Not a Debbie Downer but...

McD

Luxy... C'mon brother, we all know the 90's Bills OWNED the 1st qtr of their games and didn't give a damn about the outcome. I've not seen a dominating performance yet by our O. Honestly, I could care less what the rest of the League does in the preseason. We know the Pats will be fine, we know the Fins will struggle, but the "Jest" are still a mystery.

I agree we added talent, but I played football, I coach football, I know football. We need some better QB, WR and LB play, or we too will struggle. Brady will KILL our soft middle as will the rest of the league, then we're asking Fitz to light it up all season long....? That's a concern to me.

Do I understand this right? Since you played, coached and know football, your evaluation of the Bills is superior to everyone else's here? Because none of the rest of us have ever played or coached football and don't know it?

Yikes, I hope I misunderstand.

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times are we going to see threads like this?

Until we make the playoffs. My assessment is sound, what have they shown you this preseason? Homer it up all you want, but I expect more from this team. Until they play/win consistently, why shouldn't we look for areas of improvement? Fair enough?

Do I understand this right? Since you played, coached and know football, your evaluation of the Bills is superior to everyone else's here? Because none of the rest of us have ever played or coached football and don't know it?

Yikes, I hope I misunderstand.

Yes, you misunderstand. Nowhere did I ever say it was "superior" to anyone. Holy Bucky Gleason Batman...!

Some people act like if we don't go undefeated in pre season we are doomed..! Lets think about this, we haven't seen the bread and butter offense that we ran last year where we would stack the receivers in a bunch and send Stevie in motion at times. i haven't seen stevie in motion yet, and I seen the bunch receiver set one time 2 weeks ago with the secon string. We have seen maybe 2 or 3 screens all preseason and those were also our bread and butter last year..On defense I have seen 1 blitz last game where Barnett came off the edge and got a hit on big Ben to force an incompletion. We haven't seen Gilmore rush the passer, or Moats/ Sheppard/Wilson...! Do you think we are just going to go out there and show our defensive stratigy to the entire league before we play a meaningful game.? We have 3 new players on defense and a new corridnator, we don't want teams to figure us out in the pre season... As for Offense, I watched the game again last night, we did a good job on offense, Pittsburg scored off Spillers fumbale around the 20 yard line on a basic zone package we were playing, heck Pittsburg got sick of us moving the ball and started blitzing 2 guys at a time, do you think we were ready for that in a preseason game.? Not me, I bet we figured they would just play there base defense also, but they didn't, they threw the house at us after the first 2 drives and we got caught sticking to our plan of keeping it simple in the pre season..There is no need to worry, Fitz did exactly what he was supposed to do, manage the game, don't turn the ball over, keep it simple, and make the right reads..simple as that.

Edited by mikef272002

Some people act like if we don't go undefeated in pre season we are doomed..! Lets think about this, we haven't seen the bread and butter offense that we ran last year where we would stack the receivers in a bunch and send Stevie in motion at times. i haven't seen stevie in motion yet, and I seen the bunch receiver set one time 2 weeks ago with the secon string. We have seen maybe 2 or 3 screens all preseason and those were also our bread and butter last year..On defense I have seen 1 blitz last game where Barnett came off the edge and got a hit on big Ben to force an incompletion. We haven't seen Gilmore rush the passer, or Moats/ Sheppard/Wilson...! Do you think we are just going to go out there and show our defensive stratigy to the entire league before we play a meaningful game.? We have 3 new players on defense and a new corridnator, we don't want teams to figure us out in the pre season... As for Offense, I watched the game again last night, we did a good job on offense, Pittsburg scored off Spillers fumbale around the 20 yard line on a basic zone package we were playing, heck Pittsburg got sick of us moving the ball and started blitzing 2 guys at a time, do you think we were ready for that in a preseason game.? Not me, I bet we figured they would just play there base defense also, but they didn't, they threw the house at us after the first 2 drives and we got caught sticking to our plan of keeping it simple in the pre season..There is no need to worry, Fitz did exactly what he was supposed to do, manage the game, don't turn the ball over, keep it simple, and make the right reads..simple as that.

Lol, I don't put any stock into wins and losses in the preseason. I want effectiveness and consistency. Although the O did "well" in the 1st qtr of the Pitt game, that's been about it. You mention the O being vanilla... well of course they are, but then again opposing defenses have been vanilla as well tit for tat there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "worried", as I still don't think this team is where it needs to be to make the playoffs. You mention Stevie... well great, but who steps up for him if he goes down? I'm not sure if we have that depth yet. The LB corps is suspect, but I do hope they've been limited in their roles/packages this preseason and the 'Stache adds a new dimension. Key to me... Fitz playing sound, running game excels, no turnovers on O, D-Line in the face of the QB AND playing stout against the run (draws or screens could be an issue), DB depth (limited injuries), and I feel most importantly, the LB's improving each week. They need to be able to run with TE's/RB's and slot WR's all while effectively helping the run D. Again... we'll see...

