Have you adjusted your expectations based on preseason?

zow2

Not really. Pre season for the offense seemed to be, as it should, the trying out of a variety of looks and options. We didn't do much running, the lines seemed to be coming along. A little concern about Fitz's passing might be justified, but I want to see what he does when it counts. I'm still counting on nine wins from this team.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to be concerned about the offense:

Offensive Improvements from 2011 to 2012 --

• Roscoe replaced by a younger Roscoe - upgrade - too soon to tell
  • number 2 WR still missing in action - upgrade no
  • number 2 TE still MIA - upgrade no
  • number 2 QB was MIA but just picked TJ 13 days before season opener - upgrade yes - FItzh has to last a month
  • C - Wood partially returned to health - OL is good when he is in, bad when he is not.
  • Rookie to start at LT -- upgrade yes but will have growing pains
  • Freddy healthy, Spiller set for a big year - upgrade - if we get 16 games from Freddy
  • B. Smith to be unleashed -- We are better off with a prepared Smith
  • Better defense and better kick offs are going to help this unit more than the changes made on offense

Yes, I now expect approximately 99% of this board to be completely irrational, whereas previously I expected that number to be in the mid 80's.

Exactly. I'm ready for a 1-15 Bills Campaign for 2012 the way they play football games...

I don't care about preseason. Would you rather have won that game and lost your number one draft choice, or get gobsmacked and come out of the game healthy?

I think they have run a bunch of bland plays to evaluate talent. Notice that the result of that was the release of Vince Young, and the acquisition of Jackson. And the 9 cuts were made with knowledge gleaned from these games. I hope we can get to the opener without losing any starters.

Jesus H Christmas! Must you ALWAYS be such a wet blanket around here? Can't we just enjoy our mosh pit of misery without your insipid ray of sunshine posts?

GO BILLS!!!

:lol:

Yes, I apologize for such obnoxiously positve outbursts - having already accumulated a very well-publicized 4 "warning points", I should be more careful with my relentless displays of unbridled optimism :flirt:

I'll try my best to be miserable as I watch Thursday's final preseason game from the confines of my bed at Roswell Park hospital, and post nothing but prophecies of doom on Friday.

However, I must warn everyone in advance - my morphine-induced stupor is likely to mitigate all that unbearable discomfort caused by errant passes and missed tackles...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

:lol:

Yes, I apologize for such obnoxiously positve outbursts - having already accumulated a very well-publicized 4 "warning points", I should be more careful with my relentless displays of unbridled optimism :flirt:

I'll try my best to be miserable as I watch Thursday's final preseason game from the confines of my bed at Roswell Park hospital, and post nothing but prophecies of doom on Friday.

However, I must warn everyone in advance - my morphine-induced stupor is likely to mitigate all that unbearable discomfort caused by errant passes and missed tackles...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

God speed, you miserable cuss. Get better quick!

GO BILLS!!!

I have a little. Just from what I've seen i don't think the Bills offense will be much better than last year. Remember, they had some great offensive games (KC, NE, Oak) to name a few.

It all falls on the defense. If they can upgrade to a top 12 overall defense leaguewide, then this team has a chance to be a wild card contender. If they continue to give up chunk plays on 3rd down and NOT win the turnover battle then it will be a tough year. The young DB's and not so active LB's could doom them.

On July 1st I thought 10-6 was very realistic. Unfortunately they look more like a 7-9 team to me right now.

No one fears the Bills on their schedule and every team will take defensive liberties on Fitz and blitz like crazy to disrupt the pass happy offense.

This offseason is not nearly as bad as 09 when we dealt our starting LT and then fired our OC a week before the season started - that worked out okay, we put together a strong of road wins mid year to get into the playoff race and ended up with six big wins (so my expectations have become somewhat deflated).

Yes, I now expect approximately 99% of this board to be completely irrational, whereas previously I expected that number to be in the mid 80's.

It's like you wish you forcibly could sign everybody up for an NFL rewind account....make them watch the "coach's film" (which is watching the game from the endzone), analyze each play and write it up, find the things they don't get right, make them re-watch the play, and write it up again, consolidate all of that into a gameplan analysis and rate who won the physical game, who coached a better game, etc....

.....and only then allow them to post here.

I think I could do the money part...but I just don't have the time. :lol:

EDIT: Well, that, and I can't solve idiocy/never played sports/don't know spatial relationships/Madden problems.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Fred is what makes the Bills fun for me. Now looks like the D line also is a blast to watch. Can't wait till the 9th.

I paid exclusive attention to Mario on the first couple of series Saturday. He was bringing it. I'm hoping Anderson has a career year. Kelsay, well he didn't hurt us out there, but the other 3 were monsters. I think the D-line plans on living up too all the hype.

Go Bills.

I rarely put too much stock in the preseason; however, to deny there aren't a few troublesome aspects to the Bills' game goes against reason.

