Justin Rogers : surprise player of the year

QB Bills

One guy that has flown under the radar and has kind of been forgotten is Justin Rogers. In my opinion, he looked really good last year in the limited role he had. He reminded me of Jabari Greer the first year or so when he had to fight for playing time. A lot of fans knew he was good, but because of his lack of pedigree, he had to wait longer than he should have to become a starter.

This isn't to pile on to Aaron Williams, but I feel that people are pinning their hopes on him because he was a second round pick, not because of anything he's shown so far. I thought he was below average all year and I didn't see any progress later on like some people are saying. Obviously they're both really young, and maybe AW will end up being the better player, but as of right now, I'd say Rogers is hands down a smarter and better DB. Hopefully he gets a chance to show it this year.

My ideal depth chart for CB would be:

McGee

Gilmore

Rogers (who becomes a starter after the inevitable McGee injury)

Brooks

Williams

(every other player, coach, trainer, office staff)

McKelvin

Edited by QB Bills

He’s got to get on the field first, he’s been injured all preseason. Word is he may be active this week against the Steelers. I agree he showed flashes at CB and as a returner but if he can’t get on the field, he’s going to have a hard time making the team. I do like the comparison to Greer. Personally, I’d rather we keep Rogers than McLovin.

Well I agree with your take on Rogers I can't get behind your ideal CBs for 2012 and going forward. Here's my list:

Gilmore- will be shut down soon enough and one of the best in the league

Brooks- just lime Gilmore, will be shut down. This kid is really good and is always making a good play on the ball or forcing it incomplete, will be starting with Gilmore soon enough

Williams- is perfect for the nickle QB spot. He's big and physical, could be a safety if we needed him to but we should be asking him to cover the big TEs of the division

McKelvin- if you had to say McKelvin was your starter, you'd be in bad shape, but in this scenario he's our 4th best and that makes him good enough. Plus it's a contract year and you should see him play better than ever before. Do I think we keep him going forward? Not one bit, but he should be kept this year to prove it

Rogers- much like Brooks, he played very well last year when he got his chances. I could see him taking the dime spot for sure. Possibly the nickle against teams that don't have big physical TEs but speedy WRs. Plus he could be the return ace of this team for years to come. That means getting some of our starters (Spiller, and Brad Smith if you consider the WC QB a starter) off the special teams plays

and here is where I show my hatred for having McGee in the team. U uses to love the guy but man he just can't do it anymore. I've been to 3-4 practices this year and the most I've ever seen Him do was get burned by the 2nd stringers and ride the stationary bike. I think his career has been over for years now. I've known he was getting injured every year since we resigned him and let go of Greer. One of the Worst mistakes in recent years IMO to go with aging vet showing signs of injury and slowing down over the young stud who's proved himself all the way from the bottom of the depth charts. I love McGee but I hope he's unemployed come September. If McGee could even stay healthy for 8 games I'd say keep him, but he can't even get healthy and stay healthy for camp. Is there anyone here that doesn't crack a joke aboutcGeebneing injured again whenever they see a golf cart? Or is that just me?

With that being said, I'll give my 6th spot to:

Prince Miller- don't know much about the kid, saw a few flashes here and there this year. He's young and fast which is the exact reason why I'd keep him over and old, and slow, and injured vet. I don't have anyone else to give the spot to so he's my best case for a shot to prove something, ala Greer.

Sorry for the few typos. Just woke up and not seeing or typing clearly apparently.

how this team handles mcgee and mckelvin will make a huge difference. I think you see atleast one in the starting lineup day one. a lot will hinge on mcgees current (or atleast in 2 weeks) health.

i dont know that i would love going into the season with

#1 - Rookie

#2 - 2nd year

#3 - Rookie

#4 - 2nd year

as a lot of the people down on mcgee and mckelvin, but high on rogers and brooks seem to be edging towards.

Prince Miller ? Really ? After he just exposed his junk in Las Vegas and has Buckingham Palace all in a tizzy ?

McKayla would not be amused if Prince makes the squad.

mckayla-maroney-not-amused.jpg?w=640

I really have no idea what all this is. I'm not sure if I've missed something or your just making a mockery of my proposed list of Bills DBs. To that I say, I think Terrance McGee has made a mockery of the Bills by stealing countless millions of the teams money and not staying on the field for more than opening kickoffs. I want him off this team. He doesn't contribute to anything if he can't play.

