Top ten reasons the Bills don't make the playoffs

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It's hard to win in the NFL - well it is true. The Jets, Pats, Bills, Steelers, Bengals, Ravens, Texans, Broncos, Chargers, and Chiefs all have legit shots at the 6 playoff spots and the Titans and Raiders could surprise people.

2. The LB corp is just not good.

3. Wannstedt has washed out of the last three coaching jobs he has had and was at least partly responsible for the mess last year.

4. The DL may still not be able to stop the run.

5. The WR is as lacking in talent as it is deep in mediocrity.

6. The best O-lineman is coming off his second serious leg injury.

7. A rookie will start at LT.

8. Fitz will throw at least one if not three horrific passes a game.

9. Freddie is old and coming off a leg injury

10. Tom Brady

All good reasons. It's all very well possible. We'll have to wait and see which of these factors will stick to the wall...

The "1-10 Ryan Fitzpatrick" comment works, though it could obviously go either way. Good Ryan = playoffs.

"That team had such a terrific season despite the terrible QB play ...." isn't a quote that's heard too frequently.

Is it just me or is Vince Young completely ignored? Let me check the roster?

Yep, he is still there.....

Edited by HOUSE

My realistic two reasons:

1. Injuries. Get us every year.

2. Around game 8, Gailey's refusal to mix up the plays. The reason the Bills start out white hot is because they show nothing in preseason and it takes teams about 3-4 games to get solid game tape. Once they do, you get the Bills/Bengals game of last year...and you have to mix things up. The NFL does not abide by the rule of the stonecutter.

The "1-10 Ryan Fitzpatrick" comment works, though it could obviously go either way. Good Ryan = playoffs.

"That team had such a terrific season despite the terrible QB play ...." isn't a quote that's heard too frequently.

It's true. And the Titanic had a very nice last voyage except for some minor water leakage issues.

My realistic two reasons:

1. Injuries. Get us every year.

2. Around game 8, Gailey's refusal to mix up the plays. The reason the Bills start out white hot is because they show nothing in preseason and it takes teams about 3-4 games to get solid game tape. Once they do, you get the Bills/Bengals game of last year...and you have to mix things up. The NFL does not abide by the rule of the stonecutter.

I'll bet that you can't name three impact players that were injured on the Bills last season?

I'll start you off:

Woods

K. Williams

I don't count McGee because he's literally injured more than he's not and if the team's relying on him then shame on them, he's a self-fulfilling prophecy regarding injuries.

Name one other impact player that went out for the majority of the season?

Many of the players on last season's injury list were hurt in preseason or in camp even, and a bunch wouldn't have even made the team otherwise. They were backups.

Meanwhile, look at teams like Houston who made the playoffs w/o Schaub and Mario. Did the Bills have players like that missing? No.

The injury thing is highly overrated if all you have are depth players on IR.

The Bills problem wasn't depth. Their whole roster is depth caliber players. The problem is and was starters.

Even this season they're starting at least one OLB spot w/ a player more suited to depth. Sheppard may turn out to be nothing but a depth player as well, he wasn't very good last season.

They have mystery meat at CB, both spots.

Fitz has been a backup and the experiment to try to turn him into a starter is coming to an end this season.

Half the OL are depth players. Glenn's mystery meat.

All of the WRs and TEs besides Johnson are depth players.

The assumption with this injuries argument is that the team would have been good and made the playoffs if not for the injuries.

I'm just curious which playoff caliber players were on IR last season?

As to Gailey, the man's a dunce. I'll say it now, this is his last season head-coaching in the NFL, as it should be. If he makes it to next season it's only because there's not enough heat on Nix.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I can't believe I wasted my time reading this thread. Everyone sucks and we're doomed. Got it, I'll just send my season tickets through the shredder now since apparently two preseason games are enough evidence that we are the worst team in the league.

At least some posts have some substance to them.

The wastes of time are innumerable posts such as yours.

LOL

Seriously though, we see who makes it every season, and it's not coaches like Gailey and GMs like Nix, both of whom have hardly any experience and are both downward trending.

No one's singing Jacksonville's praises with Mularkey coaching and Gene Smith as GM. But what's the difference? Hardly anything.

I hope you aren't counting your posts as ones with substance. Piss, moan, and bag on the FO and coaches. You seem to have a formula that you stick to.

I hope you aren't counting your posts as ones with substance. Piss, moan, and bag on the FO and coaches. You seem to have a formula that you stick to.

LOL

Yes, how I have no basis to stand on given the last ten years of occurrences at OBD and their string of success is really laughable.

;)

Edited by TaskersGhost

I think the Bills are improved but until they prove it on the field, they are closer to one of the bottom 6 teams in the AFC then one of the top 6 teams in the AFC. They have favorable schedule, I think the Jets are less of a team then last year, but who knows, that is why they play the games.

Edited by BuffBill

The biggest reason for me right now is the play of the linebackers. When the first team has been in there going against the opposing first team, they're just not doing their job. They've allowed teams to march right down the field and score. I really don't put much into the play of the second and third string. On the offensive side of the ball, we really haven't seen anything yet. They're working on aspects of the offense right now and not trying to win games. This is what they should be doing at this point. We won't see the finished product until the last preseason game, and that could be limited just the same. I am definitely concerned with the linebackers though.