Lol, I don't put any stock into wins and losses in the preseason. I want effectiveness and consistency. Although the O did "well" in the 1st qtr of the Pitt game, that's been about it. You mention the O being vanilla... well of course they are, but then again opposing defenses have been vanilla as well tit for tat there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "worried", as I still don't think this team is where it needs to be to make the playoffs. You mention Stevie... well great, but who steps up for him if he goes down? I'm not sure if we have that depth yet. The LB corps is suspect, but I do hope they've been limited in their roles/packages this preseason and the 'Stache adds a new dimension. Key to me... Fitz playing sound, running game excels, no turnovers on O, D-Line in the face of the QB AND playing stout against the run (draws or screens could be an issue), DB depth (limited injuries), and I feel most importantly, the LB's improving each week. They need to be able to run with TE's/RB's and slot WR's all while effectively helping the run D. Again... we'll see...

You can say that about pretty much any team about the number one reciever going down, If Calvin Johnson goes down for Detriot is there another Calvin Johnson on the team.? Same with Larry Fitzgerald and so on.. And I think defenses have been running alot more packages than you think, look at the Pittsburg and minn. game, they blitzed alot, had saftie blitzes, ran stunts on the line, and dropped ends into coverage..Pittsburg don't care cause there Pittsburg and they have the same defense every year, teams know what there going to ty and do..I do agree that our LB's better step up there game on the run game, but again we are just playing basic defense, does anyone really give 100% every play in the pre season.? I doubt it, maybe 70% of the time they go full speed, but if there locked in as a starter then they take plays off to stay healthy..For example against Minn. Stevie jogged on a route and Fitz over threw the ball cause Stevie pulled up, he didnt think the ball was coming his way and relaxed, in the regular season that would have been a catch, Stevies not going to pull up in the regular season..I could go on and on, but I think we are all pretty much on the same page, It's pre season, and I'm not worried one bit, I think we crush the Jets, I don't think they will be able to run the ball and we wil score 24 points, 10 of them coming off turn overs..They try to get crazy and put Tebow in to spark the crowd and the offense but we sack him, Sanchez goes back in nad has to throw the ball, but can't..We win 24-6..Jets still wthout a touchdown.!

As much as I hate the term 'vanilla,' that's just what the Bills offense planned to be this preseason. You really think that we wanted to show plays we plan on using during the season? Run the ball up the middle and throw short to intermediate passes to work on run blocking and timing. I'll start to worry after game 1 if we look terrible.

Another reason why we didn't use CJ or Fred that much. A lot of our offense will ride on them and the plays designed for them, whether it be screen plays, pass protection, splitting them wide to open the defense. Didn't see much of that at all this preseason when that was a big part and bright spot of our offense last year.

Getting a two-fer week 1 will be huge to set up the season and start the chant for McElroy since Tebow sucks.

... After seeing the preseason, I'm not as excited for this season as I was a month ago. I'm hoping that the "Chan Gang" can work out some kinks and cover their weak spots, but until I see it I'm not convinced. I was thinking a 9 or 10 win season was doable, but now I'm thinking 7 or 8 is more realistic. We still need another WR threat and better QB and LB play. I'm just not thinking that it will automatically appear week 1.

Any thoughts to the possibility that we get things straightened out before the "Jest" game?

McD

Let's let our starters play a whole game first. I'm guessing against the Jets that Fred Jackson and Spiller will be set up in good matchups and be given the ball much more than they were in preseason. Jackson carrying 18-20 times as opposed to 2-3 will make a big difference.

As much as I hate the term 'vanilla,' that's just what the Bills offense planned to be this preseason. You really think that we wanted to show plays we plan on using during the season? Run the ball up the middle and throw short to intermediate passes to work on run blocking and timing. I'll start to worry after game 1 if we look terrible.

Another reason why we didn't use CJ or Fred that much. A lot of our offense will ride on them and the plays designed for them, whether it be screen plays, pass protection, splitting them wide to open the defense. Didn't see much of that at all this preseason when that was a big part and bright spot of our offense last year.

Getting a two-fer week 1 will be huge to set up the season and start the chant for McElroy since Tebow sucks.

I'm not really that worried about the play calling and/or the run game. But the run game will rely on Fitz's ability to throw as well. The LB play is my other major concern.

Hopefully every other person that has posted something similar is reading this, so I can say once and for all, that these ridiculous posts are almost infuriating! When will you people (negative nancies & debbie downers) wake the *F up and realize that Pre Season means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! FFS!!

Yes, you misunderstand. Nowhere did I ever say it was "superior" to anyone. Holy Bucky Gleason Batman...!

My apologies then.