Starting rookies doesn't bother me if they're playing the best. Right now, based on everything I've seen, the best CB's are Gilmore and Brooks. I would follow that up with Williams and McKelvin in nickel and dime packages. In his prime, I loved Terrence McGee. The problem is that he's not in his prime anymore. He'll be close to 32 when the season starts and just doesn't have that explosive burst that made him a good cornerback in his youth. Given his size (barely 5 foot 9), he simply cannot cover bigger wideouts without it. It's good to hear that Rogers and Miller are coming on strong as well. If McKelvin continues getting burned, I would be fine relegating him to special teams duty and letting the younger guys play. The only way you truly learn is by being on the field, facing opposition.

I really have no idea what all this is. I'm not sure if I've missed something or your just making a mockery of my proposed list of Bills DBs. To that I say, I think Terrance McGee has made a mockery of the Bills by stealing countless millions of the teams money and not staying on the field for more than opening kickoffs. I want him off this team. He doesn't contribute to anything if he can't play.

Yes, accepting money and then getting injured in a combat sport is "stealing".

Stealing? He renegotiated his contract to take substantially less money than he was supposed to get to stay on the team. Your characterization of "making a mockery" of the team is way off base. McGee has been a stand up guy his whole career with the Bills.

Yes its a multi-joke. I'm guessing that A) You did not watch the summer olympics and B) You dont read the news online.

I was gently taking a jab at your Prince Miller choice with dry humor but you didnt get it. If bored, Google McKayla Maroney

and Prince Harry in the news. I definitely disagree with your assessment of McGee "stealing" money from the team.

He was injured playing for the team. I guess anyone getting workers comp is also stealing by your definition. The players are paid highly because their careers are short and they risk permanent injuries daily. The team seemed to have no problem signing him to a contract that pays if injured. Why do you ?

One guy that has flown under the radar and has kind of been forgotten is Justin Rogers. In my opinion, he looked really good last year in the limited role he had. He reminded me of Jabari Greer the first year or so when he had to fight for playing time. A lot of fans knew he was good, but because of his lack of pedigree, he had to wait longer than he should have to become a starter.

This isn't to pile on to Aaron Williams, but I feel that people are pinning their hopes on him because he was a second round pick, not because of anything he's shown so far. I thought he was below average all year and I didn't see any progress later on like some people are saying. Obviously they're both really young, and maybe AW will end up being the better player, but as of right now, I'd say Rogers is hands down a smarter and better DB. Hopefully he gets a chance to show it this year.

McGee

Gilmore

Brooks

Williams

McKelvin

Easy to fly under the radar when you never leave the hangar. Rogers needs to get healthy and grab some reps soon or he's gonna be playing catch-up for a roster spot. If McGee shows anything in the next couple weeks, and it's rumored that he's starting to feel better, Rogers may just get caught up in a numbers game. If we didn't have a bunch of guys who can also do return work, I'd feel better about his chances, but we look well stocked in the return game.

Get healthy, Justin!

GO BILLS!!!

McGee

Gilmore

Brooks

Williams

McKelvin

I really have to question your player evaluation here. I just couldn't disagree with you more.

Rogers has seen no playing time at starting CB in the NFL, so I don't see how you could say he would make a better option than AW. Rogers showed flashes of being decent depth for a 7th round pick, but he got beat plenty of times playing out of the dime and nickle spots. He has never been matched up against against top WR's. He was a 7th for a reason.

Also, as many others have stated (even though you don't agree with it for some reason), Williams played pretty well towards the end of last year, especially considering he was a rookie, with no training camp, and was injured for half the season.

Most importantly to this conversation, Rogers may actually be a long shot just to make the team this year. He has had injury problems, and some of the other young DB's in camp have played very well. And while I am no McKelvin fan at CB, he is all but guaranteed to make the team. His return skills alone make him worth it. McGee also a long shot to make the team, like Rogers, he is still recovering from injury, and supposedly that recovery is not going well.

If AW does struggle, the next name that comes to mind is Brooks. He has been the most impressive DB in camp so far, with Howell the sleeper safety coming up a close second.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

How many DB's (CB & S) are usually kept, 8 or 9?

CB:

1.) Gillmore

2.) Williams

3.) Brooks

4.) McGee

S:

1.) Byrd

2.) Wilson

3.) Searcy

4.) Howell

The potential 9th spot would be a toss up for McKelvin & Rogers, however;

Though I do share the opinion of McGee (used to love him & now's he's all but washed up) he's still less of a risk/better option than Rogers and McKelvin initially. However, if McGee doesn't cut it I hope it's Brooks on the short list rather than McKelvin. I think Rogers is a long shot this year, unfortunately...even if we keep 9 DB's.

There's a big BUT in there though as Chanix has proved, time and again, they do not fear cutting an underperforming vet in favor of a young player with good upside. This scenario bodes well for both Brooks (although I think he's safe anyway) and Rogers if they cut bait on McGee & McKelvin.

Prince Miller is still PS eligible, I believe.