I know those two preseason games are hard to ignore, but it is a loooong season and it is a fact, that preseason is extremely misleading; not just the score, everything.

Yes, we gotta get way better play from the SOLB and Sheppard. I just don't understand how he can look that bad. I am going to ignore everything until after the jerlks game though. And even if we lose, I am certainly going to note how we lost. I certainly liked sheppard at LSU and he looked promising last year. I will try to focus on that.

Before preseason, I felt certain all the above complaints were adressed. Yeah, we gotta a rookie left tackle. But we can help him in september and hopefully by December, he is instead a major weapon.

Maybe this is the year wood turns it around...Ted Washington overcame more to be the greatest run defender ever. Wood can comeback and will.

If that defensive line can't stop the run, I might as well quit watching football.....maybe.....maybe, Anderson is no good at it (i think he is as long as his plays are limited) but I know the other four ( or if Merriman comes back five) can play the run.

Barnettt showed no signs of aging last year, none. I'm sticking with that.

I am also worried about the other corner spot, opposite Gilmore is questionable. (by the way, I also expect December Gilmore to be much better than Septembers, so chillax everyone.. I really want to see Justice Rogers return to practice fast. I really think he can help. I also think we need him. At some point, he is gonna make that secondary better. I know if McGee plays (or the games he does play, hopefully in December and beyond, he makes us way better all-around. He is a difference maker for us.

Merriman another huge injury risk guy, but if he gets better and better thoughout the season, he can truly dominate in all phases of the game and will rub off on his teammates. He could be the thing that changes our fortune, one more probowl type player.

I know Super will look a lot better in week one, he has nothing to prove and just wants to get outta these games.....

So, for me, it is the defnse I think could be winning games for us or be dominating.

On offense, I do think we are going to have to live with that one to three ugly passes/game. I think we can overcome that though. At least as far as making the playoffs go. After that, he'd probably havta get hotter which he can for three games. I think that there is no doubt that he'll more resemble early fitz than late fitz over the course of the year. And you havta admit, there is solid reasoning that he should be even better than good fitz this fall.

I think graham alone makes us better at wr this year. I also think a healthy stavie alone makes us better than last year.He played with that torn hamstring all year and it was very visible most of the games. I think think Jones is improving coming into his third year and Nelson for the same reason and practicing with tim brown. and the last one or two guys who make it, will probably help more than last year's tail enders.

It is hard for me to hear anyone complain about our RBs, we are fine here, you'll see.

At some point, I believe that Brad Smith is gonna really help us, I just don't know how many games that will be.

And as far as People who think fans have no effect on the game, they just don't see it. Fans have lifted up sport teams or figures thoughout history. It is common knowledge. The louder and more upbeat the fans are, the more the team or person will be helped by it.

Geez, it is really weird to me that someone would even state that. On on another level ( not the two obvious ones loudness and positive cheering) you have Carl Yung's cosmic conscienceness. I am certain a believer in it and I know millions of others are as well. It sort of a belief that if you put your positive thought out there, it will be multiplied with others thinking the same thing and be brought into existance sort of. It works just as well negatively too so to be positive works doubly.

I know that jets game is huge, but it certainly isn't the end of the season, let's all remember that it is how your playing in December that determines superbowl winners (once you make the dance) so let's all remain positive and beat those jerks.

If not the first time, definitely the second!

Go Bills!

It's true. And the Titanic had a very nice last voyage except for some minor water leakage issues.

I'll bet that you can't name three impact players that were injured on the Bills last season?

I'll start you off:

Woods

K. Williams

I don't count McGee because he's literally injured more than he's not and if the team's relying on him then shame on them, he's a self-fulfilling prophecy regarding injuries.

Name one other impact player that went out for the majority of the season?

Many of the players on last season's injury list were hurt in preseason or in camp even, and a bunch wouldn't have even made the team otherwise. They were backups.

Meanwhile, look at teams like Houston who made the playoffs w/o Schaub and Mario. Did the Bills have players like that missing? No.

The injury thing is highly overrated if all you have are depth players on IR.

The Bills problem wasn't depth. Their whole roster is depth caliber players. The problem is and was starters.

Even this season they're starting at least one OLB spot w/ a player more suited to depth. Sheppard may turn out to be nothing but a depth player as well, he wasn't very good last season.

They have mystery meat at CB, both spots.

Fitz has been a backup and the experiment to try to turn him into a starter is coming to an end this season.

Half the OL are depth players. Glenn's mystery meat.

All of the WRs and TEs besides Johnson are depth players.

The assumption with this injuries argument is that the team would have been good and made the playoffs if not for the injuries.

I'm just curious which playoff caliber players were on IR last season?

As to Gailey, the man's a dunce. I'll say it now, this is his last season head-coaching in the NFL, as it should be. If he makes it to next season it's only because there's not enough heat on Nix.

You have an interesting style. Throw out a bunch of unsubstantiated opinion and dare people to prove you wrong with facts. I will not bother to point out the number of starters on IR as well as depth players on IR, or certainly not argue the value of these players, as your premise seems to be since they all suck it does not matter. This would be laughable if it was not so intellectually bankrupt. Instead it is just sad. Beyond that, nothing you have posted on this topic bears discussion.