I agree the Bills need better QB & WR play. Yet the Bills averaged around 30 points per game for the first 7 games last year. Even with our talent limitations, we put up points until the wheels fell of the wagon either because of (1) injuries, or (2) defenses figured us out. Even if you subscribe to #2, you have to admit #1 was a contributor as well. I don't think the Bills will have a great O this year exactly because of your concerns (WR and QB) and I have my own concerns about the O Line. But, for all that, we ought to have a competent offense. Gailey proved early last year what he's capable of even without a bevy of Pro Bowlers.

It's really hard to evaluate our defense which has been vanilla in preseason. It might be that, once the regular season starts, Wanny's schemes don't allow the middle to be as weak as you think. Good coordinators make players look better.

You said the Jets are a mystery. I think to an extant - especially regards to our defense - we are too. Not only do we have a new coordinator and a new scheme, we have new players as well. Like many fans, I'm hoping for great things from our D and there are facts and reasons to justify this hope. But until the season starts, we just don't know.

The arguments in favor of pessimism just aren't compelling enough for me. Instead I choose to be optimistic - because maybe this is the only time of year I can be!

... After seeing the preseason, I'm not as excited for this season as I was a month ago. I'm hoping that the "Chan Gang" can work out some kinks and cover their weak spots, but until I see it I'm not convinced. I was thinking a 9 or 10 win season was doable, but now I'm thinking 7 or 8 is more realistic. We still need another WR threat and better QB and LB play. I'm just not thinking that it will automatically appear week 1.

Any thoughts to the possibility that we get things straightened out before the "Jest" game?

McD

If we lose week 1 in a competitive game, hopefully our fans won't start talking draft right away for next year. If they get blown out against the Jets in week 1 then I would be very concerned. A lot of the optimism would change quickly.

YOU CAN NOT JUDGE THE NFL UNTIL THEY PLAY FOR REAL!!!!!!!

Chan and Buddy judged Vince Young and Shawne Merriman before they played for real. Personnel decisions are being made even though the end result doesn't matter. And so, it's conceivable that a fan could be concerned as well despite not being a personnel evaluator.

I'm not really that worried about the play calling and/or the run game. But the run game will rely on Fitz's ability to throw as well. The LB play is my other major concern.

I noticed that David Nelson's long catch came right after 2 nice back to back Fred Jackson runs. I watched a rerun of the Steelers game last night. The Bills looked dominate the first half of that game.

I also noticed Fred running to the right a lot even though Pears is sitting. Little things like that kind of stand out because it seems that the play call was more about evaluation than a real attempt to fool the defense.

Hopefully every other person that has posted something similar is reading this, so I can say once and for all, that these ridiculous posts are almost infuriating! When will you people (negative nancies & debbie downers) wake the *F up and realize that Pre Season means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! FFS!!

Really?

McD

I actually am really excited for the season....you have to base pre season on

- The teams you are playing

- When the starters are in

- INJURIES

We are coming out of this preseason pretty much starter injury free.....

Our running game was clicking against a very good steeler D in the last game

Our rookie LT is already playing better then Bell was

Do I really need to say anything about our D line? They are DOMINATING

Fitz.....despite his hiccups against a ridiculous blitz package in pre season made some nice throws when he had time

I dont base pre season games on wins and losses.....you cant do that because teams are mixing things up evaluating players after a certain point in the game.

Luxy... C'mon brother, we all know the 90's Bills OWNED the 1st qtr of their games and didn't give a damn about the outcome. I've not seen a dominating performance yet by our O. Honestly, I could care less what the rest of the League does in the preseason. We know the Pats will be fine, we know the Fins will struggle, but the "Jest" are still a mystery.

I agree we added talent, but I played football, I coach football, I know football. We need some better QB, WR and LB play, or we too will struggle. Brady will KILL our soft middle as will the rest of the league, then we're asking Fitz to light it up all season long....? That's a concern to me.

McD.....I really dont think you see the same defensive package against Brady as you do the other QB's........

- They still dont have a stud RB.....and will put it on Brady's shoulders. We didnt run it much in pre season but honestly you are gonna see a lot of "insert safety take out lb" sets to counter Brady's short game.......you are gonna see guys like Searcy rather then Shep......and they are gonna let that D line squeeze Brady up front. Brady doesn't have a great O line in front of him to begin with this year and TE's are gonna have to stay in and help against our D.

You really cant judge anything off of pre season......Gailey has kept things pretty vanilla. Despite all that our running game looks very good.

McD

If preseason is an indicator of how a team will fare in the season, then we are in great position. We should be competing for the division based on how poor NE, Miami, and the Jets have looked as well.

Let's not get to down on the team just yet. Preseason was depressing last year too. We all saw what happened after that. I'd rather not go 4-0 in preseason, and still get a top 5 pick I'm the 2013 draft. It's JUST preseason. I'd almost rather a slow start and work up to form mid season, than blow their load in the first four, or five games.

I'm not "down" on the team... I feel we're better than last years team, but saying that I still feel that we're not as far along as I first surmised we might be. I'm adjusting my expectations, but my hope for a good/improved season will still be there.