Comments from Gailey, O-line: cause for concern?

I am, generally, able to ignore most of the preseason prognosticating on TBD because I buy into the notion that the team is making adjustments, not showing their hand, pretty vanilla, etc. However, considering the comments coming from Levitre, Wood, and Gailey just prior to the game of the preseason for the starting unit, I've got to confess to being a bit worried. Your thoughts?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article1019741.ece?two-bills-drive

To be more specific, it was this quote from Levitre that caused the concern:

"I don't know when it's going to click," Levitre said. "We only have a week, and it's not like you can just flip a switch."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, no need to worry. Why would you listen to coaches and players? What do they know? Just listen to the people on this board and their expansive brainwashed knowledge about it "just being preseason".

Here is the true test. The Bills (yes, coached and players) have come out and said they have been game planning for the Pittsburgh game in great detail. Time for them to step up and show us something. Perfect example was Green Bay last night. Their offense did not do much over the first two preseason games and got it into gear last night....and dont use "we are not Green Bay"....you need to be able to compete with teams such as that if you plan on making the playoffs.

I am, generally, able to ignore most of the preseason prognosticating on TBD because I buy into the notion that the team is making adjustments, not showing their hand, pretty vanilla, etc. However, considering the comments coming from Levitre, Wood, and Gailey just prior to the game of the preseason for the starting unit, I've got to confess to being a bit worried. Your thoughts?

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

"I don't know when it's going to click," Levitre said. "We only have a week, and it's not like you can just flip a switch."

I've been worried about this O-line since the first time I saw them this offseason...Not so much the interior, as the outside...

Pears was solid last year, and is coming of injury. It seems likely he won't be an early contributor this season. That puts Hairston at RT, I thought he would be great there, but so far it seems he's really struggling.

At left tackle you have Glenn, a big promising LT, but one that was thought of by "experts" as a guy that wasn't suited to LT in the NFL. So far he has been up and down, which you would expect for a rookie.

With so much uncertainty at the two most import positions on the line, I think it's reasonable to be a little concerned...This is where it's really nice to have Fitz at QB though, he has one of the quickest releases in the game and is probably best suited to make the best of any issues. The other positive, is that these guys are young, so you would expect to see improvement as the year goes on.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Here is the true test. The Bills (yes, coached and players) have come out and said they have been game planning for the Pittsburgh game in great detail. Time for them to step up and show us something. Perfect example was Green Bay last night. Their offense did not do much over the first two preseason games and got it into gear last night....and dont use "we are not Green Bay"....you need to be able to compete with teams such as that if you plan on making the playoffs.

I agree. This game will be a very good indication of exactly how much the Bills have improved over the past 2 ChaNix teams. No more valid excuses.

Edited by CodeMonkey

It seems like one big, on purpose set-up. The O-line is worrisome now. Lindell is frustrated with missing FG's in practice. Stevie has a sore groin. They had to practice a game week better.. Fans worry and overreact, Jets think they will have an easy opener then BOOM! goes the dynamite on 9/9.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

LOL

No, it's just preseason. The statements really didn't occur and they don't mean anything.

The OL will be playing lights out ball come week 1.

Levitre's also obviously delusional since he seems to think that the preseason has any meaning.

You'll find quite a bit of backing for that here.

LOL

Nah, no need to worry. Why would you listen to coaches and players? What do they know? Just listen to the people on this board and their expansive brainwashed knowledge about it "just being preseason".

Great point, and there's not much difference between the Packers offense last year and the Bills. Good observation.

All I know is that good coaching will have Gailey resting his starters in the 4th preseason game rather than playing them so that they don't get hurt and can come out and lead the team to 10 points/game fully healthy. I mean why would he want to use that 4th preseason game to play them to have one last attempt to develop some chemistry and effectiveness. That would be a bad coach, BAD coach, for risking the players on this superstar offense to get injured.

LOL

You'll know who gets it when the fingers begin pointing back at Nix and Gailey.

That would be very scary for me as a Bills fan if these professional athletes at the NFL level need that to motivate or focus them.

And again, BINGO!!! You hit that nail right on the head, but you forgot to add coaching into the mix. A good coach would have them focused. You can draw your own conclusions after that.

As for me, I'm just curious who the new coach will be? The suspense is killing me!

Could be an assistant from the Rams maybe? Or a college coach that coaches a D-II team? Or maybe Norv Turner? I'm tingling with excitement.

Then of course the GM, who's that going to be? Maybe they'll upgrade and get someone that works tickets for the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

All I know is that whomever they are, they'll know more than any of us here. LOL

They are men, not machines, and yes, they do need motivation.

That's called coaching. Again, everyone is left to draw their own conclusions. The picture should clear up substantially by the bye week tho for those late to the party.

As well, no need to panic. Remember, this is only preseason and means nothing. So these guys should be able to party until week one when they'll come running out of the tunnel (in NY) to play like the top 5 playoff teams this season.

We know this because so many people are saying that they can make the playoffs.

So nothin' to worry about.

For what little entertainment value the team provides on the field, there sure is a high degree of it in the regional media and in forums.

You have two players with limited playing time due to injury plus a rookie on your starting line. It's not surprising they aren't in sync yet.

PTR

Yup, which is why I am looking forward to tomorrow night. If they don't show up in that game the chances they will for week 1 in NJ are somewhere between slim and none.

Personally I saw improvement from the first game to the second, particularly in the offense. I fully expect the offense to look like the offense of last season tomorrow night.

Uh-oh, somebody needs to tell this to Mike in Syracuse.

Really? Because there's no difference in the preparation and intensity level between the preseason and regular season? Come on Beerball, you know better than that. Weren't people crying about the same thing last year then they went on the road and kicked the **** out of KC.

So what happens if the 1st team goes out and kicks the **** out of the Steelers on Saturday? Should I buy my superbowl tickets?

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Maybe Levitre and the line are putting pressure and expectations upon themselves as a way to motivate and focus?

Personally I have zero concerns about our offensive line. They and the defensive line will not be the culprits if the Bills season undershoots expectations.

This^^

That would be very scary for me as a Bills fan if these professional athletes at the NFL level need that to motivate or focus them.

Just because they are professionals, doesnt mean they dont need some kicks in the rear every once in a while. Talk like this to the media, at this point in the (pre)season, usually is only to get guys to perform better in their practices and dress rehearsals. Levitre is a respected member of that OL. He's probably just lighting a fire under some guys now, when it is the time to do that.