Man, I would hate to be a coach faced with these decisions.

How many DB's (CB & S) are usually kept, 8 or 9?

CB:

1.) Gillmore

2.) Williams

3.) Brooks

4.) McGee

S:

1.) Byrd

2.) Wilson

3.) Searcy

4.) Howell

The potential 9th spot would be a toss up for McKelvin & Rogers, however;

Though I do share the opinion of McGee (used to love him & now's he's all but washed up) he's still less of a risk/better option than Rogers and McKelvin initially. However, if McGee doesn't cut it I hope it's Brooks on the short list rather than McKelvin. I think Rogers is a long shot this year, unfortunately...even if we keep 9 DB's.

There's a big BUT in there though as Chanix has proved, time and again, they do not fear cutting an underperforming vet in favor of a young player with good upside. This scenario bodes well for both Brooks (although I think he's safe anyway) and Rogers if they cut bait on McGee & McKelvin.

Prince Miller is still PS eligible, I believe.

Man, I would hate to be a coach faced with these decisions.

We will keep more than 8. Atleast 9, and honestly, maybe even a 10th depending on how PS opportunities shake out.

As it stands, your roster of 8 when in a dime defense, would have no backup corners. you have to remember, we are talking about filling 5+ spots on the field a majority of defensive snaps.

Yes its a multi-joke. I'm guessing that A) You did not watch the summer olympics and B) You dont read the news online.

I was gently taking a jab at your Prince Miller choice with dry humor but you didnt get it. If bored, Google McKayla Maroney

and Prince Harry in the news. I definitely disagree with your assessment of McGee "stealing" money from the team.

He was injured playing for the team. I guess anyone getting workers comp is also stealing by your definition. The players are paid highly because their careers are short and they risk permanent injuries daily. The team seemed to have no problem signing him to a contract that pays if injured. Why do you ?

We are both at the butt end of a joke it seems. I did watch limited info on the Olympics but was not into any of the off the field/track/sand/pool stuff. So if there was something, obviously I didn't get it.

You as well as many others in this post apparently think i was serious about the word "stealing". I wasn't of course but in a joking manner since he's played about (and I'm guessing without actually looking) 16 games in the last 4 years. I've never hidden my feelings towards McGee since the day we resigned him and let Greer walk. He was getting old and showing signs of broken parts at the time. Juron and the FO at the time made the wrong descision on that one. With that said, when I've been at practice this summer (4 times) he has never been on the field with anything but 2nd teamers. He hasn't looked good against rookie WR Graham or anyone else for that matter. He gets pushed around physicaly and looks slow. When he is not on the field (which is most of the time) he is in front of every fan there on the sideline pedeling away on the stationary bike and slowly doing directional drills that look like they are at 1/4 speed at best. Of course I font think he stole money. He was signed. It's not my $$ and I could care less about that. What I do care about is having players that can and will be on the field and can contribute to a winning season. McGee will be injured in his first game back if he makes the team and then will slowly die on IR for the rest of the season. The youth movement is usually the way to go when you talking about DBs because they rely on speed and movement so much.

As to those that ask if I look down on people who are out on comp. It depends on the situation. Some clearly take advantage of the system in place. I've personally witnessed people "injuring" themselves to get summers off, or hunting season off quite a few times. So yeah, if the situation is BS. I have no respect for those people. They are stealing money IMO.

We will keep more than 8. Atleast 9, and honestly, maybe even a 10th depending on how PS opportunities shake out.

As it stands, your roster of 8 when in a dime defense, would have no backup corners. you have to remember, we are talking about filling 5+ spots on the field a majority of defensive snaps.

Fair enough, & a good point. I should have stated, more clearly, that the depth I listed are, iMHO, the top 4 in the running. Keeping 9, even 10, would obviously give a nod to another CB or 2 as 4 is plenty @ FS & SS.

If I remember correctly, isn't Searcy a converted corner? If so, that gives some versatility and another option for the Dime, supposing we only keep 9.

Yeah, I actually think 9 is the number. 5 CB's, 4 Safeties. It's possible the Bills could even go with just 3 safeties, but I doubt it in this pass happy league.

Potter will likely take an extra roster spot, and don't forget Bryan Scott is almost assured a roster spot as a LB (Even though he is really a safety). So I don't think 10 DB's is really an option.

I think it will look like this...CB: Gilmore, Williams, Brooks, McKelvin and one of the young guys (probably Rogers, maybe Green). Safety: Wilson, Byrd, Searcy, Howell.

Sorry, McGee fans (including myself) he just isn't healthy enough to contribute, I just don't see him making the team. By his own admission, the recovery isn't going well for McGee.

Edited by Turbosrrgood