I've watched most of the preseason games from every team, and that thing that sticks out the most is that Bills' offense is not crisp, and I would have to imagine it's a threefold problem... in this order: 1) wide receivers, 2) Fitz and 3) o-line.

No matter how you slice it, the WR issue is going to be a problem all year long. These guys do not have the talent to get open regularly, and that's going to cause Fitz to try and squeeze stuff in that he should not. The guy is not accurate after 15-yards to begin with, so this just worsens it. This quick pass routine can maybe hold-up in the first couple weeks, but when push comes to shove, I don't trust our WRs. Yeah, Stevie will get his 1000 yes this year, but that's mostly due to that fact he's the only viable option Fitz has.

And with the WRs being pretty weak this year for the Bills, I just see a domino effect happening... o-line not holding up b/c WRs not getting open, Fitz throwing interceptions, etc. An all-pro WR can change a whole team around, even with a marginally good QB... too bad the Bills just don't have one quite yet. So, with all of that said, run the ball.

I paid exclusive attention to Mario on the first couple of series Saturday. He was bringing it. I'm hoping Anderson has a career year. Kelsay, well he didn't hurt us out there, but the other 3 were monsters. I think the D-line plans on living up too all the hype.

Go Bills.

I thought the d line was a joy to watch[unlike some here who think Mario should drop into coverage same time he's tying up two OL men] Why did you not like Kelsay? I thought he was quick as lightening.

I thought the d line was a joy to watch[unlike some here who think Mario should drop into coverage same time he's tying up two OL men] Why did you not like Kelsay? I thought he was quick as lightening.

Well, truthfully I didn't pay a lot of attention too him. Hopefully being out there with the others will open it up for him too this year. One more thing Kyle Williams is looking like he is back too form. I'm with you though. Watching fred and the D-line alone will be worth the price of admission this year. Also, SJ13 did drop a few, but I always give him credit for taking the punishment he does in the middle of the field. He's fearless.

The pre-season has not changed my opinion that our WR's and LB's are horrible. As groups they are bottom feedersin the NFL. Add in the TE's and it only gets worse. If I had confidence Fitz or Gailey could make a difference I wouldn't worry so much but I do not. Gailey has not shown the ability to stop throwing and just run the ball. What has not changed is my opinion of the very workable schedule. If they can steam roll the Jets opening week, get on a roll, and keep the O-line healthy they can make the playoffs.

The offense will tank and it will be the result of Gailey trying to force the pass and not using the run game effectively. Especially when down. Fitz will also prove his level of mediocre play, yet Gailey won't abandon his ship. Drowning to a paltry 4-4 at the mid way mark. The defense will wear down as it typically does and the spent money will prove to be nothing more then a terrific spending spree amounting to another third place finish.

To bad the Destroyers skipped town.

Well, truthfully I didn't pay a lot of attention too him. Hopefully being out there with the others will open it up for him too this year. One more thing Kyle Williams is looking like he is back too form. I'm with you though. Watching fred and the D-line alone will be worth the price of admission this year. Also, SJ13 did drop a few, but I always give him credit for taking the punishment he does in the middle of the field. He's fearless.

OK this is a lot to read in a half of a pre season but as I saw it: DL a wall. LB's free to bust in and make tackles at LOS, rather then have a runner in their face 5 yard's downfield at the snap. I don't see a lot of D line sacks but I see them freeing up others to run in.

We shall see. put Fritz on a leash and let Fred Carry the load on offence, and D does the rest. I've see it before. 70's steelers come to mind.

Not at all...because I've been realistic about it from the start. I was virtually tarred and feathered by this group recently for daring to be skeptical about their optimistic prediction of 11-5 (for example) records.

The Bills have a backup QB as their starter and have (maybe) 1 top tier WR. Their best WR is the same guy who dropped an easy touchdown against Steelers a couple of years ago that would have likely won the Bills the game.

The offensive line is still a work in progress with a starting 2nd round pick rookie left tackle starting and protecting the blind side of the average QB.

If our average QB goes down, the QB situation starts harkening the days of Vince Ferragamo, Joe Dufek, Matt Kofler, and a bunch of other footnotes in Bills QB history. We'll begging for Rob Johnson to come back (did I actually just say that?)

Our D-line appears formidable. What's not to like.

Linebacking is very average. Sure could use a Ray Lewis, Urlacher, Matthews type of presence.

If the preseason games are any indication, our DB situation is far from perfect. A rookie corner and a 2nd year corner still trying to learn coverage are not keeping opposing offenses awake at night. Their success may rely greatly on the effectiveness of the revamped D-line.

Coaching? Who knows? Gailey certainly has plenty of experience, but how many champeenship rings is he flaunting?

I don't know that he's much more than a good coach. Great coaches win superbowls.

I see a team that should finish with 7 or 8 wins - just enough to keep them from being in position to draft a decent QB.