Annoying "NFLSpeak". Mine is "no question".

Invariably, when one of the talking heads starts talking, at least one of them will say something like: "There's no question that Peyton Manning will make the Broncos offense better".

If there's no question...then why the F are you bothering? Stating the obvious is not "insight", nor is it "analysis".

The other way they use it: when they dangerously close to saying something idiotic...they retreat by saying something like "well of course there's no question that the Bills are a different team today".

Enough with "no question". It's a cliche....that is used to state the obvious, or cover attempted stupidity, which makes it worse.

What's yours?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In this league"

First of all, what other league could we possibly be talking about? Secondly, it makes the person saying it sound like a pompous ass who in some way knows something you don't because they've played "in this league" and know what others players need to do to be successful "in this league". It pisses me off every time someone says it.

I'm HUMBLED by the fact that there is no human being in the history of humanity nor will there ever be a human in the future that is as perfect as I am because I am the greatest to have ever have lived and you should all count your self extremely lucky to witness my perfect greatness. It is humbling.

In space, no one can hear you scream "I'm open."

All the draft-related language cracks me up: natural athlete (he doesn't know the game), high-motor (Ryan Denney clone), intangibles (the analyst has unexamined feelings). Basically anything that Kiper uses to sound like he knows what he is talking about, all the phrases that only have meeting for a few weeks in the spring.

Plus anything that Dan Dierdorf ever said.

kj

I'm HUMBLED by the fact that there is no human being in the history of humanity nor will there ever be a human in the future that is as perfect as I am because I am the greatest to have ever have lived and you should all count your self extremely lucky to witness my perfect greatness. It is humbling.

I have never understood why being honored is humbling, such as when a player receives an award or is voted into the Hall of Fame. That is just about the opposite of what I would expect. Are they trying to say that they might not be as worthy as some of the great players in the history of the game? That I could understand, but I don't see the word HUMBLE as an appropriate adjective in that situation.

I have never understood why being honored is humbling, such as when a player receives an award or is voted into the Hall of Fame. That is just about the opposite of what I would expect. Are they trying to say that they might not be as worthy as some of the great players in the history of the game? That I could understand, but I don't see the word HUMBLE as an appropriate adjective in that situation.

I agree I don't believe the people that say those sentences understand the definition of the word. No one has successfully explained how statements like that are grammatically correct usage of the word Humbled.

- out-physicalled

- out with a knee (or any other body part)

- i have to do what's best for my family (during contract talks)

- the only people that matter are in this dressing room (meaning, the fans can go screw themselves too)

- nobody believed in us

- and the bills drop another heartbreaker

The biggest nails-on-chalkboard phrase for me (and you hear it in all sports really) is: "It is what it is."

Ugh. Either say what you mean, which is absolutely nothing at all or "f#^* you, I'm not offering an opinion."