you notice how hard he hits? Pretty much every hit he laid looked like the hardest of the night. Many guys on the receiving end were getting up in pain. He forced a fumble too (at least Tasker says he did). He looks like one of the most athletic guys on the team. I was impressed. But yeah, I agree with Morrison being the best MLB right now.

Thoughts?

I thought McKillop looked ok early, but not the past two games. He's a liability in the passing game. I think they realize they needed a backup to Shep for that 3LB package, and they found that Morrison can adequately fill that role. I think we'll mostly see a pass-defense LB package of Moats, Barnett, and Scott.

While Bradham might still be a bit raw, did you notice how hard he hits? Pretty much every hit he laid looked like the hardest of the night. Many guys on the receiving end were getting up in pain. He forced a fumble too (at least Tasker says he did). He looks like one of the most athletic guys on the team. I was impressed. But yeah, I agree with Morrison being the best MLB right now.

Even better about Bradham is that as soon as he finishes laying somebody out, he gets up looking like he can't wait for the next play and is ready to kill the next guy in an opposite color uniform who even ventures near him. He seems to play with a ton of fire.

Carder is the newest TBD myth. The guy certainly has not looked NFL ready yet. Currently he is the 5th string MLB on the team behind Shep, Morrison, McKillop/Bradham. Carder has had almost no time in preseason games, and what time he's had has been at the very end of games against guys who aren't even likely to be on NFL rosters.

I'm not smashing Carder. I think he shows some very good instincts, and plays very quickly. He just plays very small, and has trouble tackling NFL players. If he bulks up and works on his technique he could be a good player in the future. For now he almost assured a PS spot IMO. He's basically what you'd expect from a 5th round pick. A guy that needs some development.

I agree with what you have said. I'd keep McKilop. Scary that Morrison has looked like the best MLB on the team.

Even better about Bradham is that as soon as he finishes laying somebody out, he gets up looking like he can't wait for the next play and is ready to kill the next guy in an opposite color uniform who even ventures near him. He seems to play with a ton of fire.

I keep Bradham also. I guess Carder gets cut, hopefully ends up on practice squad. He looks like it will be another 1-2 years till he's ready, we need help NOW at LB.

actually there is a new rule this year that allows you to remove one player off of IR

Yeah, but would you use that one spot on McGee? To ask the question another way: Is McGee good enough that you use your only exemption on him? I don't want to go into the what if game but we know that there will be injuries to some critical player at some point. Don't you try to hold on to that?